What should I delete? What should I add?

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
So I just rooted and I would like to know which apps and programs are safe to delete which I don't need?

What are some good apps for rooted devices? I have wifi tethering already.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Installation of ROMs is very simple..

1. Boot into your ClockWorkMod recovery
2. Select Backups & Restore (Make a backup before you change ANYTHING)
3. Return back to the main screen.
4. Do your wipes! (Data/cache/dalvik)
5. Install from sdcard (navigate to where you have a custom ROM placed on your sdcard) and follow the prompts to install.
6. Reboot from the Main screen when done into your new custom ROM!

Aside from that, removal of bloatware or apps is entirely up to you.

I suggest using an application like Titanium Backup or My Backup Root from the Google Play Store (Free versions) which has plenty of options...

1. Freeze/Unfreeze apps (this way you can experiment and not have to remove the app)
2. Backup or Restore an application & data associated with that app.
3. Delete an application

Reactions: Wc.bell

brersam

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Is there somewhere with easy explanations on which rom to choose? I'm finding it hard to choose one

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Everyone's opinions vary on what makes a good ROM.

Best thing to do is always go after a developer that is well known ( I understand this is impossible at first, but over time you get familiar with who's who of development)

Look for good reviews and comments from users and last but not least some trial and error. I normally direct new rooting and custom ROM users to download a few and place them on your sdcard, and take them each for a few day test drive :)

You can then see a little variety of what is available and make a decision at the end of a few days as to which you like the best of a few ROMs.

Don't forget to make your Nandroid Backup's so you always have one to restore back to in case something goes wrong or you just don't like what you end up with ;)

Happy flashing :)

brersam

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to root and I'm following the instructions it installed the recovery mod but not the root in odin as it says it should

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
SO what apps has everyone deleted? When a new ROM is flashed does it delete touchwiz? If I want to go back to stock touchwiz how do I do that?
Touchwiz is part of the OS, its integrated into the OS coding. Yes there is the "Touchwiz" launcher portion and that can be replaced by just installing a 3rd party launcher. Touchwiz however goes deeper into the OS integrating itself into various applications and also sets the tone for the "theme" of the OS/device. The notification area and its toggles are a perfect example of where Touchwiz is present.

Touchwiz being completely removed is only possible with a custom ROM like Cyanogen Mod ROMs which are based on AOSP source which is free of OEM UI's like Touchwiz, Moto Blur or HTC Sense.

I think the international version of the SGSIII currently has Cyanogen ROM support but it isn't available as of yet for the US versions, but that will change soon enough.