Newbie to Rooting...need advice

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've been having some issues with my E4GT, which I have owned since April 2012. As always, the guys at Sprint advised me to do a factory reset. However, I'm looking to get into rooting. This is my first time, so of course I want to read up on it before I go bricking my phone...

>What Jelly Bean ROMS are you using? I need something easy to work with, since I am new at this.
> Looking for a ROM to get rid of the unnecessary apps that come on Sprint phones. I basically want a faster E4GT with no bloatware.
>Does rooting hamper the ability of future Android OS updates? ( but I'm sure we have seen the last of E4GT updates).

Could anyone point me in the right direction of a ROM I should try out?

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've been having some issues with my E4GT, which I have owned since April 2012. As always, the guys at Sprint advised me to do a factory reset. However, I'm looking to get into rooting. This is my first time, so of course I want to read up on it before I go bricking my phone...

>What Jelly Bean ROMS are you using? I need something easy to work with, since I am new at this.
> Looking for a ROM to get rid of the unnecessary apps that come on Sprint phones. I basically want a faster E4GT with no bloatware.
>Does rooting hamper the ability of future Android OS updates? ( but I'm sure we have seen the last of E4GT updates).

Could anyone point me in the right direction of a ROM I should try out?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forums.
I am using cyanogen mod on my s2. Rooting does hamper future updates, but the E4GT won't get any more.

And check out QBKing77 on YouTube. Look for the epic 4g touch.

Sent from a Carbon Galaxy S3.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Good on you for needing to know you have to read a ton. When you think you've read enough, go read more. Seriously. Gain an intimate understanding of what you're going to do to your device, what can go wrong and how to remedy that. Make sure you have everything you need first. If you follow the directions given, you'll be fine.
To your three points:
I can't speak to the first point, but over on XDA they should have a thread that lists all the JB roms available for your device.
Almost all roms will get rid of the Sprint garbage, and most will be deodexed as well.
If you root, you will NOT be able to take OTA updates unless you go back to bone stock. The good news is rom devs usually put out newer versions of their work faster than carriers and oems can make available the OTA. This is due to people leaking the updated roms before the OEMs and carriers will be able to push them out. If you have any questions let me know, I've done this sort of thing a few times.

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forums.
I am using cyanogen mod on my s2. Rooting does hamper future updates, but the E4GT won't get any more.

And check out QBKing77 on YouTube. Look for the epic 4g touch.

On the Cyanogen mod site, I didn't see the Epic 4G touch for Sprint in the devices list. Did you select one of the other GS2 devices?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
On the Cyanogen mod site, I didn't see the Epic 4G touch for Sprint in the devices list. Did you select one of the other GS2 devices?

No. It was a download from the xda developers site. Under the Sprint E4GT. It is not officially supported by Cyanogen, but the ROM that I have is for the device. It has some bugs, but it isn't my daily driver anyway.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Try to look for the pacman ROM its cyangonmod+paranoid android+More

Posted via Android Central App

That's paranoid+aokp+cyanogenmod. Really I advise against it, it has to much code for it to be stable enough for a near bug free release. However each dev writes code differently and that's just my two cents.

If you do flash PAC be aware that it won't include the respective closed source portions of its roms that make then what they are, until they are open sourced. Im pretty sure it doesn't even use paranoid preferences as moles and darkness wanted that to remain closed source as its key to the paranoid experience.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech