Sprint s2 Jelly Bean. Ever?

cs2870

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I swear to god, I will never own another samsung phone. I heard their updates were slow to non-existent before I got this phone, and didn't think it was a big deal, until I got the ice cream sandwich, which should have been called turd sandwich. Anyway, I got an update recently. When it said there was an update I was ecstatic, since I've heard news of jelly bean coming for several months. Well, after upgrading it was just 4.04. I guess this was a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, as many phones as Samsung sells, you would think they could devote a few more engineers to updates, because their customer satisfaction is eventually going to go down the toilet.

Any "new" news about when ( if ever ) the Jelly Bean update will be out? I am about ready to say UP YOURS sprint, UP YOURS samsung, and switch to verizon and buy an htc or motorola phone. At least with my HTC evo 4g, I got updates at a fairly decent rate.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I do not believe it is Sammy's fault....they have been upgrading all the SGS2's on other carriers quite steadily....it's is Sprint that is the holdup.

cs2870

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
one more straw on the camels back... i'll hold on till my contract is up and cya later sprint. "unlimited" = slow as piss and no 4g anytime soon ( here , anyway )

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There are leaked Jellybean builds that are reported to be very good. If that doesn't work you can also root and install a CM or other AOSP build.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait until my contract is up. Bye Sprint. Bye CDMA. Bye non-Nexus phones. I will likely wait another couple months after my contract is up to see the Nexus 4 successor. I can't wait to save money, get better reception, better data speeds, not be locked into a contract, and get security and OS updates when they are released by Google. Geez.
Sprint Customer 1999-2013 -- RIP Sprint.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
i don't get what you guys are complaining about. sprint is always the first to get updates out to their phones. keep in mind that the phone is older and their priority is with the newer devices

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Sprint typically beats the other US carriers, but is months behind Nexus updates. The latest update we received was primarily to patch a security vulnerability. That took 2-3 months. GSM Nexus phones had the patch in weeks. Also, we are still going to be at least 6 months behind JB going onto GSM Nexus phones. Like Apple's Iphones, Google will give a new OS to a Nexus branded phone as long as the hardware can handle it. Good business model for me. I really don't want to wait for Sammy and Sprint, when all they really want is for me to buy a new phone and to lock into another 2 year contract. I'm done with that model.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
You should be happy. The epic 4g touch phone started on gingerbread. It got updated to ICS (even though ics was bad on the eg4t) and soon jellybean. That will be 2 major updates. Look up the jellybean leaks such as "e4gt gb08 rom", Extremely stable. The moto photon on the other hand stayed on gingerbread.

On the other hand, switching to gsm will always deliver faster updates, especially on the nexus line up. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

E4GTUser94

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
You should be happy. The epic 4g touch phone started on gingerbread. It got updated to ICS (even though ics was bad on the eg4t) and soon jellybean. That will be 2 major updates. Look up the jellybean leaks such as "e4gt gb08 rom", Extremely stable. The moto photon on the other hand stayed on gingerbread.

On the other hand, switching to gsm will always deliver faster updates, especially on the nexus line up. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I was just about to say the same, if you go into the e4gt forum on xda there are multiple JB leaks and ROM's built off of them. Its coming within the next month I would say, just be patient and as Febby said, we're lucky we got updated as much as we will! Oh yeah and you could also visit his RDF thread, funny place lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you 2. I have thought about rooting many times. But with the OTA likely around the corner, I'm gonna wait.

Bottom line for me is that this is about choice. The typical US version is to have my phone carrier subsidized, which I have done since I started using cell service. However, there is a nice trend starting where the consumer buys their phone outright and they are not at the mercy of the carrier for updates, etc. T-Mo may be eliminating all subsidizing and having any "financing" separated from their cell and data service. Subsidizing made more sense to me with feature phones, but phones today are computers. Imagine buying a laptop and not getting the OS updates straight from MS or Apple. Finding a security vulnerability and waiting 2-3 months for a patch. Or having Windows or iOS release a major update, and while your computer may be capable of running it very well, having Sprint tell you that they are not going to update the OS or that it will take 6-10 months to get it. For me, rather than supporting this system, I am going to go Nexus and I will buy it straight up. If I have to finance it, I'll do that like I would with any computer purchase--with a bank and not with a carrier.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since build GB08 is an official build, you only need ODIN to install it on your phone, and rooting is unnecessary. Find the file on XDA, download it, reboot phone into download mode, install through ODIN and reboot. I have had either GB08 or GA10 for about a month now. Samsung actually released the update a while ago, it is Sprint (along with any other carrier) to go through it and put bloatware garbage on it. To Compare the Nexus to any other phone is foolish, along the lines of comparing an Audi R8 to a Saturn. An unlocked Nexus will get any and all updates within 72 hours of release.
Best advise: Check out QBKing77's You Tube videos on the Epic 4G Touch. He does instructional videos very well, offers clear instructions, and posts links to all files. The ONE time a mistake happened: I skipped a small but important step.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
@ Brainerd: I am not too thrilled about T-Mo and their non subsidy. From what I understand (And I may be wrong) to finance through T-Mo, a down payment is needed, a savings of $20-$30 is what is generally expected from the non subsidy, but you will make payments to the phone for the next 20 months. To a degree, that whole idea breaks even, depending on the down payment required, and the full cost of the phone. Second, if you do pay for a phone on the T-Mo network and want to leave T-Mo, it doesn't have the same radio chip as Sprint and Verizon, so you can't take the phone to them. I am not even sure if it will work on AT&T.
I am guessing you will still be at T-Mo's mercy for updates, you are still on their network, they will still comb through the builds to put bloatware in them. I will agree the Nexus 4 is the better way to go, but the Nexus 4 can't operate on Sprint or Verizon.

kybdplr

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I just paid a guy at a phone store $60 to root my phone (Galaxy S2) with Jellybean 4.1.2
Its freaking awesome!!!!! I love it...turned my phone into a slightly smaller S3 basically.
Its smoother..the camera works better......I would do it.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Posts offering to perform services in exchange for compensation are not allowed. Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver97.
GB08 has been temping me. I've checked out QBKing77 a lot in the past. Good resource. GB08 sounds fairly stable. I just recall side installing a pre-released "official update" in the past (I think it was for my EVO 4G) and then finding out that the real official had other changes. HTC had to issue a special update, later, for us impatient early adopters to get us back to the new stock. My issue with rooting is that my phone is my personal and professional lifeline. Many times rooted options have some limitations; something doesn't work right. I guess its a case of staying with the devil you know (stock) rather than going with the devil you don't know. I'll check out QBKing77, today, and maybe, I'll make the jump. One thing is for sure. Getting 4.2.* and beyond is not a given with the SII, so rooting might be the way for me to get that.

T-Mo subsidizing. Personally, I wouldn't buy a phone from T-Mo or any other carrier for the very reasons that you listed. No more carrier branded and controlled phones for me. I would go to the Google Play Store and get the Nexus. If T-Mo or AT&T offered it at a similar price then I would buy an unlocked Nexus from them, however.

My personal plan is to get a GSM Nexus this Fall when my Sprint is up. By then, I might just wait a little longer to get the "next" Nexus. I'll have my number ported to GV (hopefully they have true MMS support by then :( ) and then get a SIM for T-Mo, AT&T, or one of their pre-paid MVNOs. I'd go monthly, and see who gives the best coverage and service for my needs. Freedom and flexibility, baby! :)

dcb4l77

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I just paid a guy at a phone store $60 to root my phone (Galaxy S2) with Jellybean 4.1.2
Its freaking awesome!!!!! I love it...turned my phone into a slightly smaller S3 basically.
Its smoother..the camera works better......I would do it.
Did it give you pop up play and better battery life?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool