Trying to root and cant get into ClockworkMod Recovery

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok bad news. I tried to boot into CWM recovery but it went to Android system recovery instead:'( Do I have to flash CWM and do a battery pull every time now to get to CWM?

Edit: I just went through the root process again. Everything went smoothly and I was rooted. I tried to boot into CWM and it reverts back to Android System Recovery as well as lose root access. Is there a way to make this root permanent?

Last edited:

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok bad news. I tried to boot into CWM recovery but it went to Android system recovery instead:'( Do I have to flash CWM and do a battery pull every time now to get to CWM?

Download the root.zip file first and put it on your SD card (found here...look about halfway down the page for the word WARNING in red text):

Cyangenmod's Team Epic: CWM Recovery on all SGS3 LTE Variants

Reflash CWM via Odin, but leave Auto Reboot unchecked. Do a battery pull, then enter CWM as normal and flash that Root.zip file. That will fix it so that CWM is the default recovery, in addition to root. :cool:

Reactions: footballbanker

stealthtank91

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! iv been wondering what the problem was when I was trying to flash CWMR. I didnt realize you had to bypass rebooting in order for it to stick. :)

Hexatic

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
---------------------TO FIX THE DEFAULT RECOVERY PROBLEM-------------------
1.)UNCHECK THE "AUTO REBOOT AND F.RESET" from ODIN. [most important step]

2.) after using ODIN in downloading mode to install your .tar or .md5 or .smd FILES.

3.) after your phone shows the completion of job and "PASS" shows up on you ODIN , take out the battery in your phone and re-insert it.

4.)PRESS "VOLUP+HOME+POWER" TO ENTER THE RECOVERY MODE.

5.) YOULL END UP SEEING CWM ON YOUR PHONE AND IT WILL BE A REALLY HAPPY MOMENT,

6.) CHOOSE "ZIP FROM SDCARD" OPTION AND INSTALL YOUR SUPERUSER IN THE MEM CARD WHICH YOU COPIED BEFORE STEP 1.

thank you. :) :cool: