09-02-2015 06:41 PM
75 123
tools
    So... any Virgin Mobile US users had any luck with getting MMS to work with this ROM? I'm running it now(January 12th release) and mostly everything works great. I've been scouring various forums and I've tried half a dozen various "fixes" with no luck. This is my first custom ROM and this forum made flashing pretty easy. Thanks.
    04-05-2014 09:07 PM
    I had to install Textra sms from the play store. Then go into it's settings and manually configure the MMS settings.

mmsc: http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?
    mms proxy: 205.239.333.136
    mms port: 81

Make sure you set Textra as your default messaging app. That should solve your problems.
    WilliamAG likes this.
    04-05-2014 09:24 PM
    That did the trick. Funny, because I didn't even have to modify the settings. This is after stock Messager and then 8SMS with and without custom MMS settings. Next chance I'll have to reflash clean and try again. Just to make sure that it wasn't something that else that fixed it. Getting phantom notifications once and a while though. Not a deal breaker. Thanks.
    04-06-2014 09:24 PM
    In case my browser is paging the forum display differently--and I know this can happen with vBulletin, at least, can you tell me the approximate post count where I should start looking for the steps?

ETA: Are you referring to these instructions, in post #770 by capota in the XDA thread?

ETA: Added the hyperlinks from the XDA-Developers forum thread; not all that easy since I'm not yet permitted to post in dev threads there, meaning I can't just hit "quote" and get all the hyperlinks at a single click automatically. No express or implied warranty is given, including but not limited to subsequent changes or corrections in the other forum.
    I did these steps and got things working on my wife's S2 Epic 4g touch. However, when I did step 3 it now thinks it's a I9100 at bootup and displays a yellow exclamation point. It still boots though and cyanogenmod 11 seems to work great. I used the latest (march 25th i think) image and no issue with data and MMS seems to work. I am on Boost BTW.. CM11 is much faster than the boost jelly bean firmware. Just wondering if being incorrectly identified as a I9100 will be an issue?

BTW, my wife seems to miss some of the samsung tweaks. One of which is the notification of new messages on both the lock screen and overlaying the message icon. Is there anyway to get these on CM11?
    04-14-2014 08:45 PM
    I did these steps and got things working on my wife's S2 Epic 4g touch. However, when I did step 3 it now thinks it's a I9100 at bootup and displays a yellow exclamation point. It still boots though and cyanogenmod 11 seems to work great. I used the latest (march 25th i think) image and no issue with data and MMS seems to work. I am on Boost BTW.. CM11 is much faster than the boost jelly bean firmware. Just wondering if being incorrectly identified as a I9100 will be an issue?

BTW, my wife seems to miss some of the samsung tweaks. One of which is the notification of new messages on both the lock screen and overlaying the message icon. Is there anyway to get these on CM11?
    Good to hear you got everything working well. I also have the "Exclamation Point Triangle" on my Sprint E4GT... No Worries there... all works normal.

Since this ROM is based on Stock Android Kit-Kat, you no longer have Samsung's TouchWiz Launcher and GUI (which is a plus in my book, as I feel TouchWiz lacks a lot). My best recommendation is to try out some of the other custom launchers available. I've been extremely pleased with the capabilities and stability of Nova Launcher Prime, using it for 2+ years. If you want to stick to the stock Launcher, you will find some settings and tweaks for the Lock Screen, LED's, etc. under "Personalization" in the Setting Menu. There are a lot of customization options throughout that menu area, many more than we ever had on any of the Samsung TouchWiz ROMs for this device. --- Good Luck!
    04-15-2014 03:04 PM

If your wife has problems with the audio cutting out at low volume settings, you'll want to check out this other thread where this issue is almost entirely resolved.

drk65's helpful responses in the other thread once again demonstrate his value to this community.
    drk65 likes this.
    04-17-2014 07:15 PM
    Good to hear you got everything working well. I also have the "Exclamation Point Triangle" on my Sprint E4GT... No Worries there... all works normal.

Since this ROM is based on Stock Android Kit-Kat, you no longer have Samsung's TouchWiz Launcher and GUI (which is a plus in my book, as I feel TouchWiz lacks a lot). My best recommendation is to try out some of the other custom launchers available. I've been extremely pleased with the capabilities and stability of Nova Launcher Prime, using it for 2+ years. If you want to stick to the stock Launcher, you will find some settings and tweaks for the Lock Screen, LED's, etc. under "Personalization" in the Setting Menu. There are a lot of customization options throughout that menu area, many more than we ever had on any of the Samsung TouchWiz ROMs for this device. --- Good Luck!
    Since you've brought up the subject of launchers, I've never understood exactly what a launcher is and what it's supposed to do. How does one change from one launcher to another? Since launchers aren't ordinary apps, I'm puzzled.
    04-17-2014 07:20 PM
    Since you've brought up the subject of launchers, I've never understood exactly what a launcher is and what it's supposed to do. How does one change from one launcher to another? Since launchers aren't ordinary apps, I'm puzzled.
    Since they say "a picture's worth a thousand words"... A good demo video must be worth at least 10,000 words... So, here you go...

BTW... The "Gestures" capability is my favorite feature... especially the ability to swipe down anywhere on my Home screen to bring down the Notifications, rather than having to always stretch my thumb to the top of the display. Might sound trivial... but once you have it, you won't understand how you lived without it!
    04-18-2014 12:10 PM
    Thanks drk65 I will definitely be checking this out when I have time, probably later today.

BTW, is it the launcher that determines whether or how the app drawer can be sorted? Being able to sort it by frequency of use would almost completely solve the issue of disappearing home screen icons that many users have reported (I think that's a general KitKat issue).
    04-18-2014 12:27 PM
    Thanks drk65 BTW, is it the launcher that determines whether or how the app drawer can be sorted? Being able to sort it by frequency of use would almost completely solve the issue of disappearing home screen icons that many users have reported (I think that's a general KitKat issue).
    Since I prefer my App Drawer to presented alphabetically, I'm not sure if Nova will offer to sort by "Most Recent". I do know you have the ability to "Hide" any app in the App Drawer, as well as determining if you want the grid to scroll vertically or horizontally (plus you can dictate grid width, length, and infinite scroll, or even present in a list).

I suggest you download the Free version and Explore. What you will not have in that version is the gestures (which for me are key). With Prime version, it is so flexible that I rarely ever go into the App Drawer anymore anyway, since I have all my primary apps available only a gesture away or in the scroll-able dock at the bottom of the screen w/folders... Awesome!
    04-19-2014 02:03 PM
    I cannot seem to get step 10. Flashed CyanogenMod 11 - AndroidCyanogenM 4.4.1, download craps right at 60megs.
    05-10-2014 05:47 PM
    Kamakzie... It appears you may be trying to apply the December release version (4.4.1). In my description here, I highly recommended going with the January 12th build (4.4.2) which you can still find linked on the opening page of the XDA forum thread. There have been several releases after January 12th, but I still find that build to be most stable, continuing to run it as my daily driver today.
    Kamakzie likes this.
    05-16-2014 06:22 PM
    Kamakzie... It appears you may be trying to apply the December release version (4.4.1). In my description here, I highly recommended going with the January 12th build (4.4.2) which you can still find linked on the opening page of the XDA forum thread. There have been several releases after January 12th, but I still find that build to be most stable, continuing to run it as my daily driver today.
    Yup found it thanks
    drk65 likes this.
    05-17-2014 01:24 AM
    Be careful when upgrading to KitKat; it may bork your ability to write to your external SD card, if you have one.

I only found out over the past few days, when trying to clear another issue I was having on the device. In the course of that, I deleted most of my music files since it seemed to be a mediaserver issue, and I could always copy everything back from my PC when I was done troubleshooting.

Right?

Wrong. Apparently KitKat significantly cripples your ability to write to your SD card by any application other than those installed by Google, your carrier, or the OEM. There are workarounds as of yet, but the restriction is part of a greater strategy to improve the security of the OS, who can say how long they'll work?

The first hint that something was wrong appeared when I was trying to copy some files back from my PC to the external SD card. Repeatedly I would get an error message saying that in attempting to copy a file to the card, it couldn't be found in the source folder despite the fact that it was there. At that point the process would stall.

A popular one seems to be SDFix, so I'll give it a shot.
    06-09-2014 12:42 AM
    FTR I've tried out SDFix, which you can find in the Play Store, and it seems to be working now.
    06-10-2014 12:25 PM
    I thought 3rd-party ROMs like CM, which is what you must be using on this phone (right?), already have that SDFix mod in place. Maybe you're talking a different phone or (somehow) stock KitKat?

Re the CM 4.4.4 version, two things have me puzzled. The new menu button most of all, since there really isn't one. It just brings up the same screen that you see when long-pressing a blank area of the home screen. That can't be right.

The other question is the dock (strip of icons at the bottom). CM 4.3 offered the ability to have more than one, so you could swipe horizontally to see the others. That feature now seems to be missing.
    07-04-2014 12:08 AM
    how do root the stock 4.1.2 epich touch ? I can find it?
    07-07-2014 02:09 PM
    Ok, new here and custom ROMS. My SPH-D710vmu put back to ICS FI27. After downloading EL26 CWM, it starts to reboot with Galaxy S2 screen and yellow exclamation point. I can get into recovery but once there, the power button won't select anything. Tried folling the steps in order. But no luck. Any ideas?
    07-19-2014 11:33 PM
    Yes, you have to do the up-down-up-down-etc trick. Hard to explain, but essentially you use the volume buttons to travel back and forth between the top of the menu and the bottom. Do that several times and the power button will unlock.
    mxman420 likes this.
    07-19-2014 11:41 PM
    Thanks, that worked great. I got CM10.2 installed and running. Then I got greedy and tried to install the CM11 4.4.1 from the link on this thread. It gives me an error, E: Can't open /storage/sdcard1/VILLUMINATI-12072013-d710.zip
    (bad)
    installation aborted
    07-20-2014 12:25 AM
    I think your main issue is the version of CWM. In order to flash CM11, CWM has to be a recent version (6.0.4.x and higher), and I bet yours isn't that. So, put CM10.2 back on (if necessary--not sure if the CM11 install ever really started) and then update CWM (Mobile Odin would be one way, but there are tutorials around to update it however you do it).

Once you have that, then get the current version of Villuminati, which works quite well, not the very old one you mention:
    [ROM][D710/R760] CyanogenMod 11.0 - VILLUMIN… | Epic 4G Touch | XDA Forum
    07-20-2014 12:38 AM
    Great I'll try that. Tried going back to 10.2 with the EL26, then JB,all then CM10.2 but that aborted now, with (status 7) at the end. I knew I shouldn't have messed around with my skill level.
    07-20-2014 12:43 AM
    Here's what you could do:
    Get to FL24 (2nd link has live download links of one-click installers):

[LINK][ROM][ODIN][TAR][ICS] SPH-D710 FL24 (F… | Epic 4G Touch | XDA Forum

Rwilco12's Android Repository - Downloads

Don't be on anything later than that before going to CM, since CM requires an ICS modem (FL24 is the last version of ICS) and not the later JB.

Once you're on FL24, then update your CWM to the current build using Mobile Odin.

Once you've done that, then use the earlier xda link and follow the instructions to get to the latest Villuminati (along with Gapps) using your updated CWM.
    07-20-2014 01:04 AM
    Isn't FL26 still ics? And thanks, I'll try this. Can the S2 really handle running 4.4.4.?
    07-20-2014 10:22 AM
    Yes, surprisingly Google lowered the requirements for KitKat. They boast that it can run on 512MB devices. It remains to be seen if that's true for 5.0 coming late in the year.
    mxman420 likes this.
    07-20-2014 10:59 AM
75 123