08-20-2012 10:29 PM
29 12
tools
    I just got the system update (4.0.4) available notification and have less than zero desire to change anything on this phone which has been perfect for me in every way. Is there any good way to permanently eliminate these notification/prompts so I don't accidentally accept it at some point?
    Rockdog97 likes this.
    08-08-2012 02:59 AM
    If you are rooted, simply accept the generous invitation. The install will fail and on reboot from CWM you should be good to go...if not rooted, there is an app called FOTAkill which is suppose to stop the update notifications but it didn't work for me.

Here is the thread at xda

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1463777

Here is the direct link to FOTAkill

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...8&d=1327503551
    08-08-2012 05:46 AM
    If rooted follow this link, self explanatory and easy to follow.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=28798570

Pp.

Transmitted from the future using gingerbread infused plasma conduit injectors.
    08-08-2012 08:20 AM
    Not rooted:/.. Thanks for the heads up on the thread.
    08-08-2012 08:53 AM
    If i received a new replacement phone with GB after having ICS already pushed to my previous phone will I get a new update notification?

Mark
    08-08-2012 08:58 AM
    If i received a new replacement phone with GB after having ICS already pushed to my previous phone will I get a new update notification?

Mark
    I'm pretty sure you will get it at some point.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    08-08-2012 06:29 PM

Mark
    Yes, I have a few new phones that I got for upgrades and did the OTA and had the battery drain problem. So I switched it with another phone and got the update right away with the same number.
    08-09-2012 09:34 AM
    I don't know if it's permanent, but mine hasn't popped back up in two days. Just press the home key instead of the remind me later.

08-10-2012 06:20 AM
    Its been three days now and no ICS update for my new GB phone. (knock on wood) SHHHH Don't tell anyone...
    I am just getting the voicemail upgrade request that I keep rejecting. I like things the way they are right now.
    08-10-2012 07:20 AM
    Just hit the home key instead of the remind me later.. Mine hasn't popped back up in three days..

08-10-2012 08:23 PM
    arghh! i got the update request today on my ICS replacement phone. 3x now this morning...i hit the home key and still got update request afterward.

This is going to get old really fast.
    08-12-2012 10:21 AM
    I was just playing with my phone when the update request came across ,again,I came very close to hitting the update now button inadvertently while touching the screen for something else.
    08-12-2012 11:33 AM
    Press the home screen button when it pops up, and it won't bother you again.

08-12-2012 02:23 PM
    Let me know how that works for you, our if my phone is just a fluke. Completely stock epic touch.

08-12-2012 02:27 PM
    guess my phones a fluke...

08-12-2012 07:45 PM
    Press the home screen button when it pops up, and it won't bother you again.

That doesn't work.....it still will pop up....for me anyway.....
    08-12-2012 08:05 PM
    One person said that if your phone is rooted, just accept the ICS update and you'll be fine. When I did that, ICS took over but I lost my tethering and root. Superuser program was still present but would not allow any program to use it. After updating Superuser program and checking around, I finally reinstalled from a link on Android Central a factory rooted Gingerbread. Then, the wifi tether program. Even though I lost all information that was not backed up, the phone and android have been working great. I recently began getting the Sprint upgrade to ICS notifications hourly and know I will not click ok on it. Reading further for a way to just stop the notifications. I'm sure the information is here. Just wanted to share that tidbit before moving on. Thank you.
    08-13-2012 08:31 PM
    I just got the system update (4.0.4) available notification and have less than zero desire to change anything on this phone which has been perfect for me in every way. Is there any good way to permanently eliminate these notification/prompts so I don't accidentally accept it at some point?
    If you want to ignore the update you have to refuse to take notice of or acknowledge, or disregard intentionally.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    08-13-2012 09:48 PM
    If rooted follow this link, self explanatory and easy to follow.

[How-to] Disable FF18 OTA update from downloading and bugging you (beta) - xda-developers

Pp.

Transmitted from the future using gingerbread infused plasma conduit injectors.
    ^^^^ This worked! The method I posted before seemed to have worked but I go the OTA notification again. So I flashed the linked zip file and it says I am now "updated"!

Thanks!
    08-15-2012 12:02 PM
    When it pop up press the more info and then pull battery out and it should stop I did that to mine and now no pop ups for the update
    08-15-2012 04:45 PM
    When it pop up press the more info and then pull battery out and it should stop I did that to mine and now no pop ups for the update
    How long ago was this? I've read that this only stops the update for a few days and then it comes back.
    08-16-2012 11:43 AM
    This method worked for me. I'm rooted, but have no custom ROMs or anything else installed. I dont have CWM installed either. Just EL29 rooted only.

[How-to] Disable OTA updates on Stock + Rooted ROMs - xda-developers

I installed the ES Explore program as well as ES Task Manager.

Using ES Explore I kept having troubles copying the FOTAKill.apk file to the /system/app
    directory until I granted the ES Explore program SuperUser access. Once that was done, I was able to copy the file from the Download directory to the /system/app directory, reboot and Viola! no more OTA update notifications.
    08-16-2012 01:36 PM
    I accepted the update after going back to Gingerbread because someone here said it wouldnt work on rooted phones. Well it went thru anyway and now I have ICS again, but its working just fine now with ICS. No more issues with the phone not sleeping and the battery now lasts at least 12 hours, so im feeling better about ICS

08-16-2012 04:30 PM
    How long ago was this? I've read that this only stops the update for a few days and then it comes back.
    4weeks now strill no update poping up also if u root the phone and download titatuim back up up can stop the update by freezing the system updates
    08-18-2012 07:38 AM
    i have a rooted S2 and used FOTAkill. it occasionally still pops up but not very often. i will go several days and only see it a couple times. not sure why it still pops up but seems to happen only after reboots. good enough for me. i can stand it a few times here and there, before FOTAkill i would get the damn popup 20+ times a day.
    08-18-2012 09:23 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD