After ICS update, phone is useless: unfortunately the process com

jlehrer100

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The ICS update was pushed to my phone today. After installation, I get the following error on boot up, and pretty much constantly:

"unfortunately the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped"

Unfortunately, I don't know what process is causing this problem, but it must be one that loads on startup, because the error is there even if I'm doing nothing with the phone.

Gmail sync doesn't seem to be working correctly. When trying to place an outgoing call, the error message prevents the call from completing. Incoming calls are also a problem.

My phone is not rooted, no custom ROM.

What are my options?

Even if I try to delete apps one by one, it'll take forever, because that error message slows the phone down to the point of not being functional.

1. Can I do a factory reset and get the phone back to the pre-ICS situation?

2. Should I follow these instructions to rollback to EL29:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...2158-guide-how-rollback-gingerbread-el29.html

Any/all thoughts would be appreciated.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest you start with a factory reset. That should resolve the majority of not all of your issues.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: After ICS update, phone is useless: unfortunately the process

"Gapps" is the package of Google-developed, pre-installed apps, such as calendar, phone, people, news and weather, etc. ICS is not the problem. A factory reset should solve your problems.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

JayWill72 is right, something got borked and you need to factory reset the device and install apps from the app store and do necessary updates.

jlehrer100

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I went ahead with the factory reset, and to my surprise, it reset the phone to ICS, not EL29.

Resetting via the menu system didn't work at first, as I continued to get the error message while the device was trying to shutdown and reset itself. Then I put the phone into airplane mode. Didn't stop the error message completely, but stopped it enough so that the phone was able to reset.

Reinstalling apps, Gmail, etc., has been a smooth process so far.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I went ahead with the factory reset, and to my surprise, it reset the phone to ICS, not EL29.

Resetting via the menu system didn't work at first, as I continued to get the error message while the device was trying to shutdown and reset itself. Then I put the phone into airplane mode. Didn't stop the error message completely, but stopped it enough so that the phone was able to reset.

Reinstalling apps, Gmail, etc., has been a smooth process so far.

Glad things seem to be looking better for you. Also, for future reference, you can perform a factory reset from your phone's stock recovery. You can enter that recovery by powering off, then booting your phone by holding down Vol Up + Power at the same time. Then select factory reset from the menu. This can be useful in a situation like yours, where you're having trouble with the operating system and can't navigate to the phone settings.

Sachin Hulyalkar

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys, just read your post for factory resetting from recovery. I was trying some of rooting and other stuff like that on my sgs2. its gave an error process.com.android.phone is not responding and phone was constantly restarting. but i read to do a factory reset form recovery and it just started behaving nicely. I just had a mini heart attack guys. Thanks a lot guys. I love you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781