Trying to root and cant get into ClockworkMod Recovery

R2D2 631

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Trying to root and cant get into ClockworkMod Recovery . Im using zedomax steps and I get to step 11 and im always in Android System Recovery and not in ClockworkMod Recovery .. I thought im following the directions , but cant figure out why this is happening . Can someone please let me know what im doing wrong. Thanxs

Reactions: footballbanker

R2D2 631

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I followed qbking77's video very carefully and pretty much straight forward and still having the same problem where im in Androids system recovery and not ClockworkMod Recovery . Its driving me crazzzzzy..I cant do nothing to my phone untill I get root..If anyone ran into this situation and knows how to fix , please help.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Trying to root and cant get into ClockworkMod Recovery . Im using zedomax steps and I get to step 11 and im always in Android System Recovery and not in ClockworkMod Recovery .. I thought im following the directions , but cant figure out why this is happening . Can someone please let me know what im doing wrong. Thanxs

Which version of cwm are you installing there were bugs in the earlier versions and cwm wasn't sticking. Version 4 was supposed to have fixed it.

Edit : not fixed....

Last edited:

Scooba

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Uncheck auto-reboot and when finished pull the battery to fully shut down. then try to boot in cwm

http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/cwm-recovery-on-all-sgs3-lte-variants.html You can also follow this guide

This is what is happening per the Cyangenmod team
WARNING: Do not boot into Samsung's ROM without first applying our Root .zip. Samsung's OTA updates install /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p, which cause Samsung's ROM to replace the recovery image you had just flashed with the stock recovery. Our Root .zip removes these files, thus preserving your custom recovery. Follow the directions below to boot directly into CWM recovery.

Disturbd1

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Same boat here. I've followed the method for rooting properly. It worked the first time, but then I realized I couldn't apply the OTA update, so followed the unroot process outlined here:
Just an fyi for anyone who's rooted and had to go through the unroot process after being notified of the update.

I saw the update notification, then unrooted and reloaded the stock recovery like it says to on CM's website. But when I rebooted, the notification was gone and when I went in to manually check that I had the latest LF9 update, it wasn't there and it kept saying I was up to date. I knew this wasn't the case because LF9 was not what I had in the 'about device'.

In any case, once I rebooted into the stock recovery, there was an option to update from internal cache and lo and behold, there was the update sitting in there. I chose it, it updated fine and now I'm going back and rooting the phone.

Hope that helps someone!

Now it won't successfully apply CWM recovery. Tried 3 times now. The count says 3, does it need to be reset? If not, should I try a newer rev of CWM? I was using (I believe) 3.

Disturbd1

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Uncheck auto-reboot and when finished pull the battery to fully shut down. then try to boot in cwm

Cyangenmod's Team Epic: CWM Recovery on all SGS3 LTE Variants You can also follow this guide

This is what is happening per the Cyangenmod team
WARNING: Do not boot into Samsung's ROM without first applying our Root .zip. Samsung's OTA updates install /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p, which cause Samsung's ROM to replace the recovery image you had just flashed with the stock recovery. Our Root .zip removes these files, thus preserving your custom recovery. Follow the directions below to boot directly into CWM recovery.

Followed this, it worked to get into CWM recovery for me. Just make sure to uncheck auto-reboot in Odin before flashing. Flashing ROM from XDA as we speak.

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
a couple of other things to note:

[*] When downloading, make sure to check the Dev's md5 checksum against your CWM download, the sum must match or you'll have problems. Same w/ your ODIN download: by the time you receive it on your end, it may be a 10kb smaller file than the actual original (based on a number of reasons)......so it will simply NOT work.

[*] Once you are ready to ODIN your CWM, make sure the file ends in 'tar.md5' VERSUS 'tar.md5.rcdownloader' or else 'tar.md5 (1)' et cetera.............look inside the pda slot in ODIN to make sure.

[*] Make sure your device is being detected by your PC prior to loading anything........connect w/ your mUSB cable + see that the device is detected inside 'MyComputer' as an external media device........if you can not see your external device, then go back to reloading your SGSIII drivers ( Device Manager.)

