08-14-2012 12:53 PM
29 12
tools
    Fourth day with ICS could not reload Deer Hunter African Safari not compatible, and my pics in contacts when open are still enlarged and fuzzy but incredible battery life will keep posted.
    08-09-2012 12:00 AM
    heavy use battery life is at 65 percrnt and 12 hrs in.love it.
    08-09-2012 12:28 AM
    I got the OTA update today and my battery drained in a few minutes this evening, so I'm going to go for the factory reset.

Two questions:

1) When you say that you didn't restore data do you mean app data or like SMS logs? I'd like to keep my call logs and dictionary and stuff, but not if it's going to screw ICS. I also have a few apps I would like to restore data for from their own backups (colornote, noodles, anydo, beyond pod feeds, so pretty simple stuff not like game data or anything)

2) What is a battery pull restart? You mean turn it off, remove battery, put battery back in, and turn on phone? How does that help?

Thanks!

Elton
    Look for an app in the play store called "my back up pro"
    And yes that's a battery pull reset basically. You'll fully charge the battery, turn off your phone, take out the battery, let it sit for a few minutes then put it back in

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    08-09-2012 12:34 AM
    I was one of those people that was having issues with ICS on E4GT. Some problems were:
    1. Bottom buttons would have a startup lag when turning on the display--would not function.
    2. GPS was non-functonal.
    3. LOS issues, especially with 4g.
    4. Frequent force closes of apps.
    5. Some other issues I can't rememeber right now

How I upgraded from EL29 to ICS 4.0.4:
    I also never got the ICS push so I downloaded it and installed it with Odin. I did not do a factory reset because I was lazy and wanted to keep my data and setup. Technically, Samsung would not require you to factory reset your phone to upgrade... but in reality this type of upgrade is the reason for all of my problems.

To fix:
    1. I used AppBak app to backup all of my apps for reinstallation after. This would work assuming you have an SD Card installed.

2. I Odined back to EL29 with root using the following youtube tutorial:
    I chose the Odin file that does not preserve your data.

3. I started the phone and connected it to WIFI to download the ICS update. I used the phone's internal updater "Check for Android Update" under the settings menu, about phone--not Kies or anything like that.

4. Started the update. Once the phone installed ICS and restarted, I turned off my phone. I held the power and volume up to boot into the standard samsung recovery (shouldn't be clockworkmod after your Odin back to EL29) and I cleared all cache/dev cache and did a factory reset.

5. Reinstall all previous programs using AppBak.

This procedure completely fixed my problems and now the phone runs great. It's hard to tell whether or not it is faster than GB since GB ran like butter... but the interface is definately improved. I use Go Launcher since Samsung did not include the proper ICS launcher with this update.

I am not sure if step 4 is required, but I included it for good measure in case starting the phone in GB created cache files that we're not subsequently removed by installing ICS OTA. Considering all the problems with the initial installation, I wasn't going to cut corners and take a chance.
    08-14-2012 12:53 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD