Connect phone to tv hdmi?

coachdvc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Before, I was able to hook up my HTC EVO to my tv and watch videos and live streams from the internet. With football season coming up, there will be a few games streaming over ESPN3 that I want to watch. I am able to get ESPN3 on my phone, but when I use the same HDMI cable I used with the EVO, nothing shows up on my tv. It does seem to be a really tight fit on the phone with the cable, so maybe that's the problem.

But I haven't tried hooking up this phone to the tv before, so maybe it's not even possible. Is it possible to do what I described with the EVO with the E4GT? If you do it, what cable would you recommend (going into hdmi slot on Samsung tv)?

If it's not possible, do you know if it would be possible with the Google Nexus Tablet?

Thanks, and I did search this but kept getting conflicting messages.

Last edited:

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Before, I was able to hook up my HTC EVO to my tv and watch videos and live streams from the internet. With football season coming up, there will be a few games streaming over ESPN3 that I want to watch. I am able to get ESPN3 on my phone, but when I use the same HDMI cable I used with the EVO, nothing shows up on my tv. It does seem to be a really tight fit on the phone with the cable, so maybe that's the problem.

But I haven't tried hooking up this phone to the tv before, so maybe it's not even possible. Is it possible to do what I described with the EVO with the E4GT? If you do it, what cable would you recommend (going into hdmi slot on Samsung tv)?

Thanks, and I did search this but kept getting conflicting messages.

Yep, all you need to get is an MHL adapter, an HDMI cable (and your micro USB cable) and you'll be all set. I think I paid around $5 for mine on Ebay or Amazon. It doesn't need to be a specific one (unlike the S3).
180bc2d9-bf3c-2e6d.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: coachdvc

coachdvc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just found the item you're talking about. However, I'm confused as to how may cables I need. So the MHL adapter plugs into the phone. But what comes out of the MHL? I've seen videos that show an HDMI out of the MHL to HDMI into the tv. But other videos have USB out of the MHL to HDMI into the tv (which is the cable I currently have). Then other videos say you need both. But where do they plug into if you use both?

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I just found the item you're talking about. However, I'm confused as to how may cables I need. So the MHL adapter plugs into the phone. But what comes out of the MHL? I've seen videos that show an HDMI out of the MHL to HDMI into the tv. But other videos have USB out of the MHL to HDMI into the tv (which is the cable I currently have). Then other videos say you need both. But where do they plug into if you use both?

The Micro USB that is permently attached to what you plug into the phone. The HDMI is for connecting to the TV...

And the extra Micro USB slot is for power, since the MHL will need an external power source to work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: coachdvc

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
A great place to buy cables is MonoPrice. They have one for $10.40. Their cable prices are typically excellent and they have a wide range of quality selections. I won't go anywhere else for my audio/video cabling needs.

Here's their instructional video on how to use an MHL adapter:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5tJl_a_wcc[/YT]

psiphi

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I got a hdmi cable and mhl adapter it want work on my htc evo 4g I also tried a regular hdmi cable from my p

hone to tv

You don't need the mhl adapter for the evo 4g, you can get a cable that goes directly from the phone to the tv, but Stock only supports a few apps to redirect to HDMI... You will need to root the phone and install a program like HDMwIn for Evo 4G to redirect everything... (Also recommend going with CyanogenMod ROM replacement.)

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok I am on Android 4.1.2, GB27.

Does MHL work with this build? I would very much like to watch ESPN from my phone's Sprint TV app on my big screen HDTV.

If it works for you, which adapter are you using? I would like to use the same adapter with Galaxy S4 after I upgrade my phone if possible.

Thanks in advance!

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Would Google Chromecast be one way around this problem?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think not. Is there a way to use it to view the phone's screen on the TV? However, my TV is connected to a media center computer. But I can only get Sprint TV on my phone so I need to see my phone's screen on the TV.

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Update: The Menotec device works like a charm, but the SprintTV app will not play through HDMI. Sprint has it blocked somehow. What a huge bummer.

That was the only advantage Sprint had for me. I will be shopping around for other providers when my contract is up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC