Phone problems?!

airuonacloud

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Today around 6 PM, I was on my Sprint Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch in White and I was just listening to the soundtrack to the videogame "The Last of Us" (quite nerdy, you may say, but the composition was just amazing) while it was connected to my white wall charger and I fell asleep. The battery was at 16%. When I woke up, around 8:30 PM, I discovered that my phone was still at 16% despite still being connected to the charger.

I figured it might be my charger so I plugged it into my black charger downstairs. I decided to practice on my drums. After a quick song, I checked my phone and found it to be at 10%. I was baffled. It went down! The phone said it was charging, but the red light that always comes on when it is charging, wasn't on. It all went downhill from there.

This is what I tried to get it to work:
Used white charger, pressed the connector firmly into place. Set it back down. Light was on for about 3 seconds before disappearing. Screen still said it was charging.
Used black charger, didn't create any charge at all.
Tried my friend's android on white charger and worked fine.

(I came to the conclusion that it was something about my phone.)
I changed the battery back to its stock battery (I usually use a 3500 mAh extended battery from eBay because I thought its battery performance was quite horrible when I first got it)
At this point, my extended battery died. The stock battery, luckily, had a 70% juice left on it from a previous charge.

Connected it to the white charger. Nothing.
Connected it to the black charger. Nothing.

(Conclusion: It's probably my charger port) So, I am just frustrated for how my phone was working fine until I fell asleep and woke up to it acting up.

Any advice, questions, and comments is appreciated. Thanks :)
-airu

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You might try cleaning out the charging port with compressed air. Worth a try.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

airuonacloud

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
@mrsmumbles How would I go about doing that? I'm assuming I'd have to get creative? 0:

Also, would a shop like RadioShack be able to fix come thing like this or is this entirely up to the manufacturer's now?

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
@mrsmumbles How would I go about doing that? I'm assuming I'd have to get creative? 0:

Also, would a shop like RadioShack be able to fix come thing like this or is this entirely up to the manufacturer's now?

Oh it's easy, at Radio Shack buy a can of compressed air. All you do is attach the little straw (comes with) to the nozzle of the can and hold the can at the recommended distance and just spray out the USB port. It's handy to have a can of compressed air because you can use it on keyboards and other areas that are too small to get into and can't use water on. It's fun, too. :D

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

airuonacloud

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
@mrsmumbles
To cope with the problem, my sister let me use her phone to charge my battery. (Luckily we happen to have the same exact phone)

I don't think it was water damaged but perhaps water did play a part in this predicament. I fell asleep with my water bottle not fully closed. (Waking up I discovered it to be a little leaky but I never thought fluid had contact with my phone.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your advice. I will most certainly try it out. :)

I will also update along the way, if my battery holds out.

Happy holidays btw!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
@mrsmumbles
To cope with the problem, my sister let me use her phone to charge my battery. (Luckily we happen to have the same exact phone)

I don't think it was water damaged but perhaps water did play a part in this predicament. I fell asleep with my water bottle not fully closed. (Waking up I discovered it to be a little leaky but I never thought fluid had contact with my phone.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your advice. I will most certainly try it out. :)

I will also update along the way, if my battery holds out.

Happy holidays btw!

Great! I'm glad you were able to get it charged. It seems maybe it's just a problem with your charger or cable? So when you can, try to replace them. Happy holidays to you, too! :D

airuonacloud

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
@mrsmumbles

Update: 1:14 AM Dec 21.
Bad news and good news..

Bad news: :( I tried the compressed air and it still isn't charging normally.

Good news. I can get the phone to charge a little if i force the charger really hard up into the space. Still not an effective way to charge however as once I let go, it seems to lose contact with the phone.

Maybe I pushed something back somehow?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
@mrsmumbles

Update: 1:14 AM Dec 21.
Bad news and good news..

Bad news: :( I tried the compressed air and it still isn't charging normally.

Good news. I can get the phone to charge a little if i force the charger really hard up into the space. Still not an effective way to charge however as once I let go, it seems to lose contact with the phone.

Maybe I pushed something back somehow?

I doubt it's anything you did, but it does sound like the charger is at fault. If it worked with your sister's, then you probably just need to replace the charger and cable. :thumbup:;)

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

airuonacloud

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
@mrsmumbles

What I did was take the battery out of my phone and put it on her phone so her phone would receive the charge.

I have multiple working charger but my phone cannot connect to them unless I push the charger into the port really hard /:

When I push hard enough:
-My red light will go on
-the phone will vibrate once
-the screen will say its charging
-a little lightning bolt symbol appears inside my battery symbol.

But when I let go:
-the light stays for about 3-5 seconds and then disappears
-the lightning bolt disappears too
-the screen STILL says its charging
(I left it overnight on the cable to see if it was charging anyway and it didnt work) :(

What to do now...
I'm thinking I can go to my local RadioShack to see if they can do something about it.
or perhaps solder a replacement battery receiver thingy (but that requires opening up and disectting the phone.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, sad to say but it does sound like a physical problem with the charging connectors. :( But it sounds like you have it under control. If they can't do anything at Radio Shack I'd think you could get the phone replaced. Good luck! Let me know how the saga continues. :):thumbup::beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol