Does anyone think we will see 4.2? I'm only asking this because I'd really like to use Photosphere and Dashclock.
    05-13-2013 03:33 PM
    I'd speculate... No Way! --- As GB27 was being released, many different and generally reliable sources reported that would be the final update for the GS2/E4GT variant. Frankly, I was concerned that we'd never even see Jelly Bean, and be stuck with that "melted" version of Ice Cream Sandwich dished out to us by Sprint's horrible OTA.

After doing a fresh install of GB27, coupled with a new Samsung OEM battery, I feel like I have a new phone. My E4GT ran as smooth as silk for over 30 HOURS this weekend on a single charge. I've have never seen performance or battery life like this... ever... including the first day I bought the phone when it was released.
    05-13-2013 05:30 PM
    I'd speculate... No Way! --- As GB27 was being released, many different and generally reliable sources reported that would be the final update for the GS2/E4GT variant. Frankly, I was concerned that we'd never even see Jelly Bean, and be stuck with that "melted" version of Ice Cream Sandwich dished out to us by Sprint's horrible OTA.

After doing a fresh install of GB27, coupled with a new Samsung OEM battery, I feel like I have a new phone. My E4GT ran as smooth as silk for over 30 HOURS this weekend on a single charge. I've have never seen performance or battery life like this... ever... including the first day I bought the phone when it was released.
    I'm definitely loving my new JB update for my phone, all kinds of cool new stuff, I just wanted to enjoy those 2 apps without flashing my phone. I have a fear, possibly unfounded, of bricking my phone because it is the ONLY phone I have and if I break mine, I have 0 finances to deal with that right now. My contract is up in September with the ability to renew in July so i will either get a SGS4, or if the iPhone 5S or whatever they decide to call the next iPhone is awesome enough, I may go that way.
    drk65 likes this.
    05-13-2013 08:11 PM
    SamMobile has already tweeted that the Galaxy S2 will receive 4.2

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    05-14-2013 06:12 PM
    What kind of new stuff should I be seeing and / it looking for? Thank you all in advance!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    05-15-2013 04:36 PM
    Just to clarify, Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 has been available for all variants of the Galaxy SII via custom ROMs. (ROM stability may vary depending on dev support for your particular model of the SGSII.)

Does anyone think we will see 4.2?-uploadfromtaptalk1368661068236.jpg
    05-15-2013 06:37 PM
    Just to clarify, Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 has been available for all variants of the Galaxy SII via custom ROMs. (ROM stability may vary depending on dev support for your particular model of the SGSII.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368661068236.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	68266
    We definitely have several 4.2.2 AOSP based ROMs for the Epic 4G Touch. This thread is regarding 4.2 Touchwiz.

05-16-2013 01:29 AM
    I'm definitely loving my new JB update for my phone, all kinds of cool new stuff, I just wanted to enjoy those 2 apps without flashing my phone. I have a fear, possibly unfounded, of bricking my phone because it is the ONLY phone I have and if I break mine, I have 0 finances to deal with that right now. My contract is up in September with the ability to renew in July so i will either get a SGS4, or if the iPhone 5S or whatever they decide to call the next iPhone is awesome enough, I may go that way.
    1. How could you ever mention switching to an Iphone on an Android (which is top dog, I like to think of iOS as a communist OS) forum, especially one with great reputation.
    2. Drop the bricking idea all together. If you have no knowledge or faith in yourself with rooting, then no do not try it. It is almost impossible not to be able to recover from a brick. I have bricked many devices: PSP, Wii, and Epic 4g Touch. There is always a solution to a brick no matter what one may say.
    05-17-2013 11:17 AM
    SamMobile has already tweeted that the Galaxy S2 will receive 4.2

Here's a link to the article about this. Galaxy S II & Galaxy Note to get Android 4.2.2, Android 5.0 for the Galaxy S III & Galaxy Note II | SamMobile

The E4GT (D710) is not on that list.
    05-17-2013 01:23 PM
    Here's a link to the article about this. Galaxy S II & Galaxy Note to get Android 4.2.2, Android 5.0 for the Galaxy S III & Galaxy Note II | SamMobile

The E4GT (D710) is not on that list.
    You do realize the SPH-D710 has basically the same hardware as the GT-I9100 right? Minus the NFC function and it being CDMA not GSM, it will be very easy for Samsung to update the E4GT to Android 4.2.2 Jellybean.

Other Galaxy S2 variants on the other hand may not get the same treatment since they do not have an Exynos processor.

05-17-2013 02:21 PM
    You do realize the SPH-D710 has basically the same hardware as the GT-I9100 right? Minus the NFC function and it being CDMA not GSM, it will be very easy for Samsung to update the E4GT to Android 4.2.2 Jellybean.

Other Galaxy S2 variants on the other hand may not get the same treatment since they do not have an Exynos processor.
    Sadly, the decision (and action) doesn't only sit with Samsung... Sprint needs a reason (and they don't really have one any longer) to support and collaborate on such an update. Now that our E4GT is almost 2 years old and there are 2 newer generations available from Samsung (along with the very nice HTC One), Sprint WANTS those E4GT subscribers, soon to be off-contract, to move on and upgrade... and sign up for another 2 years.

My prediction regarding no E4GT upgrade to 4.22 has nothing to do with technology... and everything to do with BUSINESS! --- Sad, but true!
    colbyt94 and Golfdriver97 like this.
    05-19-2013 08:32 PM
    The phone could handle 4.2. Possibly even 5.0. The problem is drk65 hit the nail on the head. Any carrier doesn't want people to have the same device for 3, 4, or even 5 years. Yes, there is AOSP ROMs, and some TW based ROMs. But sadly, people aren't spending the time for developing them, as they are turning their attention to Galaxy S3, S4, and HTC One, etc...

As for my answer to this thread. I would say, no. There won't be an official 4.2 on this device.
    drk65 likes this.
    05-26-2013 11:58 AM
    The phone could handle 4.2. Possibly even 5.0. The problem is drk65 hit the nail on the head. Any carrier doesn't want people to have the same device for 3, 4, or even 5 years. Yes, there is AOSP ROMs, and some TW based ROMs. But sadly, people aren't spending the time for developing them, as they are turning their attention to Galaxy S3, S4, and HTC One, etc...

As for my answer to this thread. I would say, no. There won't be an official 4.2 on this device.
    Sad but very true im sure this phone could handle 4.3 but my money is on 4.1.2 being last update

Sent from the USS Enterprise using LT.Com Worf.
    05-28-2013 12:04 AM
    Sad but very true im sure this phone could handle 4.3 but my money is on 4.1.2 being last update

Welcome to the forums!
    Yeah it is sad. The S2 was a solid device despite a few hiccups here and there.

So one question: How is Worf anyway? Lol...
    05-28-2013 12:20 AM
    Welcome to the forums!
    Yeah it is sad. The S2 was a solid device despite a few hiccups here and there.

So one question: How is Worf anyway? Lol...
    Thank you and hes fine just brought me a keg

05-28-2013 12:36 AM
    Thank you and hes fine just brought me a keg

You might like this then...
    Attached Thumbnails Does anyone think we will see 4.2?-wtf.jpg  
    05-28-2013 01:12 AM
    You might like this then...

Golfdriver97 likes this.
    05-28-2013 01:39 AM
    The GS2 was quite possibly one of the most fragmented series of phones I have seen. The E4GT was the first GS2 released if I am not mistaken. They more or less all varied from each other in hardware (Sprint was different from AT&T and T-Mobile). AT&T had two versions of the GS2 (I777 and I727), and T-Mobile's version was very similar to the I727 with no LTE. Not to mention there are over 13 different versions of the GS2 internationally.

With the GS4 now out, and the GS3 on the path to a huge price drop, I will doubt many versions of the GS2 will see Android 4.2.2 officially. The ones that do, will likely be in my best guess, the I727 and the T989 in the US. I could be wrong, just a guess.
    05-28-2013 02:07 AM
    The GS2 was quite possibly one of the most fragmented series of phones I have seen. The E4GT was the first GS2 released if I am not mistaken. They more or less all varied from each other in hardware (Sprint was different from AT&T and T-Mobile). AT&T had two versions of the GS2 (I777 and I727), and T-Mobile's version was very similar to the I727 with no LTE. Not to mention there are over 13 different versions of the GS2 internationally.

With the GS4 now out, and the GS3 on the path to a huge price drop, I will doubt many versions of the GS2 will see Android 4.2.2 officially. The ones that do, will likely be in my best guess, the I727 and the T989 in the US. I could be wrong, just a guess.
    I think it was the I777 was first

05-28-2013 02:50 AM
    The 9100 or international version was the first.in Feb 2011. The E4GT was released Sep 2011 and was the first U.S. carrier specific version. Then the I777 was released on AT&T in Oct 2011. They were announced at the same time, but the phones are slightly sized different. They have different processors, different batteries and weigh slightly different.

There was/is a weird memory issue with the E4GT that can cause a permanent brick if you're not careful what you flash. I do not know if this is still an issue, but being hardware I would imagine it is.
    05-28-2013 08:25 AM
    The 9100 or international version was the first.in Feb 2011. The E4GT was released Sep 2011 and was the first U.S. carrier specific version. Then the I777 was released on AT&T in Oct 2011. They were announced at the same time, but the phones are slightly sized different. They have different processors, different batteries and weigh slightly different.

There was/is a weird memory issue with the E4GT that can cause a permanent brick if you're not careful what you flash. I do not know if this is still an issue, but being hardware I would imagine it is.
    I think it was more the case of people not being careful what they flashed or not fully realizing that they needed a specific ROM for their device. I have flashed many ROMs and recoveries and have had no problems.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums
    05-28-2013 11:02 AM
    That is totally possible. I am referring to the /data EMMC corruption bug with the E4GT. I don't know if that ever got fixed, or if it is fixable.
    05-28-2013 11:16 AM
    While Gingerbread was just OK and ICS was an outright disaster on the Sprint GS2 E4GT variant, I can say with strong conviction that with a clean GB27 install and a new OEM Samsung factory battery that the E4GT now performs almost identically to a GS3. My friend (with a GS3) and I did some extensive side by side performance, operation, and feature comparisons between the E4GT and the GS3 and found very few differences between the two... in addition to the fact that I still prefer the E4GT form factor.

The only reason for me to upgrade now is LTE. I've been testing it here in the Portland area for the past several weeks (using a TriFi device), and it's been working well. I'll move on to either the GS4 or HTC One when I'm confident in Sprint's LTE service and coverage. Until then, I'm very content with my newly revived E4GT!
    05-28-2013 02:53 PM
    1. How could you ever mention switching to an Iphone on an Android (which is top dog, I like to think of iOS as a communist OS) forum, especially one with great reputation.
    2. Drop the bricking idea all together. If you have no knowledge or faith in yourself with rooting, then no do not try it. It is almost impossible not to be able to recover from a brick. I have bricked many devices: PSP, Wii, and Epic 4g Touch. There is always a solution to a brick no matter what one may say.
    1. Because I'm not some crazed fanboy that doesn't diversify his interests in technology. I don't care who makes it as long as I find it useful, and I enjoy it. I am typing this reply on my PC while my 24" iMac sits to the left of me playing a movie with XBMC.

2. So you are ready to fund my new phone whenever it does brick in that bajillion in one chance that cannot be recovered? You say there's always a solution, I say there's always a chance that things won't go right.
    06-05-2013 10:47 PM