09-26-2012 01:00 PM
27 12
tools
    Really Sprint?!!-screenshot_2012-09-11-10-17-17.png
    Whats the point of unlimited data, when I can't even get to it? And why do I pay extra for 4G, that isn't in my area nor is it coming any time soon!?
    pmjj likes this.
    09-11-2012 09:31 AM
    For what it's worth, it isn't worth much.

See if you get good service with TMobile, I switched to their prepaid service a few months back with the unlocked Nexus from Google, and have gotten WAY better connection and speeds. I was really surprised. Saved me $$$ too. The ETF hurt, but you can still sell the Epic for a few hundred to lessen the sting.
    Brainerd likes this.
    09-11-2012 10:52 AM
    For what it's worth, it isn't worth much.

See if you get good service with TMobile, I switched to their prepaid service a few months back with the unlocked Nexus from Google, and have gotten WAY better connection and speeds. I was really surprised. Saved me $$$ too. The ETF hurt, but you can still sell the Epic for a few hundred to lessen the sting.
    This is my plan when the next Nexus device comes out.
    09-11-2012 05:37 PM
    Yeah, I'll probably end up getting the next Nexus too... Even though this one is perfectly fine.

Gadgeteering can get costly. :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    09-11-2012 05:58 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2012-09-11-10-17-17.PNG 
Views:	527 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	37120
    Whats the point of unlimited data, when I can't even get to it? And why do I pay extra for 4G, that isn't in my area nor is it coming any time soon!?

You aren't paying for 4G you are paying the extra $10 for having a smart phone, If you look at your bill it will tell you that the charge is a Premium Data charge meaning that everyone that activates a smartphone (After Jan 31, 2011) will be charged this price. This charge allows Sprint to compensate for the data charges they receive and allows them to continue offering unlimited data.
    09-12-2012 02:27 PM
    I get about the same speeds. And I'm in an area that claims to have 4G!(I occasionally do get a connection on WiMax, but its a weak connection. I only get about 1MB/s on it). I am definitely switching to T-Mobile prepaid. I can get 100 minutes, unlimited texting, and 5gb of data at "4G" speeds, then with the throttling and all. I'll be buying the next Nexus to go with it(or one of the Nexuses, depending on if the rumors of multiple Nexus phones is true or not)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    09-12-2012 09:29 PM
    You aren't paying for 4G you are paying the extra $10 for having a smart phone, If you look at your bill it will tell you that the charge is a Premium Data charge meaning that everyone that activates a smartphone (After Jan 31, 2011) will be charged this price. This charge allows Sprint to compensate for the data charges they receive and allows them to continue offering unlimited data.
    Okay, so its for data, I can't really get much data at those speeds, now can I? Just saying, regardless of what the extra 10 is for, doesn't seem right to be paying for it, and not being able to fully utilize the phone or the network.
    09-13-2012 08:06 AM
    Okay, so its for data, I can't really get much data at those speeds, now can I? Just saying, regardless of what the extra 10 is for, doesn't seem right to be paying for it, and not being able to fully utilize the phone or the network.
    Exactly.

Before I switched, I though I was a light data user since I never went over 2gb. Turns out, I was just used to not being able to pull down bandwidth, and now, I regularly use twice that. And that's not using Netflix or other data hogs when I'm outside of a wifi zone.

09-13-2012 08:12 AM
    Where are you located? Even with their poor 3G speeds you should have better results. I'm going to say you are somewhere out of range or near a dead spot between towers...
    09-13-2012 12:04 PM
    Where are you located? Even with their poor 3G speeds you should have better results. I'm going to say you are somewhere out of range or near a dead spot between towers...
    I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'll answer to give clarity to my position.

I live and work in downtown DC. My 3g speeds on the weekends (i.e. No network crowding) were around 300-500 kbs. On work days, this dropped to 5-10 kbs. I called sprint daily to see if a tower was down, but there wasn't any interference or outage.

Wimax was always fast, but i never succeeded getting a signal indoors.

