"Assault & Battery" or "mAh biscuits are burnin'!"

ackthbbft

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
So the battery drain on my E4GT was horrendous (surprise!), to the point where not only did I only get about 5 hours out of it on any given day, but it eventually died completely (even though it supposedly had 28% charge), causing the phone to either freeze mere seconds after booting or not boot at all. Removing the battery showed it had gained some girth. It was quite swollen (which may have been my own fault, as I was in the habit of keeping it plugged into a charger just about constantly, but I sorta had to because of the poor life it had in the first place).

So, that same day (two days ago), I purchased a new battery (from a local Batteries Plus location, not Sprint, since they apparently don't carry the batteries anymore) and figured my problems were likely solved.

Today I spent the day at the Consumer Electronics Show, and just to be sure I would get through the day, I turned off all wireless (Airplane mode), removed running widgets (which would vanish on their own anyway, but that's another issue entirely), turned on Juicedefender (for any additional battery power saving it might provide) and only used the phone very occasionally to check the CES app for exhibitor locations.

The result: Phone completely dead before 1pm (I got there at 9am).

Apparently, my bad battery life was not due to the old swollen battery, as the new battery's life is just as bad. I suspect even if I keep it plugged in to charge only as long as needed (as the salesperson at Batteries Plus instructed*), this battery will end up swollen and dead soon, too, because I noticed the phone seemed hot even when the phone was turned off. The problem appears to be the phone itself (either in the OS or perhaps something with the physical internals).

I had previously checked my battery usage stats from within Android Settings, and the main drain was the screen (which is supposedly normal). Every app seemed to have reasonable stats in regards to battery usage, as well. But then I checked the battery stats from within the Sprint Zone app's diagnostic tools (after finding it referred to in another battery-related thread), and it said the biggest drain on my battery was a game I downloaded a year ago and NEVER even once launched to play (GameLoft's Asphalt 6, which I bought only because of a 10-cent sale Google was running a while back; I have now uninstalled it).

I also noticed in another location that it said my account sync was causing high drain. It said it was synchronizing 30 accounts, yet when opening the list it only showed 5 (Twitter, 2 Gmail accounts, an Exchange account, and Facebook).

I loved my phone when I first got it. I absolutely hate it now, and I'm not sure I'd ever get another Samsung phone after going through this (although my stepfather loves his GS3 and the GN2 I saw today seemed pretty cool).

I've heard some say a factory reset can resolve battery issues, but that seems like a pain, especially if I have to track down all my apps again (I have a LOT, though admittedly many, if not most, have gone unused), back up my images somewhere, etc.

So, my question pretty much is: dafuq? :confused:

Thanks for any advice!

13curly

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm also experiencing fast batter drain. A new battery seemed to be the answer for about a week. Now I'm back to charging at 3:00 in the afternoon.

What's the name of the Sprint Zone app you used? I can't seem to locate it. Thx.

ackthbbft

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm also experiencing fast batter drain. A new battery seemed to be the answer for about a week. Now I'm back to charging at 3:00 in the afternoon.

What's the name of the Sprint Zone app you used? I can't seem to locate it. Thx.

Dialing *2 will take you directly into the Sprint Zone app's diagnostic area, scroll down to the bottom to reach "More Diagnostics" to find the various related power-eating settings.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The swollen battery is normal (I'm not saying it's a good thing) we have a few epics as loaner phones at my job and they all have that problem as do all of the trade ins we take. I always thought it was pretty bizarre.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums