HTC EVO 3D vs Samsung Galaxy S2 (Samsung Within)

HTC EVO 3D vs Samsung Within (Galaxy S2)

• Total voters

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
?? As far as the specs go, it's showing HSPA+

HSPA+ means nothing on the Sprint network, that is a GSM standard, and that is not even true 4G. For 4G to be documented in comparison to the 3VO, you would need to find confirmation of WiMax. If your go off carrier for the comparison, you would need to find LTE. Neither of these have been stated, to the best of my knowledge. Conversely, I remember one statement that the SGS2 would not have LTE on Verizon, which would m ake me doubt WiMax on Sprint, although this is an unsubstantiated rumor, just like almost all of our information on the US version of the SGS2.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
HSPA+ means nothing on the Sprint network, that is a GSM standard, and that is not even true 4G. For 4G to be documented in comparison to the 3VO, you would need to find confirmation of WiMax. If your go off carrier for the comparison, you would need to find LTE. Neither of these have been stated, to the best of my knowledge. Conversely, I remember one statement that the SGS2 would not have LTE on Verizon, which would m ake me doubt WiMax on Sprint, although this is an unsubstantiated rumor, just like almost all of our information on the US version of the SGS2.

The European Galaxy S II, like the original (European) Galaxy S, has no Wimax, no physical keyboard, and a center "Home" button. The American versions all had the four buttons along the bottom; Sprint added Wimax and the keyboard to their version, the Epic.

There is no reason to think Sprint won't do exactly the same thing for the Galaxy S II: add Wimax and a keyboard. This is because, as you point out, the other two flagship phones they've announced (Photon & EVO 3D) do not have keyboards, so it would fill an important gap in their phone lineup.

On the other hand, some people (like me) are anxious to see a Sprint 4g offering that hasn't been "beefed up". I wanted something the size of the Atrix, so I was disappointed to see it turn it into a tank for the Sprint version (Photon). I am betting they give this a keyboard, but hopefully the Hero 4G (HTC Kingdom) will be what I'm looking for. Probably I'll wait all summer and end up getting the Nexus S anyway.

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I really wish we would at least get some information on the GS2. There are rumors galore. The biggest thing for me is the rumor that it won't have the same CPU, GPU as the overseas version, which is the one everyone is comparing to other phones. Come on Sprint, at least give us the specs, so we know if we should wait or not.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I really wish we would at least get some information on the GS2. There are rumors galore. The biggest thing for me is the rumor that it won't have the same CPU, GPU as the overseas version, which is the one everyone is comparing to other phones. Come on Sprint, at least give us the specs, so we know if we should wait or not.

I'm pretty sure we will get the exynos version because the US is a major market

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
And now the Photon will be out..

Check out the Phone Comparison for these and a dozen others...

Are we sure that the Facebook sync will work on the Samsung Galaxay S II?

Yes it will, Touchwiz has built in Facebook sync, just as HTC Sense does. Works almost exactly the same. Remember that Google blocked the native Facebook app because of security concerns.

I have been told by my sources at Sprint we will get the Exynos version.

Last edited:

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt right off the bat say battery will be better. We all know GSM phones usually last longer than their CDMA counter part. Cant wait for it to come out so we can finally have real world comparison. I may switch to this if I don't fall in love with the 3d.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
With having a good size battery and a Super AMOLED +, it should be at least over a day of good use. My uncle's Fascinate can last him almost into 2 days with the stock battery and stock kernal/ROM on good use.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
could having an all black background save more battery that a bright colorful one?

Honestly with the type of screen this has it really doesn't matter. It has been shown that a less colorful background can result to better battery life, because it's not working that screen as hard to project color and the brightness. Still the difference is so small it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: sweetmonster457

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
could having an all black background save more battery that a bright colorful one?

It's gonna have some difference because black is really an LED thats turned off. If you look in the Samsung Galaxy S forums they all like to use black theme or recommend it to save some battery life.

Another thing I like about amoled is it produces less heat so its great for intense gaming where you have to constantly touch the screen ie. modern combat 2.

Reactions: sweetmonster457

Faint

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
The only thing keeping me somewhat interested in the 3D is that its supporting WiMax, I haven't heard anything about the GSII having WiMax and I'm starting to doubt it.

dcraig

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
The only thing keeping me somewhat interested in the 3D is that its supporting WiMax, I haven't heard anything about the GSII having WiMax and I'm starting to doubt it.

I am having the same issue! I have not heard if the GSII will be a 4G phone or not. Would you guys be able to sell me on the GSII considering it has 4G or maybe even the EVO 3D, I'm really trying to decide which one I want...

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have been playing with the 3d for a while, while its decent, its not what I expected in terms of performance.. Then again, thats partly do to me having a nexus.. Speed wise, the evo and nexus are very similar for most everyday use.. The 3d gave me a headache on the evo.. The qhd screen is leaps and bounds better than the og evo, but still its not an amoled display... Hopefully the dev community can get more performance out of the 3d. Aslong as they dont make an major changes to the gs2 for sprint, then its my next daily driver for sure.. However, if they do put a physical keyboard on the gs2, then consider it a no go for me,.. Also I dont want the tegra version, Bring on the Exynos chip!!

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
here is a benchmark of the 3d I did for whatever it matters.

evo3dbench.jpg

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
It's the display. It has to push 35% more pixels than the SGS2

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

It however would not drop the score that much though. I mean if it's anything similar to PC hardware and the way you can do benchmarks in different resolutions. No way just that is bringing it that far down from the GS2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan