New Galaxy S2 Epic 4g, Upgrade? if so how?

johnkeller

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
My wife just got the samsung epic 4g II and it is currently on gingerbread... All of the update threads I see are about going from ice cream sandwich to jelly bean. But how do I get out of gingerbread?

Also

Should she get out of gingerbread? Read some threads complaining of battery issues in jelly bean, Is ginger bread the best one for the phone? or maybe honeycomb?

thanks for your help!!!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome!!

I'm not sure where the official updates stopped for the E4GT. Go into your phone settings to check for any system updates. If it says it's up to date then you would need to root to get ICS or JB.

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife just got the samsung epic 4g II and it is currently on gingerbread... All of the update threads I see are about going from ice cream sandwich to jelly bean. But how do I get out of gingerbread?

Also

Should she get out of gingerbread? Read some threads complaining of battery issues in jelly bean, Is ginger bread the best one for the phone? or maybe honeycomb?

thanks for your help!!!

Forget Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, and even Jelly Bean. --- Want your E4GT to run as smoothly and quickly as possible... with great battery life? Check out this thread on upgrading your E4GT to the latest version of Kit-Kat. I've had my E4GT almost since launch day, 2.5 years ago... and it's never run better or longer than now. The only real feature you'll lose by going to Kit-Kat with this device is the availability of 4G WiMax, as it is no longer supported in Android. This is generally not a big issue for most users, as 4G WiMax coverage and access has been very limited and a battery killer when available. 3G works well and speeds have improved for me in many areas I travel throughout the country.

Check out the thread and don't be "scared off" having to "Root" and "Flash". If read the threads and follow the simple instructions closely, it's quite easy! Best of Luck!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...running-great-epic-4g-touch-yes-its-true.html

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks for the heads up man. I'll look into upgrading her phone to that soon. You havent noticed much of a battery change?

Yes, I have noticed a battery change... for the better! --- The reason Kit-Kat runs so well on this phone (as well as on the 1st generation Kindle Fire I flashed) is because it is optimized and designed not to be a memory, processor, and general resource hog, more so than previous versions of the Android OS. I'm not "technie" enough to explain why, but I believe the goal is to be able to deliver a faster, smoother operational experience, even on lower end devices. Since the E4GT is now a "lower end device", due to its vintage, processor, and memory, it's not surprising that Kit-Kat works so well on it.

If you don't want to get so adventurous with the Kit-Kat upgrade, I would still recommend skipping Ginger Bread and Ice Cream Sandwhich, and updating to Jelly Bean. While not as great as Kit-Kat, Jelly Bean runs quite well on this phone. It was also the last official release by Samsung and Sprint for this device. You can find the update file (no OTA) in Samsung's archives. However, if you want be a little bit adventurous and get a very easy taste of rooting and flashing, search this forum and XDA for the "Odin One-Click Stock Rooted GB27 ROM" for the Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch (D710). This is truly a super-simple method to upgraded to stock Jelly Bean and get Rooted all with literally One-Click. --- Good Luck!

johnkeller

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok... SO im still having issues... Her phone basedband is Eg31... I believe the person before her may have rooted it? but not sure how to check... im usually tech savy but knew to android stuff.. and the post you linked to "CyanogenMod 11.0 for kitkat" didn't explain how to install it at all.. I downloaded it but not sure what to do next.

Last edited:

johnkeller

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone help me??? I have tried researching on my own, but all links I come to end up being dead.

Phone Specs -
Model number - SPH-D710
Android verison - 2.3.4
Baseband - S:D710.10 S.EG31
Buildnumber - EG30

I am not sure if this phone has been rooted in the past or not. It was bought used.
I am willing to pay via paypal to someone who can help me get her phone to kitkat 4.4.2 via CyanogenMod 11.
Thanks for your time.

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok... SO im still having issues... Her phone basedband is Eg31... I believe the person before her may have rooted it? but not sure how to check... im usually tech savy but knew to android stuff.. and the post you linked to "CyanogenMod 11.0 for kitkat" didn't explain how to install it at all.. I downloaded it but not sure what to do next.

My original post provided the following instructions on where to look for excellent install instructions. Here it is again...

At this point, it's best that I provide you with a link to the applicable forum over on XDA, which provides all the necessary info and files. I strongly recommend reading through the opening pages and I found it best to follow the very good (direct and brief) instructions on the bottom portion of page 77 within the XDA forum thread.

[ROM] CyanogenMod 11.0 - VILLUMINATI - March 23, 2014 - xda-developers

Again... Go toward the bottom of Page 77 for the best instructions and LIVE/ACTIVE Links (I just confirmed they still work)!

johnkeller

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
My original post provided the following instructions on where to look for excellent install instructions. Here it is again...

At this point, it's best that I provide you with a link to the applicable forum over on XDA, which provides all the necessary info and files. I strongly recommend reading through the opening pages and I found it best to follow the very good (direct and brief) instructions on the bottom portion of page 77 within the XDA forum thread.

[ROM] CyanogenMod 11.0 - VILLUMINATI - March 23, 2014 - xda-developers

Again... Go toward the bottom of Page 77 for the best instructions and LIVE/ACTIVE Links (I just confirmed they still work)!

Thank you!! that's what I needed... clear instructions, the first page didn't give clear instructions. Appreciate your help man! Ill try this in a couple days and let you know how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci