Sprint Releases Jelly Bean Today!

Redraider1

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the dumb question, but how do you use Kies? When I start Kies air app nothing happens, it tells me to enter a webaddress into my pc browser, but when I do it won't go to the page?

If I do get it to connect how do I find the update?

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@redraider1

Not a dumb question lol. You have to download the desktop version from the Samsumg website and use that. After you download it, plug up your phone to your computer via USB and go from there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'm not alone.

It was Google Search core files and as ZackMack7 was saying, once downloaded it fixed it.

In case anyone else has an issue I was having issues with a few apps and if you didn't do a factory reset after the update, then clear the cache. It is the most missed step of solving issues.

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes I am having that problem too, but it wasn't until after I downloaded the Google Search jelly-bean update from the Play Store. Not sure what's up

I can't find the update, just Google Search itself which is already on my phone. That thing with the settings menu has been driving me mad ever since I first flashed a JB leak.

Last edited:

isidro7181

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Went into a sprint store today to see if they can update jelly bean for me. The lady told me to go the service&repair store but i didnt have time today and she told me that the update was rolling out as an OTA and I should wait for an update message on my phone but from what I've seen the file size is to big to be done via OTA so I have no way of getting the update since kies wont open on my computer I have to wait till I have time to go to the store :(

ackthbbft

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Update to my situation: Launched Kies today to find there was an update (to Kies itself). Ran said Kies update, still didn't work upgrading my phone's firmware to JB, just locks up after it says it is downloading the update, just like before.

I read that doing a factory reset on the phone will sometimes fix the Kies update issue (I'd been meaning to do that anyway to see if it fixes various performance issues I've been having). No joy. Kies still locks up in the same place.

This is fricking ridiculous. I guess I'll just have to take it to a Sprint store, and hope they can just do it in the 20 minutes I've seen others claim it to take. I certainly don't want to let them have it for a full 24 hours.

ghostkilla1388

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Updated my Boost Mobile Epic 4G Touch through Samsung Kies just an hour ago. Just messing around with it right now.

Does everything work right, i want to update my buddies phone but dont want it to mess anything up. Thanks, also have you found any issues?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't find the update, just Google Search itself which is already on my phone. That thing with the settings menu has been driving me since I first flashed a JB leak.

Work-around: Simply click on one of the items in Google Search/Now (i.e.: Weather Forecast Graphic), after that you should be able to access the menu without it "flashing away".

Good Luck!

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
No need to search I have the link. Plus you can get a rooted version which I feel is necessary to run a lot of important programs like Titanium and Roam Control.

Heimdall throws an error for the SPH-D710_GB27_1014481_Rooted_Nodata.tar.md5.gz file, "firmware.xml is missing from the package".

So I tried extracting the file. Then Heimdall begins to load the file, but still throws the same error in the end.

I don't have a Windows or Mac, so Heimdall is my only way to upgrade.

This should work in Heimdall, right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So I went to my sprint store to have the update done, and they look it up and tell me that it was released and then pulled today until April 1st. They told me to come back on the 1st and they would be able to do it. Oh, and they also said that it wasn't even the Samsung site anymore, which they checked as well. Then they read the message from the Samsung site that said it's been pulled until April 1st. Anybody else experience this at all?

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone finding that the 'firmware upgrade process' in kies is taking a crazy long time? It's been going for about 20 min now and I'm only at 11%. It doesn't appear to be installing anything to my phone at this point, looks like it's just downloading the update. Is this normal?

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Anyone finding that the 'firmware upgrade process' in kies is taking a crazy long time? It's been going for about 20 min now and I'm only at 11%. It doesn't appear to be installing anything to my phone at this point, looks like it's just downloading the update. Is this normal?

For me, this was normal.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Very cool... Thumbs up to Samsung/Sprint for making this happen and breathing new life into a device that still holds its own in many respects.

majstc1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Did the download over kies hard line yesterday and aside from wiping my home screens it's been great. BATTERY Life for 14 hours no problem. That google now settings thing is correct but I dont care and someone figured it out anyway. Loving it, no new phone for me this July.

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Work-around: Simply click on one of the items in Google Search/Now (i.e.: Weather Forecast Graphic), after that you should be able to access the menu without it "flashing away".

Good Luck!

Thanks for that. I've tried that before but the menu still disappears straight away. It's no big deal, just annoying.

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So I went to my sprint store to have the update done, and they look it up and tell me that it was released and then pulled today until April 1st. They told me to come back on the 1st and they would be able to do it. Oh, and they also said that it wasn't even the Samsung site anymore, which they checked as well. Then they read the message from the Samsung site that said it's been pulled until April 1st. Anybody else experience this at all?

I think they're pulling an early April Fool!

EricfromTx

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I went to clear data from the Google Search App and the menu doesn't disappear anymore. Settings>Application Manager>All>Google Search>Clear Data. I also Cleared the Cache.

rrollar

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Brought my phone into the Sprint store today on my lunch break, picked it up afterwards and this thing is running smooooth. Was glad I did it that way. Was quick and painless. If only all updates were this easy. No complaints so far, did have that issue with Google now but all tips on this thread fixed it no problem. I'm thinking this might be the final hoorah for this device though. Only if sprint would have a new nexus device.....

Although when I brought my phone in around 11am Arizona time they were a little thrown off and told me that it wasn't available. I asked them politely to check their updates and sure enough they found it. Kind of caught them off guard.