WARNING!!! Do NOT update GSam Battery Monitor on your GS2!!! It will KILL it!! (UPDATE: Better now.)

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: The bad package that caused this snafu was replaced, so it should be safe to update to v.2.24. My thanks to the developer for trying to help sort things out.

============

While I was sitting here, I noticed my GS2 had frozen up. I forced it to power down and when rebooted, it never made it back to fully booted and then reboots itself. I thought it was a bad SD card or battery, but then I noticed that my Nexus 4's app had updated and was FCing when I tried to start it. I then went to the app's page and all the recent reviews are from GS3 users experiencing FCs and then a guy with a GS2 posted the exact same symptoms; it appears our phones were killed by it. Son of a....

Do NOT update GSam!!! Turn off auto-updates NOW!!!!

Last edited:

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: WARNING!!! Do NOT update GSam Battery Monitor on your GS2!!! It will KILL it!!!

I updated it on my gs2...it's force closing but no phone murder as of yet :confused:

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: WARNING!!! Do NOT update GSam Battery Monitor on your GS2!!! It will KILL it!!!

Good to hear. I'm still screwed. Heading to XDA to see if a NO_DATA Odin is available. I've had my evening wrecked by this. :(

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry... that's weird that it would completely jack up your phone like that. Good luck getting it fixed.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

In the app page's user reviews, a 3rd person has posted the same soft boot-looping situation that I and the other poor bloke are experiencing. Grrrr. I've just downloaded the ODIN to see if that can salvage things. I'd taken the FI27 OTA instead of using a rooted one-click, so I had to backtrack and figure out what version that was since most of the latest leaks have been JB-based. Bother.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

This reminds me of the apex launcher fiasco a couple weeks back. Luckily I did decide to read the reviews on that before i updated it...

Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. I also hope those other people who are getting soft bricked know how to fix it, heh.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

The ODIN is currently transferring; we'll know soon enough. I'm lucky in that I know how to find these sorts of things and potentially solve these problems myself without factory resetting. I did what I'm doing now last winter when I tried an ad-blocker which cause my GS2 to reboot every couple of minutes. It was a mess, but I managed to make it an epic fail by running ROM Manager on it unaware that what worked on the EVO 4G would absolutely lay waste to a GS2. I ended up re-running the ODIN-OC I had on hand to fix things up in 10 minutes after banging my head against the wall for 4 hours trying to sort it out. ARGH!!!

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Well, crap. Looks like I'm going to have to nuke it after all. ODIN-OC finished, but the problems remained. I was able to rush into settings and uninstall GSam after several tries, but it's still freezing up and soft rebooting. I got a reply from the dev that he released a bad build of the free version and that an updated one will be live shortly, but that doesn't do me or anyone else who got boned any good. Good luck making anyone into a paying customer after this fiasco, Bub. :mad:

UPDATE: I have had several rounds of emails with the dev and he is trying to be helpful, suggesting possible fixes. He's baffled as to what's going on, but he's heard from a couple of others in the same trouble so has to believe us. I'm reporting back what I'm seeing and perhaps we can get to the bottom of things. There's something to be said for complaining in a mature manner instead of all-capping "APIC FALE!!!" at someone.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Could you add the update via the Web play store and have auto install? Or does it reboot too fast?

Totally sucks.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Could you add the update via the Web play store and have auto install? Or does it reboot too fast? Totally sucks.
I tried pushing the uninstall from the web page, but what appears to be happening is that the Android System process is hanging and times out eventually causing the soft reboot.

He sent me a link to a page describing how to get into "Android Safe Mode" which in 2-1/2 years of messing with Android, I'd never heard of before. When I told him as much, he replied,
"i must confess, I hadn't heard of safe mode either until tonight..." This is a guy with a very cool app which has been DLed hundreds of thousands of times and he'd never heard of it either?!?

He has posted a 2.24 update which fixes things for the FCing on the N4, but I'm still toast on the GS2. He says he's still looking into it. I'll give him credit for trying and not just hiding out.

drtomc

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I am having the same problem. Can't even uninstall with TB. Wondering if I should nandroid to a previous version of my Rom or wait until another solution is found. I emailed the dev a little while ago, hopefully will hear something soon. I have the E4GT.

Found a workaround that worked for me.
I used Titanium to uninstall App, and then Data. Then I reverted to a previous version 2.22 that I had backed up with Titanium. I first tried the option to uninstall App+Data at the same time. It failed. Then I tried to uninstall Data only, and reinstall the app, that failed. Finally, I froze the app, then uninstalled App only, then uninstalled data only, then unfroze it, then reinstalled previously backed up App, all within Titanium. Now it works again. I have my phone back and a working version of GSam, and of course unchecked auto update in the Android Market. I don't know if freezing was necessary, but the combination of things worked for me.

Good luck.

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I tried pushing the uninstall from the web page, but what appears to be happening is that the Android System process is hanging and times out eventually causing the soft reboot.

He sent me a link to a page describing how to get into "Android Safe Mode" which in 2-1/2 years of messing with Android, I'd never heard of before. When I told him as much, he replied,
"i must confess, I hadn't heard of safe mode either until tonight..." This is a guy with a very cool app which has been DLed hundreds of thousands of times and he'd never heard of it either?!?

He has posted a 2.24 update which fixes things for the FCing on the N4, but I'm still toast on the GS2. He says he's still looking into it. I'll give him credit for trying and not just hiding out.

Ya he seems like the real deal as far as devs go. I've never heard of safe mode either. I guess you don't know about some things until you have a problem to solve.

I was running GSM on my GS2 only until a few weeks back. I hadn't been using it much so I uninstalled it.

I hope you get this sorted out.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

duck383

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

had used this app before till i learned about battery widget reborn cpl month ago on my Gs2 now using on Gs3 and havent looked back since / hope all is well soon

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Just a heads up, there was another update for it this morning and now it's working on my E4GT.

Did you get your phone working again, Dirk?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

As I noted about, I updated to 2.34 last night and the N4 is fine, but the GS2 is still dead. He wrote me this morning and said that one guy did are reset and the other was able to get in and remove the app and he was fine. Unfortunately, I was able to get the app off, but I'm still boned. I've messed with it a while, but it's looking grim unless there's a way to connect to it via ADB, something that I know little about. Sigh. What really sucks is that there are a couple of great live wallpapers that have disappeared from the Play store that I was hoping to get via Ti BU. Now that looks lost. Drat.

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

sent from MY BAD A$$ ET4G

Last edited:

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure how I'd do that; a pointer to a tutorial would be appreciated. I used the rooted FI27 ODIN-OC to attempt to fix things without success. Also, the nAndroid will back up EVERYTHING, right? The problem is that I've got a ton of music in my Spotify app that doesn't need storing. I think there's enough room to store it out to the SD card; would that work? There are a couple of other things that I think are stuck in limbo that I really need to get, so if this method can work, it'd be awesome. Thanks.

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my bad a$$ epic

Last edited:

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Last edited:

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Last edited: