Does anyone know how to enable Smart Stay? It's been said that this is a new addition to the Jelly Bean update. I can't find it anywhere.
    04-01-2013 01:49 PM
    From what I've read in other forums, I don't believe we're getting Smart Stay for the E4GT. However, if you're looking for an excellent alternative, I highly recommend Screebl, which utilizes the phone's motion sensors to detect current viewing/reading angle (that you set). As long as you keep the phone angled (for reading/viewing) within those parameters, the display will remain on. Only when you go outside the parameters (ie: put the phone down), will Screebl allow the phone display to turn off (in the timeout you set - I use 15 seconds).

I own the Pro version, but the most up-to-date version that I've been using for several months without issue is Screebl Beta. I believe it's still available for free in the Play store. Give it a shot... I hope it helps!

redhdgirl417 and planase like this.
    04-02-2013 11:26 AM
    Thank you for the great review for Screebl, I will check it out. However, on Sprint's website, it says that the SG2 is getting SmartStay with the GB27 update. Why would they say that we get SmartStay and we don't get it?

Sprint Community: Announcements: Samsung Galaxy S II Gets Jelly Bean Update

Beginning today, Samsung Galaxy S II customers will be able to upgrade to Android 4.1, Jelly Bean, via an over-the-wire update (via Samsungs Simple Upgrade Tool, SAMSUNG).

Jelly Bean offers users stunning graphic capabilities with expanded feature functionality. This software update will make several premium and intuitive Galaxy S III features available to Galaxy S II users.

Smart Stay: Tracks eye movement to ensure the device screen is always on while its viewed so the backlight doesnt dim or become idle
    Direct Call: Converts text message interface to the voice call interface by simply raising the phone to the ear
    Pop Up Play: Allows users to watch video content while operating any application at the same time

In addition, different operation modes allow users to modify phone functions to meet their always changing needs:

Easy Mode: A simpler home screen setup designed for first-time smartphone users, Easy Mode automatically populates your favorite settings, apps and contacts, in addition to a handful of larger Samsung widgets
    Blocking Mode:
    Power Saving Mode:

The Jelly Bean update also includes the addition of widgets to the lock screen. These widgets provide easy access to email, text messages, a clock, a calendar and the camera. The user can customize the five widgets in the lock screen to the services they use the most often. Jelly Bean also enables widgets to resize on their own, adjusting to the space available on the screen when new widgets are added.

Notifications are now more dynamic, as well: if youre late for a meeting or missed a call, you can email or call directly from notifications. The keyboard is smarter, more accurate and can predict your next word. Voice typing is faster, working even when you dont have a data connection.

Jelly Bean also provides a new Google Search experience on Galaxy S II, which includes a new user interface and a faster, more natural Voice Search called Google Now. Google Now allows you to type your query or simply ask Google a question. Google Now can speak back to you, delivering a precise answer such as how much traffic to expect before you leave for work or when the next train will arrive as youre standing on the platform.
    04-02-2013 10:19 PM
    I think that they just put up a generic list of JB upgrades. Whether or not our phone has them, they are technically JB upgrades. Smart stay may not be there, and I think that pop up play is not there either. We also don't have NFC, yet I'm pretty sure I saw a teaser touting how JB gives us Android Beam, even though it actually can't.
    04-02-2013 11:26 PM
    and I think that pop up play is not there either.
    Pop up play is included in this update. I've already used it and it's awesome.
    04-02-2013 11:53 PM
    Pop up play is included in this update. I've already used it and it's awesome.
    Good to know. Does it really just lay video over whatever app your using? I'm not sure I get the point entirely.
    04-03-2013 12:21 AM
    The video pops out into a small window on top of whatever app or home screen you're on. It's a really nice feature on jb.
    04-03-2013 07:54 AM
    I tend to agree with "UglyFido". I think the feature list probably is a "cut & paste" from the Galaxy S3. Take a look at the disclaimer statement on Samsung's (the phone's manufacturer) own landing page for the Sprint JB update. Sadly, many of us users know these products and actually do more research than the Sprint representatives!

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean upgrade is available for the Samsung Galaxy S II (Sprint) (SPH-D710). --- All about Android 4.1 Jelly Bean*

*Please note: not all features on your device will have the Jelly Bean features explained in this article.

We do not have NFC in the E4GT and having gone through virtually every menu and setting in the device, I do not believe we have "Smart Stay". In addition to "Pop-Up Play" being confirmed, I can also confirm that the "Direct Call" feature is included and works quite well.

Even if we get "Smart Stay", I have to believe that feature will create a pretty decent battery hit, as it must keep the front camera enabled to work properly, right? I still think Screebl is a better alternative. Having used it now for almost 2 years on this phone (through GB, ICS, and now JB), I've seen no meaningful battery hit, as it only uses the phone's motion sensors. I'm not just guessing, as I also use apps like GSam Battery to monitor which apps are eating up the battery, and at the end of an average day, Screebl generally clocks in at 2-4% of total battery use.

I know I sound like I'm the Dev pushing this app, but I'm not. The app is just extremely handy and reliable. I honestly don't understand why the Dev has not tried or been able to license it to a phone manufacturer as it solves a universal smartphone issue with simplicity.
    planase likes this.
    04-03-2013 10:38 AM
    hi i have an samsung s2 and the last software upgrade came with the smart stay, is working great....in display settings you can enable or disable this function. android version 4.1.2 good luck and have fun
    05-08-2013 09:35 PM
    try display settings functions good luck
    05-08-2013 09:37 PM
    hi i have an samsung s2 and the last software upgrade came with the smart stay, is working great....in display settings you can enable or disable this function. android version 4.1.2 good luck and have fun
    When you say you have a "Samsung S2", is it the Sprint Epic 4G Touch version? If not, you may have Smart Stay on a different S2 variant. I just double checked my Display Settings again (on GB27) and there is absolutely no "Smart Stay" and/or "Functions" setting.
    05-10-2013 11:54 AM
    Correct, smart stay was not included in gb27. Developers are working on it though.

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul
    05-11-2013 10:54 PM