Why my EVO 3D is being returned

Jarowh

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, that sucks. After so much anticipation less than a week with my Evo 3D, it is on the way back to Sprint. I was very much looking forward to this device and was totally bummed when I realized it was a "dud". Using the Evo 4G for a year spoiled me, the device really worked well. Right out of the box (with its shiny Froyo OS on it) the Evo wowed me with it's size and speed. I thought the 3D would be double the phone the 4G was and it simply is not. These are the reasons I am sending it back:

Battery: By far the biggest gripe is the battery. While people claim it is better than the 4G, I can assure you mine was not. I thought I had something wrong with my device but, a tech at the store said "getting close to 10 hours on a charge is about right". To me, that is terrible. My work day, from leaving home to arriving home, is exactly 11 hours. If a phone can not get me through my day it is worthless to me.

Inconsistent performance: Blindingly fast. Oddly slow. This is how I would surmise the performance on the 3D. Playing simple games like Angry Birds or Bubble Pop work wonderfully. Smooth as butter. Opening people (contacts) ? Delay. Scrolling through phonebook or market? Delay. Unlocking the phone? Sometimes a random delay. Flicking through the home screen after using some apps. Another delay. Live wallpaper and flick on the home screen (to get the neat carousel effect). Delay. It just doesn't make much sense. I still don't get how such a top flight phone has such inconsistent performance.

Camera: Awful. Abysmal quality. 2D pictures look like they came from a phone from 2 years ago. The clarity and detail are terrible. The only time I got a decent picture was when I was perfectly still taking a shot of an inanimate object. I could care less about 3D (I own an awesome LED 3D TV and don't have the glasses) so I can't give detail on how that worked. I also know this is a "phone not a camera" but, I am the only one who determines how I should use my phone. While I have a nice camera, it's not always by my side. My phone is always in my pocket. Is it that unreasonable to have a phone that can provide a decent photo.

Reception: All over the place. In the same position on my desk it went from full to no bars and everything in between. My old Evo and my HTC Arrive both get a constant three or four bars worth of reception. Plus data speeds are less than stellar (all though Sprint seems to have slowed down all together trhe past few weeks).

So, that's my story. Phone is enroute back to Sprint and I will wait patiently on the sideline. I am not a fanboy by any means. I use whatever I feel like at the moment. I think that people look at things like this subjectively and it's hard to scrub that to form an educated opinion. In my mind, this is not a great successor to the Evo and certainly does not feel like a generation past it. My wifes Nexus S4G runs everything at least as smooth and gets awesome battery life. Now, the search for the next device goes on for me.

If you have any questions on the device, I will do my best to answer.

Reactions: sunshinebrat101

Jarowh

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the intent was to post it here. There seems to be a lot of comparison and people who are on the fence between the two devices. I figured if I posted it here, someone who is in that very position may get some advice (ie wait for the GSII).

Besides, if I were to post this in the 3D forum I'd have all the children going wild and saying "lolz my phones perfect yours is broken" or "its a phone you're expecting too much". I just wanted to share my thoughts to those who are in similar circumstances. If a mod feels this is appropriate over there, then they have my blessing to transport it wherever they'd like.

Reactions: Weaser999

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
OP would've been instantly flamed to ashes by HTC Fanboys had he posted in Evo 3D forum.

Yeah he would, but that is the belly of the beast. Any device has fanboys... The one thing I do know, and just from my testing the EVO 3D was nothing special at all. Poor camera, 3D is a headache, call quality is under par, and had poor reception. Then they have the benchmarks, which for me is a selling point. Reason? Well this shows the true performance of the device. Of course if your using a good benchmark. I don't usually go by Quadrant. As for the others the EVO 3D scored a lot of times lower then the Nexus S, which to me is very disappointing. Personally if i'm somebody rating Sprint's best device. I would give my nod to the Nexus S. It's a better device, and benchmarks prove it is. Which to me is odd, considering it's a dual-core vs single-core.

Yet it doesn't surprise me a ton, only because in the PC world. When the first dual-cores came out, a lot of single-cores still did better in performance. So it could be a similar thing. The big question everyone asks on this board. Should I wait for GS2? The answer is yes, it's easily the most powerful device on the market and will contend at the top at least until early next year. It's that powerful.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The OP described my opinion about my E3d to the point. But I want to give it a few more week and see if HTC will make any improvements. Otherwise SGS2 it is for me. And he is right not to post it on the HTC forum. They will literally chew your head off!

Jarowh

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I posted some thoughts in a thread there concerning performance issues and people did not like it. I knew there would be other people in a similar circumstance to me who contemplated the 3D or wait for the GSII. My goal was more intelligent discussion instead of my future children having their lives threatened. Main reason I posted here.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I posted some thoughts in a thread there concerning performance issues and people did not like it. I knew there would be other people in a similar circumstance to me who contemplated the 3D or wait for the GSII. My goal was more intelligent discussion instead of my future children having their lives threatened. Main reason I posted here.

Anyone in our shoes I'm sure will be visiting here quite often enough and will see this. Anyhow I'm hoping SGS2 will be released soon. From the videos and reviews I've seen, it seems to be top notch and I hope Sprints version will be the same. As long as it works as it advertised from the getgo ie, camera, smoothness, features etc, then I'm not too concern if it doesn't get much update.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The SGS2 does appear to be worth waiting for. There are some HTC die-hards tho. One of my best friends is one of them. Still, you can't deny the sheer awesomeness that Samsung seems to have created. Every review I've read has to dig pretty deep to find faults with the device. Even reviewers who don't care for TouchWiz say the new version is more than tolerable. The way I see it ... it's just a skin! If you don't like it install Launcher Pro or something. From what I've seen in videos, it doesn't seem bad to me.

Come late July (hopefully if the rumors hold) I will either own a SGS2 or a EVO 3D. But only after I've held both in my hand. Build quality and how it "feels" is important to me in a phone. I'm heavily leaning towards the SGS2 though. This will be my first Android device and I'm looking forward to it. Just in the nick of time too, as I was seriously considering going to iOS.

StaggerLee#AC

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I am exactly where you all are. My wife just bought an EVO-3D and while I am tempted to grab another I fell upon some amazing reviews of the S2 so I'm waiting to see. I just hope my day one Palm Pre lasts until then.

Jarowh

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it will be worth the wait. I mean, a couple of weeks with our slightly less super phones won't kill us. Until we see some video that makes us want to punch them in the face, that is ;)

chezbi

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
i was actually really eager to get the evo 3d, but after playing with it and looking at some of the reviews, i realized the 3d wasnt all that great and the actual 3d feature wasnt that important and the OG evo could basically do everything the new one can without the screen resolution... so im deciding to wait for the sgs2 on sprint...i really hope the rumors play out cuz im on a crappy nextel blackberry 8350i until then since my palm pre's touchscreen broke... :(

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I got my evo3d a day before the official release I liked it at first but then I decided to call Sprint and ask for a return kit to send it back then turn my evo4g back on for the following reasons:
1. The screen wasn't as responsive as my og EVO.
2. The speaker was the worst I ever had. Not only was the volume super low but it wasn't even clear.
3. The camera was terrible.
4. It feels funny in my hand... The camera button grinds against my palm.
5. The signal kept dropping out and I dropped about 20 calls over 2 days in an area where my evo4g had no signal issues.
6. It's too narrow so it was hard to type.
7. The 3d stuff was cool but not all that amazing. Plus I don't have a 3d tv or monitor so all I could do is look at it my phone if you try to send the pics to someone else of just changes to 2d.

I am going to wait for the galaxy s2 aka within to come to Sprint.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I will get the gs2 when it comes to sprint aswell, but those expecting huge proformance gains over the evo3d may be disappointed.. They are both quick phones, but I dont ecpect one to blow the other out of the water. Each phone has its strengths and weaknesses.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante