Rebooting constantly after GB27 update!!!

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
My phone has started the dreaded random reboots while not charging after the GB27 update. Sometimes while running an app, sometimes not. If I don't catch it right after the lock screen comes back up, it will loop through endless restarts and kill battery life in the process. I read on the forums that restoring factory settings does not fix the issue. I've swapped the battery for a brand new one, also removed the SD card and later put a new one in, but no change.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience resolving this? I'm about to break down and go to Sprint, but I'd rather not.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My phone has started the dreaded random reboots while not charging after the GB27 update. Sometimes while running an app, sometimes not. If I don't catch it right after the lock screen comes back up, it will loop through endless restarts and kill battery life in the process. I read on the forums that restoring factory settings does not fix the issue. I've swapped the battery for a brand new one, also removed the SD card and later put a new one in, but no change.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience resolving this? I'm about to break down and go to Sprint, but I'd rather not.

Try to power down, reboot into recovery (Volume up and power at the same time until you see the samsung logo), and wipe cache. If that doesn't work try a factory reset, but I would do that in front of a Sprint rep.

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Try to power down, reboot into recovery (Volume up and power at the same time until you see the samsung logo), and wipe cache. If that doesn't work try a factory reset, but I would do that in front of a Sprint rep.

Thanks Golfdriver, I'll give it a shot by clearing the cache first. Why do the factory reset in front of a Sprint rep?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver, I'll give it a shot by clearing the cache first. Why do the factory reset in front of a Sprint rep?

My line of thinking was proof. If you did it in front of them and there is still problems, they can't deny it. Even if you do it then bring it in, they are going to do it anyway. The only other thing I can think of is to download the ROM, and install through ODIN.

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
My line of thinking was proof. If you did it in front of them and there is still problems, they can't deny it. Even if you do it then bring it in, they are going to do it anyway. The only other thing I can think of is to download the ROM, and install through ODIN.

That's a good point. I'm skeptical of it working because of posts I've read on this issue, but it's worth a try. Basically I just need to keep this phone functional until I can upgrade to the S4 :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes I will. Made it through 24 hours without a single reboot so I'm hopeful the situation is improving.

That is a good sign. If this is the cure, here is what most likely happened. An update is like flashing a new ROM to your phone, it's just the carrier is doing it for you, so if there is a screwup, it's on them, not you. So, when the new ROM is being installed, it is preserving your data, which is known as a 'dirty install'. Dirty installs can cause problems like these because old data doesn't know what to do with the new ROM or vice versa. When you cleared the cache, you cleared up where some of those mistakes occur. What may have happened was the clearing of the cache didn't execute or partially so.

DiegoSalazar

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem when I updated through Kies. I was running GB24.
Before the Kies update, I performed a backup because I guessed the jump to GB27 "might" cause problems.
Sure enough! After the update was "successfully" installed, the phone would just keep rebooting endlessly. However, in my case, the battery would charge.
I perused the forums, but wasn't able to find any specific info for this issue.
So I did what I do, and rebooted into recovery mode. After clearing the cache, to no effect, I finally opted for the factory reset, and voila!
Update to GB27 was automatically updated through Sprint. I have not flashed the phone. Am not currently in a plan. Using Google Voice.
Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch.

Carsten Soerensen

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I have Galaxy Note II, the international version, was workin pefectly last week, but had the latest update pushed by Samsung last Saturday, and then started constantly rebooting and reinstalling update endlessly. Yesterday I reset to factory using KIES. KIES said the operation was successful, but now the phone repeatedly reboots even faster. I guess I have to return it to the shop for repair, and go back to my old Nokia Symbian phone for now.

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem when I updated through Kies. I was running GB24.
Before the Kies update, I performed a backup because I guessed the jump to GB27 "might" cause problems.
Sure enough! After the update was "successfully" installed, the phone would just keep rebooting endlessly. However, in my case, the battery would charge.
I perused the forums, but wasn't able to find any specific info for this issue.
So I did what I do, and rebooted into recovery mode. After clearing the cache, to no effect, I finally opted for the factory reset, and voila!
Update to GB27 was automatically updated through Sprint. I have not flashed the phone. Am not currently in a plan. Using Google Voice.
Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch.

My restart problem returned over the weekend so I did a factory reset too! After the endless process of restoring all my apps and data, the phone is running superbly with no reboots. Also, after the GB27 update my phone was usually warm to the touch with horrendous battery drain, now it's cool as a cucumber and the battery life is better than ever. I was going to rush out and reserve a S4 but now I'm in no hurry and want to enjoy Jelly Bean on this phone for awhile :)

Last edited: