Strange Battery Problem - Need Help

ready2rise

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
What I'm interested too know though, is why does the screen flicker and shut off,but right before I completely lose my signal? Actually, lately my phone just drops the signal for no apparent reason. I have absolutely never ever had this problem??? So what gives? I will like to add that I was one of those guys saying how I love my phone so much and wouldn't have changed a thing from eg30. Went to FI27 to hopefully get better gps just to regret my decision later. Now I've odin'd back to eg30 and the problem I picked up while on/from ics exists still. Ordered battery will do a report soon too.

bernmeister0

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Started about 2 weeks ago, but has been getting worse. Same version/build. I have noticed that when I plug back into the charger, and restart the phone, I have service connection, though I can turn on the wifi and it connects fine. I have to pull the battery to get full functionality back.

Well, now that I posted, I went back and read the latest posts and decided to check my battery. I spins like the proverbial top, both sides.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've come to the conclusion that service dropping, screen flicker, random shut downs, apps like the browser closing by themselves, etc, are all related to the battery going bad.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

hurricanedt

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've come to the conclusion that service dropping, screen flicker, random shut downs, apps like the browser closing by themselves, etc, are all related to the battery going bad.

Definitely. I had all those problems and when I replaced my battery they went away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Just want to add that my battery is a little over a year old and I was one of the first to do the upgrade to 4.0.4 that had all those early issues. High battery drain in particular. I think that is what really killed mine prematurely. At any rate, I'm still rocking GB and it had been fine, but as of lately my phone was complete junk! I kept getting the task manager popping up. Slow to respond, screen flicker and apps closing, losing signal, you name it. My battery had the buldge. I bought a Samsung direct replacement, same exact battery from Amazon for $15 shipped. Popped it in last night and my phone is back to it's old snappy self. Perfect! So far. I'll keep you all posted, but I now love my phone on GB all over again! So if you have issues, get a new battery!

mfsanso

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Just got the $15 genuine Samsung replacement battery and I was very disappointed with its performance. Here are three screenshots comparing the replacement 1800mAh battery (first screenshot) to the 3800mAh battery (second and third screenshot - both high intensity use and practically idle all day)

I'm sticking with the higher performance/capacity battery until my next phone...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354645638290.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354645638290.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354645666137.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354645666137.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 19
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354645800426.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354645800426.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 18

lancehart

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Replaced my battery... happy to say that the problem was solved. My old battery spins like a top, and compared to the new battery, you can see the bulge very clearly now.
Make me wonder if Samsung had a bad batch of batterys when they launched the Epic Touch. Makes no sense that so many of these are suddenly going bad all at once in the same basic timeframe of
about 12-14 months after purchase.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Replaced my battery... happy to say that the problem was solved. My old battery spins like a top, and compared to the new battery, you can see the bulge very clearly now.
Make me wonder if Samsung had a bad batch of batterys when they launched the Epic Touch. Makes no sense that so many of these are suddenly going bad all at once in the same basic timeframe of
about 12-14 months after purchase.

Hard to say. Maybe it was bad QA. Maybe it has something to do with ICS. Maybe it's the thin plastic backing and environmental exposure issues. It could be a number of possibilities.

My new battery came today and all is well again. Although I'm pretty sure these $16 "OEM" batteries on Amazon are Chinese knockoffs. We'll see how this one performs over time.

HooperD

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Wow - that was surreal. I was responding to a string about an Epic Touch battery. I posted, then scrolled to the top, and it was a different string.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Had this exact problem. Never had any battery issues until the JB upgrade. Tried Factory Reset and that didnt help.

I bought a $10 OEM Samsung battery off Amazon. Put it in last night. Phone works fine. No crash when using GPS with medium-high screen brightness. Old battery spun like a top.

Gonna hold me off 2 months until i upgrade to the S4

Devish Laroiya

May 30, 2013
Visit site
my S2 just shuts off without any notification and doesn't start until i plug it to the charger and switch it on. This mostly happens after 2 minutes of playing games,listening songs or downloadin an app. What should I do? Please help me

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
my S2 just shuts off without any notification and doesn't start until i plug it to the charger and switch it on. This mostly happens after 2 minutes of playing games,listening songs or downloadin an app. What should I do? Please help me

You need a new battery. I'm using An Anker battery from Amazon and it works great.

vitrap

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
The same problem after 2 months of using a new phone with a new battery (I suppose at least).

I have a theory:

Something tells me, that it is caused by the car charger. My troubles started after buying and starting to use the car charger. I see the same experience all over this discussion. Could it be, that the car chargers could damage the IoN batteries? May be due to bad stabilization of charging voltage/current?

Someone could check it out? Is there anyone, who face the same problem without using any of car charger or any other doubty charger?

Tim_Schroeder

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
My phone is a HTC Desire S, which I upgraded to Android 4.0.4 a few months ago (official update). The shutdowns and extreme power drainage startet about a week ago. With a full battery my phone reliably shuts down less than 5 minutes into a game. Then upon reboot it reports ~6% battery life and often shuts down again.

I just took out my battery and saw a little bulge on one side. Though the bulge is not yet big enough to let the battery spin easily, I think I'm having the same problem you guys mentioned. I will probably try with a new battery.

Someone could check it out? Is there anyone, who face the same problem without using any of car charger or any other doubty charger?
I never used a car charger. Instead I use either my PC or the official charger that came with the phone.

edit:
The new battery solved my problem.

Though I wonder what caused my battery to fail. Maybe it got too hot during summer? I remember playing games on my phone a few weeks back and the phone got really hot (but it didn't shut down, therefore I thought it wasn't too hot). Or maybe it was just too old after 2 years of usage?​

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
i currently have these same issues with a samsung galaxy player....here is the forum cause im to lazy to retype everything....http://forums.androidcentral.com/introductions/357376-hi-names-xero.html#post3418350

i already got one battery and it did it again...though that battery could have been used as well...i also ordered an anker battery waiting for it to arrive...

See of the Anker provides and better results. I had to Anker batteries with my E4GT and it worked great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Kevelade07

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
That's the battery. Had the same problem with my SGS2. I charged it, used it for a while, and around 50% the phone just shut down. Smashed the battery a couple of times on the floor, and it re-worked again, but for like 15 minutes. I changed the battery and it works just fine since then!