Virgin Mobile S2 4G has clockwork, but all roms give Status 7

cbarnhil

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
i could definitely use that back up anyway you could upload it to mediafire or something?

I'm uploading to dropbox now. Its a massive file so its taking a minute. Do you have custom recovery flashed to your phone? If not you'll need to do that 1st. Click on the link that I posted yesterday. Follow it step by step. (Credit goes to Rwilco12 over @ XDA, he's got the tools and the know
how) When you get to the part about flashing superuser just flash the nand.zip in its place.

Please follow the directions on the repository completely!!! Just remember you are in control of turning your phone into a brick or not. Follow the guide and you'll be fine.

1st: Go to Samsung.com and download the usb drivers from their site.

2nd: Flash and install the recovery via "One Click" on a PC.

3rd: Flash the Nandroid Back-up and you should be good. (it comes rooted btw)

4th: Enjoy your now rooted and backed up SGS2

cbarnhil

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Click on the link from my original post yesterday. You'll want to flash the recovery on the repository site. It's a "One Click" method that requires a pc. But just follow the rooting guide and it flashes the recovery. There's always a chance that you could make an expensive paperweight/Brick. So be careful. Just follow that guide (Credit goes to Rwilco12 over @ XDA) it worked for me.

bmillar43068

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
But just follow the rooting guide and it flashes the recovery.

i flashed the recovery and made a backup but it wont boot now and i have the yellow triangle

so do i just put your nand.zip (when you get it uploaded) on the sd card and restore it using that or am i installing it like i do superuser?

Last edited:

imme2007

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
hey,i am in the same boat and i need the backup too,would like to say thanks to everyone here,i been following this thread for days and this is the only one that has been going anywhere,waiting for the upload :)

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Cbarnhill did you ever post the nandroid backup of vm rom?
I was able to compile the kernel thanks to shanenielsen1234 at Android Dev. How-To Guide: Compiling the Android/Linux kernel for the Epic Touch 4G - xda-developers
but that's it, I don't know what use that could be to someone as that is not the entire rom, I've come to understand that a ROM is much more then just a kernel, it has a platform,source code,and some other stuff??
Anyway I can post an unmodified VM kernel for galaxy s2 and what should be a rooted VM kernel. Use the link above to figure out how to use them, I zipped them up. Each zip has a zimage (is for mobile odin) and mykernel.tar (is for use with odin.)
vm_kernel_w_root.zip - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
vm_kernel_stock.zip - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

bmillar43068

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
yea i compiled that too. did you use the kernel from samsung? i tried to do the same ics but couldnt manage to get the commands to work on ubuntu probably my lack of knowledge of linux lol plus i think that it was going to take up a LOT more disk space which i dont have right now

also did you try and flash it yet? i havent

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Kernel is from samsung the last one vm in name. To compile it i followed the directions i mentioned but if you look in the readme file that comes with the kernel from samsung they also give you directions in thete you will see the configuration file is different this time around so the commands have to be adjusted according. Don't have time now to get into details. Take care.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

redrunner1985

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

rxvexe

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Update: I went with the rooted restore of the VM rom posted above, but sadly, that did not fix my network issues, it seems now I've lost my aaa keys, wimax, etc settings.

Not much more i can do, unless I want to manual put in all the settings, which I won't be able to find. Guess it's a dead-end for me.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Update: I went with the rooted restore of the VM rom posted above, but sadly, that did not fix my network issues, it seems now I've lost my aaa keys, wimax, etc settings.

Not much more i can do, unless I want to manual put in all the settings, which I won't be able to find. Guess it's a dead-end for me.

Just do a ##786# and reset, profile update, then a PRL update. IN THAT ORDER on a VM stock rom.

ksg97

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Just do a ##786# and reset, profile update, then a PRL update. IN THAT ORDER on a VM stock rom.

I just flashed the above vmu rom pack and it's working fine so far, but I think I may be having the same data issues not sure (always kind of had crappy coverage at home). would resetting the profile and PRL correct this issue for me with this specific rom [ROM][ODIN][TAR]SPH-D710VMUB FJ12 (FJ12 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Root/Stock) Thanks to everyone in this post.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

ksg97

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried that method but can't retrieve MSL code even with terminal emulator. is their any other option. or is there anyone who can post the code. virgin mobile by the way

I fixed my problem by installing the version that resetted the data instead of keeping mine. I made backups of my media and apps,so I just had to spend a hour or so reinstalling everything. But I'm running rooted and all I have to do is what for a recovery mod.Then I can explore the world of andriod rooting. any sugestions on where to go next?

Last edited: