[SOLVED] help needed, replaced build.prop & phone won't start up

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, yes it seems I made a mistake and I'm new to this, so apologies. But I tried going in and changing build.prop (specifically ro.camera.sound.forced=0 to get the camera to go quiet when the phone was set to silent) and when I rewrote the file into the system, I ended up with a phone that won't go past the 'Samsung Galaxy SIII' screen into the Sprint boot. I searched around and found that my SBF might be trashed, but at this point I'm unsure as to how to get it reloaded properly.
I am able to get into the recovery (up volume, home button, power button), and may have made a further mistake by formatting the /system. Unfortunately, I didn't make a backup using that utility until AFTER the build.prop problem, so even though I tried to recover using the recovery I made (after the problem), it is understandably not working.

Am I totally screwed or is there a way to get me back? Any help is greatly appreciated.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: help needed, replaced build.prop and phone won't start up now

You did all that, and you're asking for help in this forum?! :O If you can get into recovery, you're not screwed, but I would probably load and flash a new rom if I were you. Never, ever, mess with system files without a good nandroid.

Have you tried asking at XDA Forums?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

There is one option.... If you can still get into CWM, you have a chance at getting it back...

If someone who is currently rooted and hasn't done anything to their device can make a Nandroid Backup, then provide you with that Nandroid Backup you would have a chance at restoring that and getting your device back to working form.

Note: Anyone who provides a Nandroid would have to realize it would contain possible personal/private information since it is after all a "mirror image" of your device.. Things like emails, contacts, etc.. which could be erased....

This is something that could be worked out privately among parties if this option arises...

Just a thought.... Thanks to a friend "Shane" for suggesting the option.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiero

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

There is one option.... If you can still get into CWM, you have a chance at getting it back...

If someone who is currently rooted and hasn't done anything to their device can make a Nandroid Backup, then provide you with that Nandroid Backup you would have a chance at restoring that and getting your device back to working form.

Note: Anyone who provides a Nandroid would have to realize it would contain possible personal/private information since it is after all a "mirror image" of your device.. Things like emails, contacts, etc.. which could be erased....

This is something that could be worked out privately among parties if this option arises...

Just a thought.... Thanks to a friend "Shane" for suggesting the option.

They could also do this:

1. Nandroid their current setup
  2. FACTORY RESET/CACHE/DALVIK WIPE
  3. Nandroid that
  4. Restore the first nandroid
  5. Share the second nandroid

To clarify:

Have the rooted person make a nandroid of their current setup. This will be restored and will ensure that this person--we'll call them the Good Samaritan--does not risk data loss or having their data floating about out there (not saying you would do that, but to ease their mind :)). After this nandroid, the Good Samaritan would then completely wipe the device--factory reset (data), cache, and dalvik cache. This removes any and all personal information, although it does not wipe out the SDcard. Thus, I would suggest that the Samaritan moves any personal stuff from the SDcard prior to this wipe (you can simply move it back after). After this complete wipe, the Good Samaritan would make a nandroid of the phone in this state, thus things like call logs, SMS, emails would all be gone. Once the backup is completed the GS could restore the first nandroid they made and share the second, clean one.

In theory, the OP should be able to slide the nandroid into their SDcard and restore from it as usual, just as Paul said. This will start them off with a clean slate.

And again, OP, please be certain to backup at any and all opportunities :).

Last edited:
Reactions: hiero

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Excellent idea dmmarck... That would work.. The one providing the Nandroid can give a clean "factory stock" Nandroid and still have their personal Nandroid with all their data to restore back to afterwards.....

The recipient then can take the "factory reset/stock" Nandroid and restore that giving them in theory a clean copy to restore....

Give this Advisor a cigar :)

Reactions: dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I'll take only legal cigars, thank you :).

I added a bit of an explanation in case I wasn't clear. In theory this should be straightforward, although it may take 30-45 minutes because nandroiding is a slow process.

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

great! but then the question stands... anyone out there willing to be a good Samaritan for me? Seriously, this would definitely solidify the idea that one of the great things that I was walking away from when I switched to android, was the amazing community that we had in the webOS world, and that I made a good decision to come here and find a great community as well!

