View Poll Results: HTC EVO 3D vs Samsung Within (Galaxy S2)

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • HTC EVO 3D

52 27.23%
  • Samsung Within (Galaxy S2)

139 72.77%
07-06-2011 04:28 PM
53 123
tools
    I really wish we would at least get some information on the GS2. There are rumors galore. The biggest thing for me is the rumor that it won't have the same CPU, GPU as the overseas version, which is the one everyone is comparing to other phones. Come on Sprint, at least give us the specs, so we know if we should wait or not.
    06-11-2011 09:59 PM
    I really wish we would at least get some information on the GS2. There are rumors galore. The biggest thing for me is the rumor that it won't have the same CPU, GPU as the overseas version, which is the one everyone is comparing to other phones. Come on Sprint, at least give us the specs, so we know if we should wait or not.
    I'm pretty sure we will get the exynos version because the US is a major market
    06-12-2011 03:16 PM
    And now the Photon will be out..

Check out the Phone Comparison for these and a dozen others...

Are we sure that the Facebook sync will work on the Samsung Galaxay S II?
    Yes it will, Touchwiz has built in Facebook sync, just as HTC Sense does. Works almost exactly the same. Remember that Google blocked the native Facebook app because of security concerns.

I have been told by my sources at Sprint we will get the Exynos version.
    06-12-2011 04:17 PM
    I wouldnt right off the bat say battery will be better. We all know GSM phones usually last longer than their CDMA counter part. Cant wait for it to come out so we can finally have real world comparison. I may switch to this if I don't fall in love with the 3d.
    06-13-2011 04:54 PM
    With having a good size battery and a Super AMOLED +, it should be at least over a day of good use. My uncle's Fascinate can last him almost into 2 days with the stock battery and stock kernal/ROM on good use.
    06-14-2011 12:19 AM
    could having an all black background save more battery that a bright colorful one?
    06-14-2011 06:56 PM
    could having an all black background save more battery that a bright colorful one?
    Honestly with the type of screen this has it really doesn't matter. It has been shown that a less colorful background can result to better battery life, because it's not working that screen as hard to project color and the brightness. Still the difference is so small it really doesn't matter.
    sweetmonster457 likes this.
    06-14-2011 09:55 PM
    It's gonna have some difference because black is really an LED thats turned off. If you look in the Samsung Galaxy S forums they all like to use black theme or recommend it to save some battery life.

Another thing I like about amoled is it produces less heat so its great for intense gaming where you have to constantly touch the screen ie. modern combat 2.
    sweetmonster457 likes this.
    06-16-2011 01:56 PM
    The only thing keeping me somewhat interested in the 3D is that its supporting WiMax, I haven't heard anything about the GSII having WiMax and I'm starting to doubt it.
    06-16-2011 08:53 PM
    The only thing keeping me somewhat interested in the 3D is that its supporting WiMax, I haven't heard anything about the GSII having WiMax and I'm starting to doubt it.
    I am having the same issue! I have not heard if the GSII will be a 4G phone or not. Would you guys be able to sell me on the GSII considering it has 4G or maybe even the EVO 3D, I'm really trying to decide which one I want...
    06-16-2011 09:01 PM
    I have been playing with the 3d for a while, while its decent, its not what I expected in terms of performance.. Then again, thats partly do to me having a nexus.. Speed wise, the evo and nexus are very similar for most everyday use.. The 3d gave me a headache on the evo.. The qhd screen is leaps and bounds better than the og evo, but still its not an amoled display... Hopefully the dev community can get more performance out of the 3d. Aslong as they dont make an major changes to the gs2 for sprint, then its my next daily driver for sure.. However, if they do put a physical keyboard on the gs2, then consider it a no go for me,.. Also I dont want the tegra version, Bring on the Exynos chip!!
    06-16-2011 09:41 PM
    here is a benchmark of the 3d I did for whatever it matters.

06-16-2011 09:43 PM

Very low compared to the S2 indeed. I'm still stumped as to why though? Was it running the textures?
    06-16-2011 10:33 PM
    Very low compared to the S2 indeed. I'm still stumped as to why though? Was it running the textures?
    It's the display. It has to push 35% more pixels than the SGS2

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    06-16-2011 10:39 PM
    It's the display. It has to push 35% more pixels than the SGS2

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    It however would not drop the score that much though. I mean if it's anything similar to PC hardware and the way you can do benchmarks in different resolutions. No way just that is bringing it that far down from the GS2.
    06-16-2011 10:51 PM

well damn my nexus s 4g got more then then when I had it.
    06-17-2011 11:06 AM
    That seems very low, all of the reviews I read about the e3d had scroes inthe 2000s, still significantly less than sgs2 but not this low. I've also read about these programs having issues with the new snapdragon architecture and dual cores in general. As for the within, I'm pretty sure sprint will stick in a wimax radio like they did with the epic, this is a beast of a phone and they wouldn't let it be a non premium phone. I'm with the rest of you on not wanting a keyboard, there's just no reason for them any more, and this comes from a person on a blackberry tour 9630! I was set on the evo3d but after the reviews I've been reading i'm a bit dissappointed, would really like a release date, I'm really hoping the July 24th rumor will turn out but I'm highly sceptical, esp since it hasn't been a year that the epic has been out, tho since it hasn't sold very well maybe they'll try to get rid of it faster. I can't take this POS bbry so will prob go with the e3d for now and maybe try to sell it for the sgs2 once it comes out.
    06-17-2011 02:18 PM
    EVO 3D reviews are good but mixed with the majority of them saying it suffered from bad call quality. GS2 reviews for the non-US versions have all been great. The GS2 is looking better everyday to me now especially since it's 2D video recording has been officially to a max of 720p.
    HTC EVO 3D records HD video at 720p, not 1080p
    06-20-2011 09:15 AM
    Honestly with the type of screen this has it really doesn't matter. It has been shown that a less colorful background can result to better battery life, because it's not working that screen as hard to project color and the brightness. Still the difference is so small it really doesn't matter.
    It always cracks me up when someone has a detailed explanation for something and yet they are wrong...

Pure white is the most efficient! Screens don't have a light for each pixel! They have a single light and the pixels either turn a color to change the light being emitted though the pixel to display a color or they turn black to "bock" the light from shining through. This is why it has been such a challenge to create high contract ratios on digital displays. Of course screen brightness will make a difference as that is controlling the brightness of the light source...
    06-20-2011 02:49 PM
    It always cracks me up when someone has a detailed explanation for something and yet they are wrong...

Pure white is the most efficient! Screens don't have a light for each pixel! They have a single light and the pixels either turn a color to change the light being emitted though the pixel to display a color or they turn black to "bock" the light from shining through. This is why it has been such a challenge to create high contract ratios on digital displays. Of course screen brightness will make a difference as that is controlling the brightness of the light source...
    An AMOLED screen does not have a backlight, the pixels themselves produce the light. When an AMOLED screen is displaying black, those individual pixels are not producing any light and are effectivley not consuming any power. That is why the black levels on Samsung AMOLED screens are so good.
    06-20-2011 03:28 PM
    Sorry Robink, Oversteer is correct, amoled doesn't use a single backlight, each pixel is backlit, that's why the galaxy s phones have such great contrast ratio. checkout this 1st paragraph in the battery life section of engadgets galaxy s 2 review: Samsung Galaxy S II review -- Engadget
    06-20-2011 04:16 PM

Oh the irony...
    06-20-2011 08:53 PM
    EVO 3D reviews are good but mixed with the majority of them saying it suffered from bad call quality. GS2 reviews for the non-US versions have all been great. The GS2 is looking better everyday to me now especially since it's 2D video recording has been officially to a max of 720p.
    HTC EVO 3D records HD video at 720p, not 1080p
    Well HTC could always do an OTA to add 1080p video recording because really at it's base has a similar camera as the sensation and 5MP can very well handle 1080p video.
    06-20-2011 10:16 PM
    Well HTC could always do an OTA to add 1080p video recording because really at it's base has a similar camera as the sensation and 5MP can very well handle 1080p video.
    Both the Sensation and EVO 3D have completely different camera sensors. Sensation is running the Omnivision 8MP, while the EVO 3D is a single Omnivision 5MP in 2D, and a second 5MP 3D for dual mode 10MP in 3D.
    lbknight likes this.
    06-20-2011 10:38 PM
    Hey. When the Galaxy S2 goes to US carriers, I was wondering what do you guys think. The Evo 3d, or the Galaxy S2. Also, know as the Samsung within. Please help!
    I think you will get a more objective vote if you post this poll in the Sprint forum. People here are more likely to be biased in favor of the Galaxy while you would probably get a vote in favor of the 3D on its forum.
    06-26-2011 09:07 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD