Burning while charging after ICS update

guhuo

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Simply put that I am way beyond frustration. After ICS update, my epic 4g touch keeps dropping calls, searching for signals, and drains battery like crazy. About two weeks ago, there was smoke coming out of the micro usb charging port while it's charging. Fortunately, I was there. I unplugged it immediately. Since then, I never have it left my sight while it's charging.

Starting from last week, it shuts off randomly whenever I turn the 4g on. Battery from 90% to 2% in seconds. Restarted it, it backed to 60%. Restarted it again, it backed to 5%. Most importantly is that it can NOT be used because no mobile connection at all. (plus shuts off randomly).

Went to 7 different Sprint stores (in the past two days), none of them helped. All of them pointed to Samsung's ICS update messed up my phone and destroyed my phone. Most interestingly is that they not only did NOT help me but also try to sell me new phones. Why on the earth I have to buy a new phone because you guys destroyed my phone??? Well... I have couple GSM phones at home but because I am with Sprint and its CDMA protocol, I can use NONE of my GSM phones. It's time to back to AT&T. Oh! and the iPhone should be the best option. While a lot of people are wondering why people still wait in the line for the iPhone even though iPhone isn't feature rich as Samsung's phones do, think about those stupid things we have been facing. Frustration after frustration. Wasting our valuable time on the issues created by either carriers or manufacturers. And we, consumers, need to absorb all the pain. Just not worth it (and does NOT make any sense).

I used iPhone 3G when it came out in 08'. Apple swapped the phone 3 times for me whenever I faced issues with the phone. Now, I am with Samsung and Sprint, after 7 visits to 7 different stores (and two phone calls with Samsung Telecommunication America), I still haven't gotten my issues fixed (I am sending my phone to Samsung and this is the way they are handling with the carriers). Well done, Samsung. Well done, Sprint.

To be honest with you, customers do NOT care whose fault is (Samsung or Sprint). Since NONE of you want to fix the problems caused by one of you or all of you. We just feel like we are abandoned after you got us (buying your, Samsung, phone and having your, Sprint, service). Customers will leave and never come back again. It's a simple logic.

STOP KICKING THE BALL BACK AND FORTH. STAND UP AND FIX PROBLEMS FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Notice the differences yet?
Apple replaced your device 3 times, Apple has store front locations.
Sprint is the carrier, Samsung is the manufacturer. There has to be more to the story, but when you tell them that you let out the magical white smoke while it was charging that kinda leads me to believe it really needs to go back to Samsung.
Its not fair to compare ATT/Apple to Sprint/Samsung.
Maybe ATT/Apple to Sprint/Apple is a better comparison.
Anyway, it sounds like your device had issues for a while. My guess is ICS didnt actually cause the damage.. Sounds like the phone had issues and perhaps the charger had issues. Was it an after market? OEM? There are a LOT of variables.
But to me it sounds like you wont be happy until you have an iPhone with ATT..

Bottom line is, Samsung is where you need to be focusing your blame. Not Sprint.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Dunno why any of the Sprint stores didn't replace your phone. Unless you don't have insurance then Samsung should be able to replace the phone via manufacturer warranty. I had issues as well with the first roll out of ICS. Sprint store downgraded my phone back to GB but I still had issues like battery getting hot and freezing up of the phone. They ordered me a replacement which was a refurbished phone from Samsung since I had insurance. I haven't had any issues with the refurbished phone.

lololovestech

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to be a downer here, but I pretty much got the same runaround with Sprint. I really wanted to like Sprint and I'm behind their environmentally-aware efforts. Plus, I usually root for the underdog. However, after 3+ trips to the sprint store to no avail, and 10+ calls to tech support/ customer service, it was enough to give anyone a coronary. I did not have one positive interaction with any representative I saw or spoke to over the phone. In fact, I was promised a discounted bill due to poor cell signal only to call back a few weeks later to find out that it hadn't been approved. Calls were dropped while I was on with customer service and representatives did NOT call me back (What's their excuse? It's not like they don't have my phone number.). The first sentence out of my mouth with every call to Sprint became - please, if I get disconnected while on this call, will you call me back? I was promised a new handset only to be told a few days later that it was not approved either. Sprint replaced my battery. I had almost all the problems you read about in this forum after the ICS upgrade, except for the overheating issue. On my 4th trip to sprint they told me the phone had water damage, blaming me for all the software issues I had been having for months (the phone was never exposed to water but I don't doubt that somehow it managed to let moisture from the air inside). I was left with no choice. I had to leave.

Which brings me to my next point. Although a fruit phone seems rather juicy after having all the problems with Sammy (and trust me, I drooled over the build quality and camera, and looked at the selection of cases green with envy) but the interface is rather blah and elementary after working with an android device. Maybe give a different manufacturer a try? And do your homework first. Check out other forums. I have a Moto with Verizon and I heart it!

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
My phone has been having many of the same issues you've been describing. My phone will become unresponsive and upon a restart, i'll go from 90% battery to 15%. If I pull the battery out, it will have 60% or so. The radio on this phone really sucks also. My wife's iPhone will have reception in places I don't. Just last night we were at a small club and she had access to data on her phone while mine showed no service. I've read in a few places that if you can spin your battery like a top then you need to replace the battery. I bought a new one today, so i'm hoping that fixes my battery problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc