Factory reset step-by-step

kimdushinski

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, it seems I must do the factory reset due to the ICS 4.0.4 upgrade and I am dreading it. Is there some sort of checklist or step-by-step guide about how to make it as painless as possible?

What happens with apps? Do I just have to install everything from scratch, as in find them all again in Google Play or will they be there for me waiting to just be installed? Will all data be missing from them?

What else will be gone? I don't want to be surprised.

What do I do if this doesn't fix my battery issues and the extreme slowness of my phone?

Seriously, this stresses me out so much. :'(

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to do a factory reset turn your phone off pull the battery for a minute and turn it on again. If you are going to do a reset do it in recovery mode and wipe the cache too. If you log into the play store on your computer you can see all the apps you had and install them it is way easier. Or go to the play store on your phone and go to my apps and scroll over, it will show all the apps you have ever installed but the computer is easier. A factory reset will erase every single thing on your phone so back up your contacts and everything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
This is how to really clear everything if you want factory reset. Turn off your phone then press and hold volume up and the power Button until the Samsung galaxy s2 screen pops up and let go of both. Go down to the wipe data/factory reset option and press the power button then do the same on the cache partition several times won't hurt then select reboot system now and hit the power button to restart the phone. This will clear everything then just give the update time. My battery life has gotten better over the past week I hope it does for you.

kimdushinski

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
GiantJay, thanks for your answers.

I did try the battery out and back in, but it didn't help my situation. The battery issue is just one of my problems and it does seem to be getting a bit better. The other trouble is that my phone just slows down to point of being useless. Especially when I am text messaging.

The phone starts out fine in the morning and then after a few texts it is slow as molasses. If I restart the phone it will speed back up but just for a bit.

I am going to try uninstalling all SMS related apps (Handcent, Contapps) one by one to see if that helps. I really don't want to do a reset.

eptiger

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I followed your directions but my personal files (e.g. photos, music) stuck around. Is that abnormal? I did the formatting of the cache partition several times and hit factory reset a few times and each time it said that it was successful, but in red text the console displayed this:

E: update file is backed up: Reporteded

From googling around, that sounds like a benign message (probably just sloppy coding), but I thought when I did a factory reset several months ago with Gingerbread that all my personal data went away, as well. When I rebooted it looked like stock TouchWiz ICS - all apps were gone.

I haven't had any battery issues yet since the reset, but it's only been a few hours.

Elton

omahawildcat

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, it seems I must do the factory reset due to the ICS 4.0.4 upgrade and I am dreading it. Is there some sort of checklist or step-by-step guide about how to make it as painless as possible?

What happens with apps? Do I just have to install everything from scratch, as in find them all again in Google Play or will they be there for me waiting to just be installed? Will all data be missing from them?

What else will be gone? I don't want to be surprised.

What do I do if this doesn't fix my battery issues and the extreme slowness of my phone?

Seriously, this stresses me out so much. :'(

Don't think you can just reset the phone to get rid of the ICS update. Pretty sure you have to root and flash the old OS back onto the phone.

kimdushinski

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:

I did end up doing the factory reset. I backed up first using MyBackupPro.

My battery issues and slow working phone issues are solved, thank goodness. Now I am just trying to get my phone set up again how I want it.

Kim

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE:

I did end up doing the factory reset. I backed up first using MyBackupPro.

My battery issues and slow working phone issues are solved, thank goodness. Now I am just trying to get my phone set up again how I want it.

Kim

Good to hear. Also I recommend going to settings and pressing on WiFi and hitting the left hard button on your phone to get to settings go into advanced and uncheck network notification and change the settings for keep WiFi on during sleep to only when plugged in.