how do I permanently ignore the 4.0.4 ICS update?

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
This method worked for me. I'm rooted, but have no custom ROMs or anything else installed. I dont have CWM installed either. Just EL29 rooted only.

[How-to] Disable OTA updates on Stock + Rooted ROMs - xda-developers

I installed the ES Explore program as well as ES Task Manager.

Using ES Explore I kept having troubles copying the FOTAKill.apk file to the /system/app
directory until I granted the ES Explore program SuperUser access. Once that was done, I was able to copy the file from the Download directory to the /system/app directory, reboot and Viola! no more OTA update notifications.

majstc1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I accepted the update after going back to Gingerbread because someone here said it wouldnt work on rooted phones. Well it went thru anyway and now I have ICS again, but its working just fine now with ICS. No more issues with the phone not sleeping and the battery now lasts at least 12 hours, so im feeling better about ICS

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

er99

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
i have a rooted S2 and used FOTAkill. it occasionally still pops up but not very often. i will go several days and only see it a couple times. not sure why it still pops up but seems to happen only after reboots. good enough for me. i can stand it a few times here and there, before FOTAkill i would get the damn popup 20+ times a day.

markta

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
When it pop up press the more info and then pull battery out and it should stop I did that to mine and now no pop ups for the update

On Thursday morning I hit the more details button then pulled the battery. The update request has not appeared since then. Up until that point i was getting the request pretty-much non stop throughout the day.Great simple fix (fingers crossed).

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
On Thursday morning I hit the more details button then pulled the battery. The update request has not appeared since then. Up until that point i was getting the request pretty-much non stop throughout the day.Great simple fix (fingers crossed).

That's the only thing that's worked for me too.

MiracleJake

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got the system update (4.0.4) available notification and have less than zero desire to change anything on this phone which has been perfect for me in every way. Is there any good way to permanently eliminate these notification/prompts so I don't accidentally accept it at some point?
I haven't read every comment so if someone already said this I apologize... But here is what worked for me on my non rooted completely stock s2. When the prompt to update appears select "more info" then when the more info screen comes up pull the battery. Don't turn your phone off or anything, just pull the battery out. Wait for thirty seconds or so and restart your phone. I hope this helps. I did this a week ago and haven't been bothered since.

Greebe

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Raised cane w/ tech support over pushing this crap on me. They couldn't stop the ota, but did say that if you continue to ignor, it will stop on Aug. 19th. That's when they stopped pushing it out to the masses.

Tier 1 tech claimed this OTA had all the fixes. I told him whomever told him that is a F*ing LIAR. Tier 2 verified what I told tier 1 ;)