I think it might have bricked my phone (maybe?)!

I installed JB using the downloader tool from Samsung's site earlier this week. On Friday, just a few days later, it was dead. I went to check the time that morning, and the phone seemed frozen--nothing on screen, and the blue light was solid. So I reset it. And it kept resetting itself, over and over. So I tried to factory reset. Wouldn't turn on, just the solid blue light.
    The phone seemed fine...except for being sluggish and restarting itself and then saying the battery was low (not a battery issue, I checked). The night before it died I planned to do a factory reset, but obviously I didn't make it in time.
    I took the phone to a Sprint store and they replaced it for $50. I played dumb and asked if JB had been released for this phone yet; they said it had but that it wasn't good for the phone, that the hardware couldn't support the OS and that even Samsung apologized about this problem (?).

So for this new phone I don't think I'll try updating to JB, for fear of doing the same thing again. I plan on maybe getting a Nexus 4 and switching from Sprint to T-Mobile later this year anyways, so I guess I'll get to experience JB then. I'm curious as to whether this has happened to anyone else!
    05-19-2013 05:00 PM
    I think it might have bricked my phone (maybe?)!

I installed JB using the downloader tool from Samsung's site earlier this week. On Friday, just a few days later, it was dead. I went to check the time that morning, and the phone seemed frozen--nothing on screen, and the blue light was solid. So I reset it. And it kept resetting itself, over and over. So I tried to factory reset. Wouldn't turn on, just the solid blue light.
    The phone seemed fine...except for being sluggish and restarting itself and then saying the battery was low (not a battery issue, I checked). The night before it died I planned to do a factory reset, but obviously I didn't make it in time.
    I took the phone to a Sprint store and they replaced it for $50. I played dumb and asked if JB had been released for this phone yet; they said it had but that it wasn't good for the phone, that the hardware couldn't support the OS and that even Samsung apologized about this problem (?).

So for this new phone I don't think I'll try updating to JB, for fear of doing the same thing again. I plan on maybe getting a Nexus 4 and switching from Sprint to T-Mobile later this year anyways, so I guess I'll get to experience JB then. I'm curious as to whether this has happened to anyone else!
    Since you flashed the ROM yourself, did you wipe the cache, and user data before restarting? It could have been a bad flash, since it was just stuck in a boot loop. Reflashing a previous ROM would have been a good starting point.
    05-19-2013 09:15 PM
    Since you flashed the ROM yourself, did you wipe the cache, and user data before restarting? It could have been a bad flash, since it was just stuck in a boot loop. Reflashing a previous ROM would have been a good starting point.
    No.. >_> I know it was my own fault, though I'm don't really want to try again for fear of messing it up a second time.
    05-19-2013 10:55 PM
    No.. >_> I know it was my own fault, though I'm don't really want to try again for fear of messing it up a second time.
    Sorry, didn't mean to seem like a snot...Basic rules for ROMs...Don't flash international on US versions, ROM should match the model for what you are using, it's best to fully wipe the phone before flashing (yes it sucks to re download all apps, but it helps it run smoother), and if you can either make a backup, or have a stock ROM file on hand before flashing anything so that if there is a bad flash, which your situation sounded like, you can immediately fix it.

For my S2, I have five or six official ROMs as backups just in case. Check out rwilco12 . com. He is a contributer in XDA, and has numerous stock files for this, the S3, and the S4, along with a few other devices.
    05-19-2013 11:03 PM
    Sorry, didn't mean to seem like a snot...Basic rules for ROMs...Don't flash international on US versions, ROM should match the model for what you are using, it's best to fully wipe the phone before flashing (yes it sucks to re download all apps, but it helps it run smoother), and if you can either make a backup, or have a stock ROM file on hand before flashing anything so that if there is a bad flash, which your situation sounded like, you can immediately fix it.

For my S2, I have five or six official ROMs as backups just in case. Check out rwilco12 . com. He is a contributer in XDA, and has numerous stock files for this, the S3, and the S4, along with a few other devices.
    Oh, I didn't think you were being a snot! Thanks for the advice!
    05-21-2013 09:27 PM
    If you are close to a Sprint repair center they should be able to update the device for you at no charge. Let them do it for you and you should have no problems.

Otherwise, you can try yourself by using the ODIN method found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/epi...-unrooted.html

Good luck!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    05-22-2013 11:04 AM
    If you are close to a Sprint repair center they should be able to update the device for you at no charge. Let them do it for you and you should have no problems.

Otherwise, you can try yourself by using the ODIN method found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/epi...-unrooted.html

Good luck!
    So this reply is coming about a million years late, but anyway. When I took the phone in to be replaced at the Sprint repair store, the people working there said that Samsung had apparently said that it was bad for the phone for some reason, and wasn't recommended. >_> I got a new SII, but I haven't tried updating it again, though I've really been tempted too.
    10-31-2013 10:05 PM
    So this reply is coming about a million years late, but anyway. When I took the phone in to be replaced at the Sprint repair store, the people working there said that Samsung had apparently said that it was bad for the phone for some reason, and wasn't recommended. >_> I got a new SII, but I haven't tried updating it again, though I've really been tempted too.
    I have been stock 4.1 off an on for several months. Nothing has gone wrong/been bad. But my E4GT, is also not my daily driver, so I cannot give a good reply (not using cell services, data, etc). However, from a device used like a wifi tablet, 4.1 works fine.
    sakyh likes this.
    10-31-2013 10:50 PM
    If you can, take it into the store and have them update it. If anything goes wrong they'll replace it on the spot, hopefully.
    sakyh likes this.
    11-01-2013 03:27 PM
    If you can, take it into the store and have them update it. If anything goes wrong they'll replace it on the spot, hopefully.
    Yeah, I'm considering giving them a call first (before driving all the way out there).
    11-01-2013 10:02 PM