My ICS wifi fix

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So I've had few issues after my upgrade to ics, (followed the dark Knight recommended full wipe), but wifi has been killing my batt. If set to "always on", it's on when my phone sleeps. If set to "only on when charging" it disconnects damn near constantly while I'm using it. My fix was this:

1. Set wifi to always on, (wifi settings, hit the menu button, select "advanced")
2.in Llama, (you DO have llama right? If not, download it now, best app out there), set a condition for "when at home and screen on, turn on wifi"
3. Set another for "when at home and screen off, turn off wifi"

You can do the same for any other location where you regularly use wifi. This way, as soon as my screen comes on, my wifi comes on. It shuts off when my screen does. Connection quality is great and uninterrupted when I'm using it.

Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: ScottMGS

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread is easier. Works every time.

Pp.

Sent from the future using Mayan technology.

GB was better for some stuff, but el29 did not report cell towers correctly, so llama wouldn't work for all the other things I use it for. I've loved ICS for everything, (great batt life now that I have it figured out), but wifi was an issue still.

wkufan92

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
So I've had few issues after my upgrade to ics, (followed the dark Knight recommended full wipe), but wifi has been killing my batt. If set to "always on", it's on when my phone sleeps. If set to "only on when charging" it disconnects damn near constantly while I'm using it. My fix was this:

1. Set wifi to always on, (wifi settings, hit the menu button, select "advanced")
2.in Llama, (you DO have llama right? If not, download it now, best app out there), set a condition for "when at home and screen on, turn on wifi"
3. Set another for "when at home and screen off, turn off wifi"

You can do the same for any other location where you regularly use wifi. This way, as soon as my screen comes on, my wifi comes on. It shuts off when my screen does. Connection quality is great and uninterrupted when I'm using it.

Hope this helps someone.

Ok, can you tell me step by step how to set up the 2 conditions you mentioned above for Llama. I must be slow. I can't figure it out. LOL

EDIT - I think I figured it out!

Last edited:

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok, can you tell me step by step how to set up the 2 conditions you mentioned above for Llama. I must be slow. I can't figure it out. LOL

Press the "+" at the bottom of Llama in the "Events" tab. Name it something, (wifi on, home wifi on, whatever). Hit "add condition", select "Enter/In Area", select "Home", (or whatever area you want Wifi active in). Hit "add condition" again, select "Screen On/off", select "Screen On".

Now hit "Add Action" at the bottom of the screen, go down to "WiFi", select "WiFi On".

Hit the "back" button on your phone to save the event.

Now do the same thing, (create a new event with +, give it a name like "Wifi Off"), except select "Screen Off" and "WiFi Off" for the screen condition and the action to make it kill WiFi when your screen turns off.

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Great Advice for users still on GB. --- I loved Llama on GB, but found it to be a little buggy once I stepped up to (clean-manual update) ICS. I've now found that using JuiceDefender Beta (which is better/more stable under ICS than the standard version) in combination with their "Ultimate" upgrade, is the very best way to manage Battery and WiFi. The "Locations" training abilities in JD far surpass those offered within Llama.

So, if you've made the move to ICS and are looking for the very best in Battery, WiFi, Profile, and Location management, I heartily endorse JuiceDefender (Beta) + Ultimate!

Good Luck!