[*] If the most current version of ODIN (v3.04) does not work w/ your PC, run v1.85 OR ELSE v 1.61, often certain versions of ODIN are sensitive to certain versions of Windows (yup, just like we are Ha!)

good luck, hope this helps.

Reactions: R2D2 631

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
a couple of other things to note:

[*] When downloading, make sure to check the Dev's md5 checksum against your CWM download, the sum must match or you'll have problems. Same w/ your ODIN download: by the time you receive it on your end, it may be a 10kb smaller file than the actual original (based on a number of reasons)......so it will simply NOT work.

[*] Once you are ready to ODIN your CWM, make sure the file ends in 'tar.md5' VERSUS 'tar.md5.rcdownloader' or else 'tar.md5 (1)' et cetera.............look inside the pda slot in ODIN to make sure.

[*] Make sure your device is being detected by your PC prior to loading anything........connect w/ your mUSB cable + see that the device is detected inside 'MyComputer' as an external media device........if you can not see your external device, then go back to reloading your SGSIII drivers ( Device Manager.)

[*] If the most current version of ODIN (v3.04) does not work w/ your PC, run v1.85 OR ELSE v 1.61, often certain versions of ODIN are sensitive to certain versions of Windows (yup, just like we are Ha!)

good luck, hope this helps.

Actually the most current Odin is Odin3.07 Everything else you said I agree with.

Last edited:

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
There is a step that has changes since the first time I tried doing this... I didnt catch it right away....but now after using ODEN to flash CWM, you must pull the battery... then you can boot into CWM and flash root.

if you skip this step and let the OS boot after the ODEN flash...it will undo and reset you to stock recovery.

re-read the directions...they have changed/been updated

Reactions: R2D2 631

R2D2 631

May 16, 2010
Visit site
There is a step that has changes since the first time I tried doing this... I didnt catch it right away....but now after using ODEN to flash CWM, you must pull the battery... then you can boot into CWM and flash root.

if you skip this step and let the OS boot after the ODEN flash...it will undo and reset you to stock recovery.

re-read the directions...they have changed/been updated

Thats exactly what i needed to do ..thanxs

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm having problems too!! I get into recovery and try to flash cwm superuser it gives me a verification fail. Has anyone run into This problem if so what's the fix?

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm having problems too!! I get into recovery and try to flash cwm superuser it gives me a verification fail. Has anyone run into This problem if so what's the fix?

CWMv5.5.0.4 is the clockworkMod version that should be showing when you boot your recovery, if it doesn't show 5.5.0.4 then you are still on stock recovery.........back to ODIN.

Bad download, likely.........try + re-download superuser zip file, it's 1,283kb (1.25mb) + should look something like this:

TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v4.zip
md5sum 86f5b495d9c1cb60ecffc1da7712d958
Changelog
v4 Now prevents the stock recovery from being restored by the ROM.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I uncheck auto-reboot. I start the flash. I get green PASS. Now do i immediately unplug the USB and do a battery pull? The screen on my phone shows the green droid and it says downloading... in white and do not turn off agent !! in green below that. Is it safe to unplug USB and do a battery pull?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I uncheck auto-reboot. I start the flash. I get green PASS. Now do i immediately unplug the USB and do a battery pull? The screen on my phone shows the green droid and it says downloading... in white and do not turn off agent !! in green below that. Is it safe to unplug USB and do a battery pull?

You should be okay if Odin said passed.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I downloaded titanium backup and backup the whole system. What is Nandroid backup?

A Nandroid backup is like an image of your phone. Get it setup just like you want it and it makes a mirror image of your phone. It is really a very good way to save your phone from mistakes that everyone makes now and again. It will complete restore our phones as it was prior to to our misfortunes. It saves everything in the exact state it was in when you backed it up. Right down to settings, password, wallpaper, email accounts, wifi setting, home screen settings. EVERYTHING.

To make a nandroid boot into CWM recovery. scroll down to backup and restore. then choose backup or restore. very simple. And crucial if you like to try different roms and kernels.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae