Hows everybody liking Official Jelly Bean (those who have it)? Thumbs up? Thumbs down?

Kyle Webb

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So now that I have upgraded, my long press of the search key launches the obnoxious Samsung Vlingo voice command app. it used to just launch a google voice search. any idea how to get that back.

and I know that by single pressing, it takes me to Google now, which has a search function, but i hate launching that app.

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing major, but everything is better. The font changes and the way things work faster is great. I was sure I was going to upgrade the phone to a SIII, now won't do it until SIV come down in price. It does seem faster and I think I am getting better battery usage, but I am not a power user so wouldn't know and I take a spare battery every where I go. I don't like the monster batteries, makes the phone an anchor. I highly recommend updating if you haven't yet. I didn't have many problems updating with Kies, other than I deleted it and had to reinstall on Win7 64. Good luck to all.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Still enjoying it, but decided to turn off Google Now, battery drain was a bit much.

I turn it on only when traveling out of town now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

stillpwning

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Thumbs up, for sure. Only gripe right now is that the clock app crashes whenever I try to set a new alarm. I've tried clearing data, force stop, reboots, but the problem persists. I didn't do a factory reset after the update, maybe that's the fix?

I've had the same problem, except only when good to the clock through Beautiful Widgets (clicking on time on my home screen). If I go into the Clock app in the app drawer, it won't crash.

I'm very satisfied otherwise. Does anyone know if we got that Smart Stay feature like we were supposed to?

Sent from my pager using the 1990s

elyeh

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using GB EK02. Is it worth going to JB? (really)
Seems like every other update had nothing but issues.
Its only been out a couple days so I'm wondering is it really worth it yet.

graysonk95

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
A few days later I've come up with some things I dislike:

-The screen times out during video viewing on non-mobile sites
-Pwr+Home is a much harder key combo for me than Pwr+Vol Down, the new combo requires two hands to screenshot
-The new gallery is laggy and the buttons are inconvenient (they're in the menu rather than on the screen)
-Photo Editor is watered-down (I loved the old stretch/distort tool!)
-The widget that allows you to control brightness, screen timeout, Bluetooth, wifi, etc seems to no longer exist
-Some apps take hours to update, but end up failing anyway (not sure if this is JB's fault)
-THE SCREEN COMES ON WHEN YOU RECEIVE A TEXT! How was this remotely a good idea?! We have a red notification light for that, we dont need to waste battery on powering on the screen!!! :mad: I wouldn't be pissed if they gave us the option to disable this.
-Because of the reason above, while texting the battery drains noticeably quicker (15% more over the course of a day)

Don't get me wrong, I love jelly bean, but some stuff was much better in ICS.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Still enjoying it, but decided to turn off Google Now, battery drain was a bit much.

I know... does Now NEED to know where it is all the time? I finally tracked down a means to toggle Google Location Services automatically... thing was throwing wakelocks like they were Mardi Gras beads... slowly sapping it dry while I thought it was sleeping. With that off, I can leave Now on and the drain is gone.

That was my only complaint with JB... some of the new apps were a little overzealous with their battery use when the screen was off. Outside of that, runs great and actually took care of some crashes I had in ICS.

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
yep. mine finally updated. and now, i am having this problem and others. so far, JB is annoying, but i'll see what i can figure out.

i actually think that JB is confusing SD Card storage with USB Storage. baffling.

undogooder

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Edit: After having a few days to play around with it(and being lucky enough to not have any bad side affects) I still love it. The google lay out is a lot better compared to ICS and also the default calendar(which I used all the time). Being on Virgin Mobile we got notification of the update April 5th. I was looking around on forums to see if I would have to un-root before downloading officially and couldn't get a straight answer so last night I did it knowing I would be able to "fix" my phone. FYI: IMO kies sucks and I do not recommend using it. After 15min of it trying to recognize my phone I went the Samsung installer route. Worked like a charm! So I fiddled with it for a bit before bed and have been doing the same this morning. So far I'm digging it. The thing that threw me the most is the new keyboard layout. Oh yeah, guess what? I was one of the many that suffered from horrible battery drain (on two different handsets...after deleting almost everything not vital to functionality!) and I can already tell this is waaaaaay better! Praise be to Jelly Bean!

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

nomadjim

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
dafever - How were you able to turn off the sound on the camera? I have looked and haven't found the setting to turn it off yet.

evofever

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
i went back to Gingerbread after running a leaked JB rom for a while. battery has been much better and gps better. Is this worth doing and is there a rooted version yet ?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been liking it enough, but battery life is a little worse and I'm having wifi issues now. I turned off Connection Optimizer but battery life only got marginally better. I may turn off Google Now and see if that does anything. My wifi issue is pretty annoying. It's having trouble connecting to most free wifi hotspots and then once connected shows that it's still connected even after I leave the wifi area. For instance, yesterday I went to a restaurant with wifi and manually connected to it. When I got home, 3 miles away, it showed that I was still connected to the restaurant wifi and signal strength was good. I had to turn off wifi then switch it back on to connect to my home network. And everyday when I get home from work my phone connects to my network then almost immediately reboots. I noticed it did the same thing when I connected to a friends home wifi.

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things I've noticed:

I can no longer zoom when recording HD video (1920x1080). But I can zoom if recording at a resolution of 1280x720 or lower. I didn't have this issue with ICS or GB.

When I send a picture to someone via text message, the picture is sent as a slide show, even if it's only one picture. I'd show a screen shot, but I can't get the screen shot function to work :'(

paulhead

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Well almost 48 hours since JB and I'm really digging it. Haven't had any problems and battery seems fine. voice recognition is a lot better (my phone didn't understand my perfrect engrish before for some reason), I like the font, and new differences a lot. I not fond of the alarm being taken out of the digital clock but ClockQ fixed that. I also dig how if you hold (thumb) the lock screen and tilt it it goes straight to camera. Everything seems a lot better to include internet. Was about to chuck this phone and up the $200 to get out of the contract a few weeks ago but Sprint pulled off a hail Mary.