Instant Firmware Update Using Samsung Kies

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've seen posted this information elsewhere, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Like many of us, once I heard that an OTA was rolling out, I would go to my phone's settings and check for the firmware update. I would impatiently check for it...over and over and over. :( Well, after reading a post about using Kies to do the update, I thought I would give it a try.

NOTE: this is a Kies application and not the Kies Air that works in your Internet browser.

Here is the link to the software: Kies Software

Installing Kies on you computer does take a veeeeery loooong time. It is easily a 2 beer install. Once installed, I opened the program on my computer, plugged in my SGIIE4GT, via USB, and Kies told me there was an update available. I accepted the update and it was a 1.5 beer download and update process.

Even though the updates have sucked, this is a much better than waiting for the OTA. Once they issue the next bug update that fixes FH13, I'll also do it via Kies.

boXerrumble

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen posted this information elsewhere, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Like many of us, once I heard that an OTA was rolling out, I would go to my phone's settings and check for the firmware update. I would impatiently check for it...over and over and over. :( Well, after reading a post about using Kies to do the update, I thought I would give it a try.

NOTE: this is a Kies application and not the Kies Air that works in your Internet browser.

Here is the link to the software: Kies Software

Installing Kies on you computer does take a veeeeery loooong time. It is easily a 2 beer install. Once installed, I opened the program on my computer, plugged in my SGIIE4GT, via USB, and Kies told me there was an update available. I accepted the update and it was a 1.5 beer download and update process.

Even though the updates have sucked, this is a much better than waiting for the OTA. Once they issue the next bug update that fixes FH13, I'll also do it via Kies.

I'm not sure what makes you say FH13 still needs fixed.

I wiped cache/data before updating, and dare I say this is EL-29 stable.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm still having issues with Bluetooth (and I think many other people are too). It'd be nice to get those fixed.

But having said that, I'm not as negative about this ICS update as others seem to be. I did a Factory Reset after the first update and have enjoyed ICS for the most part. Except in my car trying to listen to music and answer the phone. :(

And ... very nice being able to download updates immediately using Kies.

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My laptop or PC will not see my phone. I can plug it into the USB and it will charge but not show on kies or even as a drive like my old G1 did. I tried 3 different USB wires and kies would see my wife's and kids G1 phone but only charge my G2 phone. After about 2 hours of Googling and trying everything short of a full phone reboot, I just gave up.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My laptop or PC will not see my phone. I can plug it into the USB and it will charge but not show on kies or even as a drive like my old G1 did. I tried 3 different USB wires and kies would see my wife's and kids G1 phone but only charge my G2 phone. After about 2 hours of Googling and trying everything short of a full phone reboot, I just gave up.

That's weird. Have you tried rebooting your G2 & pc's then plugging in the usb into your pc's?

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That's weird. Have you tried rebooting your G2 & pc's then plugging in the usb into your pc's?

Yup even took out the SD card did the menu on the phone to set the USB to PDA mode check and unchecked debug mode just to name a few. I thought maybe I just have 3 bad wires but they work fine on the 3 G1 I tried.

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Yup and reinstalled them a few times, I just got it to work. I rebooted my phone back to stock to see if maybe that would help as it did for my Galaxy Tab with Kies. Well it didn't and I was so frustrated I just jam the USB plug into my phone with with some force and my laptop then pick it up and Kies updated it.

This is a new phone from Sprint less than 2 weeks old as my old G2 was all mess up after the ics update, I guess the USB port maybe bad. I have to get it check out.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yup and reinstalled them a few times, I just got it to work. I rebooted my phone back to stock to see if maybe that would help as it did for my Galaxy Tab with Kies. Well it didn't and I was so frustrated I just jam the USB plug into my phone with with some force and my laptop then pick it up and Kies updated it.

This is a new phone from Sprint less than 2 weeks old as my old G2 was all mess up after the ics update, I guess the USB port maybe bad. I have to get it check out.

Good to see you got it working. Yuh, have Sprint store check out the USB port.
I just got a refurbished G2 and I gotta say so far all is good with ICS FH18 though. My first G2 was messed up from first ICS update. I was gonna have the Sprint store downgrade back to Gingerbread but so far the battery life is good and I'm not having heat issues or freezing. I'm gonna wait a few days before deciding on installing the FH13.

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Good to see you got it working. Yuh, have Sprint store check out the USB port.
I just got a refurbished G2 and I gotta say so far all is good with ICS FH18 though. My first G2 was messed up from first ICS update. I was gonna have the Sprint store downgrade back to Gingerbread but so far the battery life is good and I'm not having heat issues or freezing. I'm gonna wait a few days before deciding on installing the FH13.

My first phone was perfect....then one day it wouldn't turn on so I took it to Sprint and they couldn't fix it so they gave me a new one and all this was pre ICS update. The new one right off the bat was mess up, the screen didn't respond correctly and the 4G would never connect and I was now roaming in spots I never did before, GPS would never connect also. Took it back and got a new screen and the said they fix the roaming issue and it was ok until I did the ICS update.

After that the speeds on the phone were still bad compared to my original G2 and on top of that the battery kept dieing within an hour and the battery started to swell. Back I went and told them I just want another phone, which is my current one that was fine up until 2 days ago when I had it plug in all night only to be told low battery when I unplug it. thought maybe it was my fault but at work it did the same thing, took forever to charge and drained in about an hour of just web surfing and then today the kies issue. Now when I plug it into my pc I can now see it as a drive so I'm hoping it fix what ever was messing up the connection when I jammed it in. *fingers cross*

Dickey68

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Is the new ics worth updating to? Or should I be thankful i'm still running gingerbread?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I guess this is one of those, "your mileage may very" kinda things. I've noticed a fair amount of posts that say FH13 has not solved all of the problems from the 1st ICS update. I'm still having much poorer battery life. I'm holding out on that, and hoping that it will just take another day or two for the new OS to get used to the battery.

mikefour77

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
A question for the crowd... My experience with FF18 has been draining and for other reasons, I need to do a factory reset.

Should I do that before or after updating to FH13?

Thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

aust1nz

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey Mike - I'd suggest you do so both before and after updating to FH13! If you only choose one, though, go for the after-update reset. I performed a reset shortly after updating this morning. The reset somehow allowed my phone to sleep, which was great because it was draining about 10% of battery per hour prior to the reset. It's been a lot more reasonable since.

Reactions: mikefour77

redhdgirl417

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I did the update tonight via Kies on my NetBook and WOW what a difference! Faster and battery life awesome! I'm even getting 2 bars showing inside my house where I used to have none.

planase

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

Try on the G2 Menu - Settings - Applications - Development unchecked USB Debugging. That's works for me. After that my pc recognized the phone.

Sent from my MZ604 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I went into recovery mode and did a factory reset and wiped cache a few times and I can get about 24 hours with light usage. No trouble with WiFi or Bluetooth, just my experience.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums