Ok... So I just updated my Galaxy S II to the newest Android OS version 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich. Some nice enhancements and a few things I'll have to get used to. There is one thing in particular that stands out as being a disappointment and that is the non existence of a floating clock screensaver when my phone is docked. I am using the Samsung Desktop Dock (Model: EDD-D1D9BE). In Gingerbread, when my phone was docked, it automatically entered into desktop clock mode. Then after a period of inactivity it would go into a floating yellow clock screensaver with a black background. This was extremely nice as I would dock my phone at night when I would go to bed, have my weekly alarm set, mute my phone and keep it as dark as possible when I went to sleep. To keep it as dark as possible, I even used a pure black background (wallpaper) for the destop clock screen. When the screensaver kicked in it would get just a bit more dark. Perfect for sleeping. Now in ICS, when docked it still goes into desktop clock mode (with my pure black wallpaper) but instead of a floating clock it goes into a floating destop clock screen with the default blue background with white font. It actually gets brighter, and the contrast between the blue background and lighter font make it difficult to see clearly when I wake up and want to see the time. I have found nothing in the phone settings to change this, and I have found very little online regarding this.

How then can I get my floating clock screensaver back? Anybody? PLEASE???
    (Stock phone non-rooted)

Dave

Sent from my Samsung GS2 SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    08-17-2012 02:33 PM
    never heard of "desktop clock mode." when I plug my phone into the charger, I just get the battery display.
    08-17-2012 06:10 PM
    I had the same problem and request when I tried ICS for a while. Try Alarm Clock Plus from the Play Store. I know, it doesn't make sense, but don't use it for the alarm, just for the dock clock.

The clock when docked is pretty close to the GB Touch Wiz clock and when it goes to screensaver it's even closer. Go into the settings and you can adjust font sizes and colors and more.
    Massius001 likes this.
    08-17-2012 06:17 PM
    Actually, it's desk clock. Sorry. It's really not a "mode" per se. There is specific circuitry in the "Samsung Desktop Dock" that I mentioned in my original post, that launches the desk clock. Desk clock doesn't launch under normal cord charging.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    08-17-2012 08:32 PM
    Thanks JimSmith94.

I really hate downloading apps to do something the stock TouchWiz OS does. I'm removed from Blackberry for over a year now and "Bedside Mode" was my favorite feature.

A downloaded clock/alarm app just gives me that Windows 3.1 over DOS kind of feeling (if you know what I mean). But I'll give the app a try anyway. Thanks again for the suggestion.

JimSmith94 likes this.
    08-17-2012 10:06 PM
    Thanks JimSmith94.

I really hate downloading apps to do something the stock TouchWiz OS does. I'm removed from Blackberry for over a year now and "Bedside Mode" was my favorite feature.

A downloaded clock/alarm app just gives me that Windows 3.1 over DOS kind of feeling (if you know what I mean). But I'll give the app a try anyway. Thanks again for the suggestion.

I know what you mean. It's silly, but I've gotten so attached to the GB desk dock clock, that it's one of the main things keeping me from going to ICS or JB. I wish there was a way to keep that part of Touch Wiz on the newer ROMs.
    08-17-2012 11:07 PM
    I just noticed that JB with TouchWiz has been spotted on the S3: Android 4.1 TouchWiz Jelly Bean spotted running on Samsung Galaxy S III (i9300) [Video] | TalkAndroid.com

Maybe if/when this gets ported to the E4GT the dock clock will be the same.

Does anyone know how to pull the GB dock clock to use on ICS or JB?
    08-18-2012 11:18 AM
    I get that dock clock on my HP Touchpad running CM9. I wonder if anyone running CM9 on this phone can confirm that it works (or not).
    08-20-2012 02:44 PM
    I get that dock clock on my HP Touchpad running CM9. I wonder if anyone running CM9 on this phone can confirm that it works (or not).
    Cool, thanks!

On Ginger Bread you can get to that screen without the dock. Hopefully it works the same on CM9 and someone can pull it out.

Click the clock app, and then slide all the way to the right on the top tabs to "Desk Clock". Then you can click on the "Maltese Cross" looking icon thingie to go full screen.
    08-20-2012 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD