Unknown icon in notification bar, and unable to turn "searching for service" off

chewedpup

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I have just arrived in the UK for 6 weeks with my lovely Samsung SII (Sprint). I have noticed an unknown icon in the notification bar - it's a circle with a line through it, and when I pull the notification bar down, I see "searching for service". This is towards the top of the screen, but the actual circle with the line through it does not show up when I pull the notification bar, it still stays at the top on the right. As a result, my battery has gone from 100% to 75% in FIFTEEN minutes - obviously whatever it's doing is totally draining the battery. I have disabled the 3g Data box under MOBILE NETWORKS (network settings) - that doesn't do anything. I tried changing from sprint to automatic back to sprint (in roaming mode) - that does nothing (icon still there). The only time it will disappear is if I put on airplane mode - then it goes away but then I can't use wifi to send and receive emails - so that defeats the purpose. I have attached screenshots of both screens. Anybody know what this icon is? Anyone know how I can stop my phone from constantly searching for service while I'm in the UK, without putting it into airplane mode? THANK YOU

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-16-21-04-202.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-16-21-04-202.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_2012-12-16-20-58-28.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-16-20-58-28.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 76

ReDDevil2112

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
"Circle with a line through it" means it's crossed out. You know, like the signs with a cigarette in a red circle with a line through it? That means "no smoking". In this case, that icon is where your reception is displayed. Meaning you have "no reception" or no service. That's why the icon changes into an airplane in airplane mode; it's not that there's no service, it's that you turned it off.

The reason your battery is dying so fast is because the phone works harder when the signal is weaker. With no signal, the phone is spending all is power searching. Airplane mode tells the phone to stop searching, so battery life is much improved.

You can still use wifi in airplane mode. Enable airplane mode, THEN turn on wifi.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

chewedpup

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! How thick am I that I never even tried that? I assumed wrongly that once in airplane mode, you could not get service OR connect to wifi, so I never even tried. I put it in AM, then clicked on wifi - and voila, there's no more searching for signal, that round circle with the line through it that means no service has gone, and my battery is now as good as gold, lasting for hours! THANK YOU THANK YOU. Just feel stoooopid now! such a simple solution.

ReDDevil2112

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
You're welcome. I thought the same as you at first, but figured I'd try anyway and was surprised when the wifi ended up connecting.
Glad I could help :)

Sent from my Galaxy S II

Larry Cohen

May 23, 2013
Visit site
"Circle with a line through it" means it's crossed out. You know, like the signs with a cigarette in a red circle with a line through it? That means "no smoking". In this case, that icon is where your reception is displayed. Meaning you have "no reception" or no service. That's why the icon changes into an airplane in airplane mode; it's not that there's no service, it's that you turned it off.

The reason your battery is dying so fast is because the phone works harder when the signal is weaker. With no signal, the phone is spending all is power searching. Airplane mode tells the phone to stop searching, so battery life is much improved.

You can still use wifi in airplane mode. Enable airplane mode, THEN turn on wifi.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

There's just one problem with this theory. I had the same problem, and then I rebooted my phone. Suddenly, sitting in the exact same spot where I had "no signal", I had a full signal when the phone came back up. This is a software or kernel bug. I have a Galaxy S4 so this won't help to point the finger at Samsung or Android. I also have T-Mobile service, but as I said, this has nothing to do with the actual signal. The signal was there the whole time, but something broken in the phone was preventing it from picking up the signal.

Josh Rainwater

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever find a solution for this problem?? I have a flashed Note 2 on the cricket Network and it has just recently started doing the same thing "searching for service". I took it back down to where I had it flashed and they had no clue... I have been using it for 3-4 months and have never had one issue until just last week, not it seems to happening all the time!

Ricky Hernandez1

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
HI,., Just join this forum. I'm having problem also with my Samsung Ace. I don't have signal on my phone. can't received messages and can't make calls coz of "Circle with a line through it" above my phone. Please help. Thankz.. Please see attached.
SC20131029-185905.png

AliKhan051

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-12-08-18-40-10.jpg
Please help me to get the rid of this strange icon near WIFI signal Galaxy S3 SHV-210L Korean version Android 4.3
I have just arrived in the UK for 6 weeks with my lovely Samsung SII (Sprint). I have noticed an unknown icon in the notification bar - it's a circle with a line through it, and when I pull the notification bar down, I see "searching for service". This is towards the top of the screen, but the actual circle with the line through it does not show up when I pull the notification bar, it still stays at the top on the right. As a result, my battery has gone from 100% to 75% in FIFTEEN minutes - obviously whatever it's doing is totally draining the battery. I have disabled the 3g Data box under MOBILE NETWORKS (network settings) - that doesn't do anything. I tried changing from sprint to automatic back to sprint (in roaming mode) - that does nothing (icon still there). The only time it will disappear is if I put on airplane mode - then it goes away but then I can't use wifi to send and receive emails - so that defeats the purpose. I have attached screenshots of both screens. Anybody know what this icon is? Anyone know how I can stop my phone from constantly searching for service while I'm in the UK, without putting it into airplane mode? THANK YOU

henry cuskin

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Unknown icon in notification bar, and unable to turn "searching for service" off

Why has my moto g got white circle with line through it

- - - Updated - - -

Why has my moto g got white circle with line through it

Tina Hua

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Don't feel stupid! Thank you for posting the question because I had the same problem and you helped me and likely many other people too. Cheers!

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine is on the left top of the screen, and the line in the circle is horizontal. I have a note 4 from tmobile. Sliding notification down shows no text to go with the symbol. Anyone know what this is?

Howard Polack

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It is your notifications shut off or set to none. Hold your volume up or down and then press on the Bell in right side of the volume control display menu. Then select priority or all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool