Hey Guys, I have never attempted to root a phone. However with the latest ICS update for the Epic Touch 4g having lost my Pda.net and Fox fi it's been kinda a pain in the ***.

I like the new "look" but the battery life and loss of free tethering is lame.

I see tons of "how to" vids on youtube but I'd like a bit of feedback on what's easy for a first timer, what's not and other info I should consider before pulling the trigger.

Thanks.
    08-30-2012 06:05 PM
    If you updated to the newest, FF13, you will have to wait. There's no root available just yet. I have to re-root mine as well after doing the update.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    08-31-2012 06:37 AM
    a little over a month ago, I was in the same boat. I am a newb when it comes to rooting and was terrified to brick my phone. I took the leap of faith and with assistance from the forums, I am happily rooted! For the BEST and safest way, go to this posing: http://forums.androidcentral.com/epi...-firmware.html
    Jay helped me out a lot!!!!!! The guy is the best! I am rooted on FF18 and quite happy....for now....until CM10 becomes available.
    08-31-2012 06:42 AM
    Hey Guys, I have never attempted to root a phone. However with the latest ICS update for the Epic Touch 4g having lost my Pda.net and Fox fi it's been kinda a pain in the ***.

I like the new "look" but the battery life and loss of free tethering is lame.

I see tons of "how to" vids on youtube but I'd like a bit of feedback on what's easy for a first timer, what's not and other info I should consider before pulling the trigger.

Thanks.
    You may want to check out QBKing 77 from ACS on you tube, he has very good videos on rooting, returning to gingerbread if not happy with ics, modems, roms and themes. Most of his links go to XDA forums. Just beware of the ics builds there battery performance is no better than stock. I tried several ics builds for months and wound up back on gingerbread with a theme and with very good battery life.

Pp.

Sent from the future using Mayan technology.
    planase likes this.
    08-31-2012 07:28 AM
    Hahaha well ics for me is great. No battery complaints here. Doing something wrong pancho? ics really pissed you off huh? Saw almost every post of yours on xda bashing ics. Op try a one click from xda. I am on cm9 and there is no bugs for me.

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch
    GiantJay likes this.
    08-31-2012 07:39 AM
    No battery issues here. You can update to the latest official ota build of ICS which is fh13 through kies on a computer also. It would be good to do a factory reset and wipe cache through recovery too before and or after updating. Qbking77 has a video on how t do just about anything and xda has good Roms to go through just read a lot over there before you do anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    08-31-2012 08:15 AM
    Hahaha well ics for me is great. No battery complaints here. Doing something wrong pancho? ics really pissed you off huh? Saw almost every post of yours on xda bashing ics. Op try a one click from xda. I am on cm9 and there is no bugs for me.

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch
    Nah, i just got tired of all the extra attention I had to put into my phone on a daily basis. And the short battery life wasn't helping either, I enjoyed several ics builds and ran them for a while but I needed more reliable battery life, at times I would be out and would not have access to a charge ,living in the city and commuting wasn't easy with a strained battery and as a parent of a disabled child my phone has to be very reliable. I'm currently on Calks E4GT v. 3.0 with an ics theme and have great looks plus reliability. I'm not anti ics, just saying that gb is more reliable. In a couple of months I'll be ready for an upgrade from sprint in Dec and plan on getting the GS 3 and all its ics goodness.

Pp.

Sent from the future using Mayan technology.
    08-31-2012 09:01 AM
    Just root it. You will be laughing once again you see how easy it is. (plug phone into computer, press start.)

By the way, I am getting much better battery life on ICS. I could never go back to GB or touchwiz for that matter. I used to wonder why everyone gave touchwiz a hard time and I actually rather liked it. Then I ran an AOSP build for a while. Now I know!

You don't have to get into flashing roms though just yet. Just root it and take charge of it.

**Aokp ICS with Jellybean bolt-ons**
    08-31-2012 09:39 AM
    yes, do it. If for nothing else, so you can remove (or freeze) all the sprint bloatware (unwanted apps that the phone comes with). Do you use the nascar app? SPrint tv and music, etc? No, wipe it out. You can hide the icons with certain launchers, but those apps still take up room on the phone, so get rid of them.

The process is ridiculously simple. Install drivers, download odin file, follow super easy instructions in post, and click START. Your phone will reboot, and you will be rooted. Literally that simple.
    08-31-2012 11:50 AM
    yes, do it. If for nothing else, so you can remove (or freeze) all the sprint bloatware (unwanted apps that the phone comes with). Do you use the nascar app? SPrint tv and music, etc? No, wipe it out. You can hide the icons with certain launchers, but those apps still take up room on the phone, so get rid of them.

The process is ridiculously simple. Install drivers, download odin file, follow super easy instructions in post, and click START. Your phone will reboot, and you will be rooted. Literally that simple.
    All those apps you listed can just be uninstalled under settings apps. Lol. But there is other perks to rooting.

08-31-2012 05:09 PM
    All those apps you listed can just be uninstalled under settings apps. Lol. But there is other perks to rooting.

True, everything can be removed but sprint zone. Grrr... Sprint zone. That app makes me want to punch a kitten. Well... Used too

**Aokp ICS with Jellybean bolt-ons**
    08-31-2012 06:47 PM

dont you have to be rooted to uninstall them?
    09-04-2012 10:48 AM
    Nope. Most can be removed without root.

-"Crack" Stock/Tweaked FH23, Nova Launcher, Beats Audio, SG3 Dialer & MMS, Custom AOSP Pull-down, Google Now, Jellybean Animations-
    09-04-2012 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD