Is it possible to allocate more space for the /system partition?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
In trying to modify a couple of menu settings in /system/csc/feature.xml I've run into an error message that there's insufficient space to save the changes. Presumably changing a menu setting from "true" to "false" or vice-versa entails merely changing a single bit one way or the other, so shouldn't I be able to save the changes?

According to stock utilities and SD Maid my /system partition is indeed pegged (although I thought this was normal), and there's about 1.4GB space left in the device memory. The internal SD card is still almost 3/4 unused.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
In trying to modify a couple of menu settings in /system/csc/feature.xml I've run into an error message that there's insufficient space to save the changes. Presumably changing a menu setting from "true" to "false" or vice-versa entails merely changing a single bit one way or the other, so shouldn't I be able to save the changes?

According to stock utilities and SD Maid my /system partition is indeed pegged (although I thought this was normal), and there's about 1.4GB space left in the device memory. The internal SD card is still almost 3/4 unused.

My first response would have been no because I am under the impression that part of the memory partition can't be modified with just root access. (I may be wrong)

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
My first response would have been no because I am under the impression that part of the memory partition can't be modified with just root access. (I may be wrong)

Oh, too bad. Is there another kind of access that's higher than root, even? Am I correct in assuming that the /system partition resides on the internal SD card? This is what led me to think increasing the allocation might be feasible.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Alternatively, if I flash a leaner ROM, would that help? At the moment I have stock 4.1.2, rooted, with some of the Sprint bloatware removed or disabled.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Alternatively, if I flash a leaner ROM, would that help? At the moment I have stock 4.1.2, rooted, with some of the Sprint bloatware removed or disabled.

Sorry for the delayed response. A custom ROM that is non TouchWiz based will probably take up less space. Honestly I can't remember. It has been a while since I had a custom ROM for my S2.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18