Does Jelly Bean fix Micro USB to HDMI MHL?

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
With Gingerbread and a low cost Micro USB to HDMI MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) adapter it was possible to connect the Epic 4G Touch directly to any HDTV that has an available HDMI port.

Ice Cream Sandwich broke this functionality.

Is it working with Jelly bean, or did it stay broken?

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok, let me rephrase my original question. Will the USB to HDMI MHL adapters that stopped working under ICS start working with JB?

Obviously, that can only be answered by someone who both has a broken adapter, and who has already updated to JB.

Next question, when you have time could you please post the exact brand and model number of your adapter?

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, let me rephrase my original question. Will the USB to HDMI MHL adapters that stopped working under ICS start working with JB?

Obviously, that can only be answered by someone who both has a broken adapter, and who has already updated to JB.

Next question, when you have time could you please post the exact brand and model number of your adapter?

The easiest way, I would suggest testing with yours in particular. Each case that I have heard suggests it really is that picky.
Have you thought about making the jump to JB?

marsworldd

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am using the mendtek MHL to HDMI adapter with RCP and it worked great on gingerbread - it stopped on ics - I just rooted and applied the jb 4.1.1 update and tried the adapter and it still does not work. :-( It does not shut the phone down like the ics did, but it doesn't find the hdmi connection. So, at this point at least with this particular adapter - the answer is NO it did not fix the issue.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Marsworldd, I have the exact same adapter.

I got it at Amazon for $10. It listed compatibility with the Epic Touch 4G, but it was only a few of the reviews (I didn't read them all) that revealed that ICS broke the adapter's functionality. For ten bucks, I'm too busy to bother with the return, especially if there is a chance that JB will restore its functionality.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, nigel. Unfortunately, my phone isn't rooted. My S2 is only six months old, and the mere thought of the possibility of a $435 (I paid the full unsubsidized price at Ting) six month old brick with a voided warranty is not pleasant. That said, I don't think I will be able to wait out the one year warranty period. I love this device, but I've run Linux on my PC for the last ten years and not having full control of my S2 is very annoying.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, nigel. Unfortunately, my phone isn't rooted. My S2 is only six months old, and the mere thought of the possibility of a $435 (I paid the full unsubsidized price at Ting) six month old brick with a voided warranty is not pleasant. That said, I don't think I will be able to wait out the one year warranty period. I love this device, but I've run Linux on my PC for the last ten years and not having full control of my S2 is very annoying.

I just root when I need to then unroot. The process is much easier using ChainFire's one click.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

marsworldd

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So obviously Tony Android, the jb doesn't fix it.. Or at least not my rooted 4.1.1 version..? Also, fyi - I asked samsung support as to the compatible adapters that would work with this phone and support ics and jellybean.. They said EIA2UHUNBEGSTA would work. So, I ordered it from amazon. However, it didn't work. But, they didn't send me the EIA2UHUNBEGSTA model, instead it is the EIA2UHUNBKG .. It does however work with ICS, but not my jb version.? I am not sure if this is really the same adapter? Or they shipped the wrong one. I am checking with support on this situation. Hope to get an answer soon. Does anyone know if the Cirgao works with JB 4.1.1?

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
@ marsworldd

I ordered the Cirago MHL1000 adapter than richardodn linked to in this thread. Costs twice as much as the Menotek ($20 versus $10), but the Cirago adapter works perfectly for me. I've had it about a week now, and I've used it a few times.

Video plays with sound, whether downloaded or camcorder footage from the SII itself. Quality is very good on my 1080p 50 inch Zenith (rebadged LG) plasma.

marsworldd

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
truoc444

Mine was not working in ICS but works fine on JB. I have the menotek one from amazon.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Which Jelly Bean version do you have? I rooted and upgraded to 4.1.1 - and neither adapter work - (mendtek or the samsung) now I think I will try 4.1.2 (there are a few versions of this leaked) - if I don't break all together, I will let you know what happens.

Tony android the samsung adapter does work with ICS, but I really don't want to go back to ICS now as I've fallen in luv with jellybean.. Also, not sure if the Cirago works with any version of jb? Anyone know?

marsworldd

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
truoc444

Mine was not working in ICS but works fine on JB. I have the menotek one from amazon.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Which Jelly Bean version do you have? I rooted and upgraded to 4.1.1 - and neither adapter work - (mendtek or the samsung) now I think I will try 4.1.2 (there are a few versions of this leaked) - if I don't break all together, I will let you know what happens.

Tony android the samsung adapter does work with ICS, but I really don't want to go back to ICS now as I've fallen in luv with jellybean.. Also, not sure if the Cirago works with any version of jb? Anyone know?

Ok follow up - flashed with jelly bean pacman version 4.1.2 and the samsung adapter now WORKS! Yeah! :)

Thedonkeyshow808

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes.
It will work on JB.
I almost tossed my cheap hdmi mhl adapter because it didn't work on ics for me. I thought it was broken.

Unfortunately I don't have the brand or model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781