Galaxy SII Epic 4G - how fragile is the screen?

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
This is my first post so I'll offer a little bit of my background. I'm not just a new SII owner, but this is also my first smartphone. I've owned the phone for less than two weeks. My service provider is Ting, which is a Sprint reseller. I am really liking this device. I'm also liking this forum, with great posts, and helpful people.

One of the things I like about the phone is the thin form factor. It seems a shame to make it bulky with a protective case. On the other hand, I definitely don't want a cracked screen. I've Googled ?cracked screen Galaxy SII? and found a few unfortunate stories.

How resistant is the Gorilla Glass to cracking if it is dropped? Has anyone reading this dropped their bare Galaxy SII onto a hard surface, and if so, what was the result?

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like one I read on my Google search. Dropped 18 to 24 inches onto a tile bathroom floor and the screen broke. What I'm still wondering is, is that the exception or is that the expected result?

mas27295

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
droped mine from shirt pocket to asphast parking lot and it shatered . found a new screen and replaced myself. dont drop any phone as they all break if hit on edge of glass or corners

Reactions: Tony Android

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My first Galaxy S II I dropped while walking to a park. Phone went face first onto a small rock, then face first onto concrete. The little rock was stuck in my screen, the screen was...well, shattered. They're very fragile, which is why I buy otterboxes now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a ballistics shell gel case and constantly drop and toss my phone on purpose. Just to show people I can when they ask if I have ever dropped my phone. I absolutely love thus case. Its priceless to hand your phone to someone so they can see it and right before they have it drop it. I love the look on their faces. Also I drop mine right on its corner from head height (6'0"). Because corner drops are one of the worst. Also screen down is bad.

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If the phone hits at a certain angle, the screen will shatter. However, I've dropped my S2 without a case a hundred times, on carpet, concrete, and hard floors, and only once did I get a crack on the upper right corner in the bezel area. Yesterday I dropped it three times and it never even shut off.

cphil99

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I used to be a sprint repair tech so have seen a lot it cracked screens. Almost always they did not have a good durable case on them when dropped. Get a case that has both silicone and plastic in two layers and there is little chance of breaking the screen unless it gets hit directly with something. I have a Trident rugged case and not a scratch on my S2 so far!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok im not sure why previous comments have stated shattered or cracked screens but here's my experience. I virtually try all new phones that come out. My gs2 which I loved was my first with gorilla glass. I didn't use a screen protector and matter of fact I hate screen protector but had always used them previous to this phone. I never once in a year of having this phone got one scratch or blemish on the phone in fact had dropped it a couple times. Now it wasn't from real high distance mainly when it was on my lap in my car and I stood up and forgot it was there and it tumbled to the ground. I never had any damage other than a corner on my phone. It's real durable stuff. Search you tube videos for testing of the screen. You can literally take a key and work the screen over and its still good. Now the exception would be if you drop it and maybe it lands on a corner in a odd way then I guess it could shatter just highly unlikely

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped mine more times than I care to think about. I have a tiny scratch on my screen, but that's not actually from any of the drops. It was from a mishap with some keys. The phone is durable, but like anything, it has a breaking point. If you have a good replacement policy, then why bother spending more money on cases and protectors? I like the phone the way it is, and that's the way I choose to use it. :)

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is HARD, not STRONG.

Hard means it's really tough to scratch. When two things rub against each other, the softer one wears away, the harder one endures. Your screen will usually win.

It's NOT strong through. Glass itself, just the stuff in your windows in your house, is hard as heck. Takes a LOT to scratch it, (you can take razor blades to the stuff). But, it shatters easy. Tungsten Carbide is extremely hard. It's used on power saw blades, cutting tools, and all kinds of things. Hard as HECK, can cut through damn near anything. But if you have a wedding ring made of Tungsten Carbide, and it rolls off a counter onto a tile/concrete floor, it'll shatter.

Moral of the story - it's tough to scratch your screen. It's easy to break it. Get a case.

Reactions: patrao_n

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah from what I know Gorilla Glass is very very scratch resistant. I do not have a screen protector as it weakens the AMOLED display in my opinion. 4 months in and my E4GT screen is scratch-less. Also, don't be afraid to throw a case on it. I got this really good one off amazon and it adds very little bulk. Its one of those soft (but not flimsy rubbery) cases, but fits like a shell.

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is HARD, not STRONG.

Hard means it's really tough to scratch. When two things rub against each other, the softer one wears away, the harder one endures. Your screen will usually win.

It's NOT strong through. Glass itself, just the stuff in your windows in your house, is hard as heck. Takes a LOT to scratch it, (you can take razor blades to the stuff). But, it shatters easy. Tungsten Carbide is extremely hard. It's used on power saw blades, cutting tools, and all kinds of things. Hard as HECK, can cut through damn near anything. But if you have a wedding ring made of Tungsten Carbide, and it rolls off a counter onto a tile/concrete floor, it'll shatter.

Moral of the story - it's tough to scratch your screen. It's easy to break it. Get a case.

Yep waiting for the dreaded day my ring falls on the tile...

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch

Dickey68

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the ballistics or the otterbox defender. All the rubber makes it to hard to get in and out of my pocket. I fell in love with the otterbox commuter. Much thinner and it's polycarbonate over rubber. Easy to get in and out of my pocket.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Glad you like the Ballistic case, I just ordered one on amazon. Cheap ($17) insurance for an expensive phone.

I got this case and it was way to bulky for me, also the sides come up off the screen too much for me and interrupts my swiping ability.. But you don't have to worry about your phone at all with it on. I now have the diztronic tpu from amazon and love it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

daniel4653

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah new gorilla glass 2 on the gs3 is crap I feel like it is going to break when I put it in my pocket. Too fragile in my opinion

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2