Thank you to dmmarck and paul627g for making me feel welcome and not totally stupid for my early mistake!

pookieprancer, thanks as well, i think a custom ROM will be the last ditch effort for the time being as I haven't the time to research what would be my pick (although if that ends up being my way forward, I'll have to make time)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

great! but then the question stands... anyone out there willing to be a good Samaritan for me? Seriously, this would definitely solidify the idea that one of the great things that I was walking away from when I switched to android, was the amazing community that we had in the webOS world, and that I made a good decision to come here and find a great community as well!

Thank you to dmmarck and paul627g for making me feel welcome and not totally stupid for my early mistake!

pookieprancer, thanks as well, i think a custom ROM will be the last ditch effort for the time being as I haven't the time to research what would be my pick (although if that ends up being my way forward, I'll have to make time)

In theory, a custom rom would be able to hold you over--and it would be something that you could immediately flash. You can always go back once a nandroid surfaces :).

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

In theory, a custom rom would be able to hold you over--and it would be something that you could immediately flash. You can always go back once a nandroid surfaces :).

Looks like the custom ROM situation is a little sparse since we just got rooted a couple days ago... looks like this is going to be the waiting game...

Any kind souls out there? :D

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Looks like the custom ROM situation is a little sparse since we just got rooted a couple days ago... looks like this is going to be the waiting game...

Any kind souls out there? :D

lol good luck :)

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

to anyone reading this, I will be happy to repay the kindness with
1. a batch of homemade cookies delivered straight to your door
2. a nice call to your mama about what a wonderful child she produced and how much you brighten the world around you. ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If I had my SGSIII already I would have out uploaded to my file server and help you out but...

No SGSIII right now for me :(

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

Let me know if that doesn't work (which it looks like it should), and I'll make you a fresh Nandroid backup tomorrow when I get off of work!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Check this out...

[HOW TO] Unbrick your phone from flashing a gsm boot image - xda-developers

Developer says that this will flash a stock boot image to your device; this could be your ticket!

I hope, but let it be known this is stated as being for the GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) version even though its in the Sprint SGSIII forums.

Plus you said this started from changing your build.prop, so this may not fix that issue...

At this point, its up to you on taking further risk.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

I hope, but let it be known this is stated as being for the GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) version even though its in the Sprint SGSIII forums.

Plus you said this started from changing your build.prop, so this may not fix that issue...

At this point, its up to you on taking further risk.

I think that it means that if someone accidently tried to flashed GSM on a Sprint device by mistake...but that is an excellent point. Do your homework first!

Edit: I just downloaded the file...it says that it's for Sprint!

Reactions: hiero and dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think that it means that if someone accidently tried to flashed GSM on a Sprint device by mistake...but that is an excellent point. Do your homework first!

Edit: I just downloaded the file...it says that it's for Sprint!

I think it is worth a shot. I'd read through that thread first though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zharris24

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I have the exact same issue and tried to load the boot.img from the sprint xda forum. However, now it just freezes on the "Samsung Galaxy SIII" loading screen. Is there anyway that someone can send me a link to the stock firmware or send me a nandroid backup as well?

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Let me know if that doesn't work (which it looks like it should), and I'll make you a fresh Nandroid backup tomorrow when I get off of work!

Thanks for looking out UL! unfortunately, that only fixes the bootloader it looks like (I hope I'm getting the terminology correct here). I had found that link earlier and actually went ahead and tried it, unfortunately, it helps you get the phone to boot, but not fix the ROM problems that I incurred by trying to mess with build.prop (boy am I learning some lessons fast).

If you can nandroid for me tomorrow that would be fantastic UL! Please keep me updated and for the rest of the forum, I would be happy to provide that stock backup to anyone who needs it (with the ok from the original owner of course).

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I have the exact same issue and tried to load the boot.img from the sprint xda forum. However, now it just freezes on the "Samsung Galaxy SIII" loading screen. Is there anyway that someone can send me a link to the stock firmware or send me a nandroid backup as well?

yup, that's the behavior I've got going on too

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000