4.0.4. update killed my battery life!!

travis41992

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else been experiencing problems with their battery life since this update? I went from charging my phone once a day to now 3 or 4 times a day! I called sprint and the guy said there is no way to switch back. Any solutions?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Many are. Possible solutions are...

1) Perform a factory reset
2) Set wifi to sleep when your screen off, or even turn off wifi entirely when you're not using it.
3) If you have an sd card installed, remove it, and see if your battery life improves.

If these things fail, you can always manually rollback to Gingerbread for now. I have a guide in this forum on how to do it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

CRS1

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Most of the people that got the ICS update took some kind of negative hit. Mine was battery life and 4G stopped working. I called Sprint a bunch of times, and even went into Sprint stores and they told me I was pretty much SOL. Or they played stupid like you're the 1st person who has reported this issue.

Anyway, after some serious complaining to Sprint I was able to get a brand new replacement phone from the them. Back on GB, battery is good and 4G works like a champ!

Keep in mind, this took many, many, many, many, many calls and store visits to Sprint. But now I have a phone that works 100% the way it's supposed to work.

I know that there are people here trying to help each other out by trying several things. But in reality you shouldn't have to take the SD card out to improve your battery life or try all these crazy things. When things were clearly working before the upgrade.

This was a big FAIL on Sprint and Samsung.

Good Luck! I feel your pain. I was there for a whole week. Back on a brand new GS2 with GB. :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

travis41992

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
@CRS you couldnt have said ot ANY better my friend.. Just got off the phone with them and they are reccomending a factory reset. The reason they cant send me a new phone is because any new phones they send out will have the current version of software so i wouldnt get GB i would have ICS again. .. I thought that was bull . If the factory reset doesnt work im callin my provider attorneys at legal shield and having them write a nice letter to sprint for me ;)

CRS1

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
@CRS you couldnt have said ot ANY better my friend.. Just got off the phone with them and they are reccomending a factory reset. The reason they cant send me a new phone is because any new phones they send out will have the current version of software so i wouldnt get GB i would have ICS again. .. I thought that was bull . If the factory reset doesnt work im callin my provider attorneys at legal shield and having them write a nice letter to sprint for me ;)

That's bull!!!

None of the new GS2's have ICS in them. Seriously...they must think we are morons.

They all come with GB. When I was getting the paperwork done for my replacement phone, the Sprint Rep told me all the new GS2s come with GB.

Have your friend write a good letter to Sprint. This all was a cluster and we, the paying customers are getting screwed! Raise hell and someone will eventually listen.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
That's bull!!!

None of the new GS2's have ICS in them. Seriously...they must think we are morons.

They all come with GB. When I was getting the paperwork done for my replacement phone, the Sprint Rep told me all the new GS2s come with GB.

Have your friend write a good letter to Sprint. This all was a cluster and we, the paying customers are getting screwed! Raise hell and someone will eventually listen.

Huh...my husband just talked to a csr this morning who offered us a deal on two E4GTs (which we are getting Friday) , and she said they would come with ICS on them. I know better than to believe everything customer service says, but I'm interested to see which csr us right... :confused:

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has a sale going with the Galaxy s2..buy one get one free.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

blars1206

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Try downloading better battery stats and see if you have the AudioOut_1 bug under partial wakelocks. If you do, turn off all system sounds like touch sounds, lockscreen sounds, dial sounds, etc. I had the bug and after turning those off my idle battery drain dropped to 1-2% an hour.

MereMul

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I am so frustrated with this right now. I spoke to Sprint on the phone and they said that I would have to come back into the store and they can push the original OS back onto the phone, but they also told me that this was 100 percent Samsung's fault -- that they pushed the upgrade and Sprint had nothing to do with it. I went to the Samsung Contact Page and emailed the support staff as well as the CEO, because why not?
I've added the Advanced Task Killer, but it just seems like its not going to get any better. I don't want to carry my charger with me everywhere -- is going back to Sprint the only option?
I am not as tech-savvy as you guys seem to be, so can you tell me if there are any other options?
Thanks!

IQZero56

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Sprint stores are saying to bring it in or do a hard reset and the problem is supposed to go away.. very nice of them to know this problem exists and not reach out to their customers and help them... Thank you Samsung... and thank you Sprint!

Fatherboard

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
If you clear the cach partition, it fixes the battery issue. At least, it did for me. You have to go to the Systems Recovery Page. To do this, its preferable that you have full battery). Then turn your phone off. Then you have to hold the Power Button and the Increase Volume button at the same time. Let go off ONLY THE POWER BUTTON right when you see the Samsung Galaxy S II logo. This will get you to the systems recovery page. Then, using the volume buttons scroll down to where it says clear cach partition. Select it using the power button. After it clears it, click Reboot Now. It will take a little longer to reboot but just let it do its thing. Then when the lock screen comes up, unlock it then wait. There should be a window that pops up saying "Finalizing Update." Wait until it finishes and you're good to go.

Reactions: kgzero

rdrean

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I cleared the cache, and it brought up the Finalizing firmware box. That has been "running" for about an hour and a half. how long should that run. And if I restart or pull battery to stop it will that cause big damage? what is my proper action at this point?

Fatherboard

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
@rdrean if that box stays there just click cancel. If the battery issues persist then clear the cache partition again.

haxxa

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
If you have an Exchange mail account setup you should remove it and re-add it. As absurd as that sounds it fixed my battery issues on both 4.0.3 and 4.0.4.
As I type this i'm 93% battery after 2h 55m.

No need for factory reset. Totally unnecessary to do that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34