Screen not responding! Any way to get access to phone?

Ed_Strong

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Mi little one decided to test my wifes Epic 4G Touch for water resistance and soap, and the phone failed the test! I don't know if the phone was actually submerged on water or not but the little one did not tell till my wife found the phone non operational next day.

She immediately took the battery off and ran the hair dryer on it for like half hour and was able to revive it. Impressively everything works as it should with the exception of the screen not recognicing touch, making it impossible to gain access to it!

She's getting a replacement phone tomorrow but wants to get all the pictures and videos out of this one. I was thinking of a Hard Reset to get thru the password lock screen since she can't type the password code, but that would delete the files she wants to save!

So are any other options? I've done many restarts to no avail, and when I connect to the PC it sees SPH-D710, but tells me there are no files on the device since I cannot tap to select the USB connect option.

Ed_Strong

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, but the problem is that the screen even tho it turns on as normal, it does not respond to tapping on it. Thats why I'm not able to get past the password lock screen to get access the apps or files!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, but the problem is that the screen even tho it turns on as normal, it does not respond to tapping on it. Thats why I'm not able to get past the password lock screen to get access the apps or files!

Dumb question, but most of the memory on the epic 4g is an external chip, isn't it? Can you remove the chip and use a card reader?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Ed_Strong

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Dumb question, but most of the memory on the epic 4g is an external chip, isn't it? Can you remove the chip and use a card reader?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Nope, everything was saved to the phones internal memory (non removable), I wish it would have been that easy!
When the phone is connected thru USB, it is actually recognized and the PC sees SPH-D710, but tells me there are no files on the device because I cannot tap my way to the screen to select the USB connect option.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I know this won't help you now, but in the future consider making a Google+ account. Then enable instant upload. That way, the moment you take a photo (or video), it is saved onto your Google+ account. And it's free. Saved on the cloud. Never lost. :):cool:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rykatemom

roosterqc

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
If you have to ask what adb access is you don't have it. Are you rooted? Is USB debugging enabled on the phone?

Sent from my awesomely EPIC Phone

Ed_Strong

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope, the phone was not rooted and I do believe that USB Debugging was enabled.

I was just hoping for a way to connect something like a USB keyboard and mouse and be able to navigate thru the password lock screen and be able to go to settings and extract the files before sending the phone back!

Sprint Techs at store told her they cannot do it, but I believe theres gotta be a way!

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Instead of thirty minutes with a hair dryer...

Shut the phone off.
Pull the battery out.
Wrap both in a paper towel.
Seal both, wrapped in paper towels, into ziplock baggie full of dry rice.
Wait 48 hours before unsealing the baggie.
Plug battery back in and try it.

xtn

Reactions: rykatemom

Ed_Strong

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried just pluging the phone into a conputer

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

It' in the OP...

So are any other options? I've done many restarts to no avail, and when I connect to the PC it sees SPH-D710, but tells me there are no files on the device since I cannot tap to select the USB connect option.

I've tried many drying options including the bag with rice and no go either!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde