ICS Update & Factory Reset - Now my files are missing! Help!

DroidMomma30913

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset on my phone after doing what I thought was making sure all my photos from my camera and gallery were on my SD card. I took the SD card out to do the reset. Now, all of my contacts are still there, but my music and my photos are completely gone- other than the photos I downloaded from using the Internet on my phone. I can't find them when I use the SD card on the computer, nor when I use the USB cord. I've tried almost every tip on the internet that I can find, with no luck. I've even tried file restoring programs. I need the photo files back; I don't care about the music, that's already on my computer. There were quite a few special pictures in my camera that I hadn't had a chance to import onto my computer. I triple checked the file details, and they said it was in the SD card under DCIM.

HELP!!!

P.S. I do not want to root my phone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It sounds to me like you were confusing what is listed on the phone as "sd card" vs. "external_sd". It's very likely you were looking at the DCIM folder on your phone's internal storage, rather than your SD card. These phones mount available internal memory as "sd card".

However, unless you formatted internal storage, updating to ICS and performing a factory reset should not have erased the contents of your internal storage.

So with your SD card in your phone, plug it into your computer, and you should see two separate "drives". One is your internal storage and one is your external sd card. Check the DCIM folder in both places (assuming you also have the folder on your external sd card) and see if your photos are there.

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
It sounds to me like you were confusing what is listed on the phone as "sd card" vs. "external_sd". It's very likely you were looking at the DCIM folder on your phone's internal storage, rather than your SD card. These phones mount available internal memory as "sd card".

However, unless you formatted internal storage, updating to ICS and performing a factory reset should not have erased the contents of your internal storage.

So with your SD card in your phone, plug it into your computer, and you should see two separate "drives". One is your internal storage and one is your external sd card. Check the DCIM folder in both places (assuming you also have the folder on your external sd card) and see if your photos are there.

This. He is spot on.