09-13-2012 12:35 PM
    I am in a major metropolitan area in KY. Not out of range, thats with full signal strength.
    09-13-2012 01:06 PM
    I am in a major metropolitan area in KY. Not out of range, thats with full signal strength.
    Towers are simply overloaded with concurrent connections in your city then. Things should improve if/when Sprint deploys Network Vision in your city. Whether that matters to you or not depends on if you're still a Sprint customer if/when that time comes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    09-13-2012 01:58 PM
    Towers are simply overloaded with concurrent connections in your city then. Things should improve if/when Sprint deploys Network Vision in your city. Whether that matters to you or not depends on if you're still a Sprint customer if/when that time comes.

He's right and Sprint started receiving more customers than their old towers could handle when the EVO first launched and now a lot of towers are overloading. I agree that they should have started on Network Vision around the same time as the launch of the EVO but it is coming so be patient
    09-13-2012 03:51 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2012-09-11-10-17-17.PNG 
Views:	527 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	37120
    One of the reasons i cancelled my contract 2 weeks ago only 11 months into it. Then smashed my epic touch which was very stupid but very satisfying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    09-13-2012 04:00 PM
    One of the reasons i cancelled my contract 2 weeks ago only 11 months into it. Then smashed my epic touch which was very stupid but very satisfying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    ... Dude, you could have sold it!

09-13-2012 04:36 PM
    ... Dude, you could have sold it!

Haha! "Value" is different for everyone. Smashing it may have provided a greater value at that time then the dollars in his pocket. Although something tells me he probably regrets the decision now that the satisfaction has worn off.

Biggnaa20 likes this.
    09-13-2012 05:00 PM
    Haha! "Value" is different for everyone. Smashing it may have provided a greater value at that time then the dollars in his pocket. Although something tells me he probably regrets the decision now that the satisfaction has worn off.

I hope so because that was a pretty stupid thing to do.
    09-14-2012 07:26 PM
    Technically, the $10 charge isn't for 4G. It's a charge for "advanced devices". But now that it applies to all of the smartphones they sell, it's a con job so that Sprint can advertise $69 and $99 unlimited plans that are actually $79 and $109. Truthfully, Sprint should be investigated for this. It's false advertising.
    Biggnaa20 and Tsukiyomi like this.
    09-15-2012 08:43 AM
    Technically, the $10 charge isn't for 4G. It's a charge for "advanced devices". But now that it applies to all of the smartphones they sell, it's a con job so that Sprint can advertise $69 and $99 unlimited plans that are actually $79 and $109. Truthfully, Sprint should be investigated for this. It's false advertising.
    If you don't want to pay the extra $10.00 fee for using a smartphone then go to another carrier......you know you'll be paying way more for data plan....food for thought eh!
    09-15-2012 12:44 PM
    Thanks kevbeer,
    That brings up another question, does the App store charge to your Tmo bill or to a Credit Card?
    That's not true. Look at Tmobile. And I get better speeds and connection.

09-15-2012 01:56 PM
    That's why you run your roaming data up it gets you out off etf

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Biggnaa20, rkcfan and vmg.purple like this.
    09-15-2012 02:18 PM
    Sprint is getting better, in the past 3 months my 3g went from barly there to full strength. I have had 3 4g phones now but never had 4g service. Finally, next Friday Boston and most surrounding towns are being turned on. Very much looking forward to some 4g love.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE
    09-15-2012 02:26 PM
    Yea I wish they'd show the same love for Ohio.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    vmg.purple likes this.
    09-15-2012 02:51 PM
    Most abysmal data rates of any carrier.
    Strongly considering Verizon after this 2yr contract is up if they don't improve.

Dm
    09-20-2012 03:22 PM
    I live near Flint Michigan and I have ZERO service today...even getting the circle with the line through it. I am sitting right next to my wireless router while typing this and STILL cannot access apps. I am finding I am not too happy with this phone. Hubs still has his Blackberry and no issues.
    09-21-2012 08:23 AM
27 12