I'm trying to figure out, a) if I should use Google Voice and b) how to even use it. I have a Sprint account with free texts and phone calls and I only have one number, my cell number. I occasionally fly overseas and can't text but I use Whatsapp to message my friends while overseas. Is it even worth getting Google Voice? An I missing something that would make it worthwhile? Thanks for the help and suggestions!
    08-19-2012 11:46 AM
    I am out of the US approximately 9 months a year. Here's how I use Google Voice:

When I'm in the US, I have my GV calls forwarded to my cell phone. When I'm outside the US, I turn off forwarding and let all calls go to voice mail. Voice mail is then transcribed to text, which is sent to my email inbox. Whenever I encounter Wi-Fi, my cell phone or laptop gets my email, including any transcribed messages from GV. While on Wi-Fi, I make free calls from my laptop via Google Chat, or more commonly, I use my cell phone on Wi-Fi to make free calls using GrooVe IP + Google Voice.

Depending on location, Wi-Fi calls can be choppy, but the price is right, and all of my contacts know how to reach me no matter where I am.

Hope this helps...
    coachdvc likes this.
    08-19-2012 04:21 PM