I bought a s2 like 5months ago, using the sprint system through boost mobile. service has been horrible in south central Pa and northern Md. Talked with sprint they said they are doing upgrades and going to a 800mhz system. the system is currently on and working. sprint told me that my phone would be obsolete when everything is said and done. Is there away to hack, root, jailbreak whatever you call it to get my phone to work on that system? since i am with boost paid way to much for this phone, and don't want to have to replace it already. I am very new to all this and cell phone ignorant.
    06-08-2013 11:00 PM
    I bought a s2 like 5months ago, using the sprint system through boost mobile. service has been horrible in south central Pa and northern Md. Talked with sprint they said they are doing upgrades and going to a 800mhz system. the system is currently on and working. sprint told me that my phone would be obsolete when everything is said and done. Is there away to hack, root, jailbreak whatever you call it to get my phone to work on that system? since i am with boost paid way to much for this phone, and don't want to have to replace it already. I am very new to all this and cell phone ignorant.

You won't be able to get 4G anymore. The S2 was built with a WiMax 4G antenna, not the same as LTE. You should still be able to get 3G just fine, as I believe not much is changing with that signal.
    srkmagnus likes this.
    06-08-2013 11:09 PM

I almost forgot...gaining root access or flashing (installing) a custom ROM will not change the antennas. Something like that would require physically rebuilding the device.
    srkmagnus likes this.
    06-08-2013 11:11 PM
    Yes, the 4g aspect will become obsolete. You'll still be able to make calls, use data on 3g and WiFi, etc.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-09-2013 09:50 AM
    4g Wi-Max will become obsolete, but not for a while yet. I believe Sprint has said not until 2015 at the earliest. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's the number I have heard being tossed around anyway. Point is, enjoy your phone. 3g will always work, and Wi-Max has been a crapshoot for working from day one.
    06-09-2013 12:55 PM
    I hate Sprint. Js... So basically we are screwed if we don't want to upgrade. That's why when my contact is up I'm leaving Sprint and never coming back and also gonna try my hardest to defer any and everyone from using Sprint.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-09-2013 09:41 PM
    I also live in So. Central PA and work in PA and MD...I have nothing more to add other than to confirm that Sprint coverage on 3g and Data have deteriorated dramatically in the last 2 months. I love what Sprint is trying to do, that is why I switched to them 20 months ago....however, the monthly $$ savings are no longer advantageous when I can't use Waze GPS bc data won't transmit or my call drops unexpectedly...presumeably due to tower upgrades, and my signal bounces from Sprint to roaming on VZW. It gets very frustrating. On the bright side, I do enjoy my re-encarnated E4gT...on GB27!
    06-10-2013 08:06 AM