Bricked my phone!!

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So just to set the record straight I'm not a noob when it comes to root and on the s3 it doesn't get much easier. Ok so I used Odin to root my fine which was all ok but... I downloaded my first Rom black star v3 jelly bean edition. Just to put it out there in no way am I blaming the Rom but when I did attempt to flash the Rom my phone when dead. As in no power! My phone was not able to power back what so ever. O took the battery out for a few min no luck. And yes I had nearly full battery. I tried to get into download mode and recovery. Still nothing no luck. I even rtried a different battery but nothing. I was running out of luck I even sat on it for a day but couldn't figure it out. I luckily bought my s3 from bestbuy and just exchanged it for a new one. Trying time figure what went wrong but still can't. Anyone ever come across this problem?? If so please chime in cause I still want to flash that Rom lol!!

robnelle

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I see what has happened here. EVO, you appear to be using the wrong Galaxy S 3 forum. XDA has separate forums for the North American and International versions of the Galaxy S 3. You should be going here instead.

Note that the model number for the forum you got the Black Star rom is I9300. The model number for Sprint's version of GS3 is SPH L710. The devs working on North American models are trying to develop a universal rom template that will work across all North American versions but for now you must use roms specific to your model number or that explicitly state that they are compatible with Sprint. Same goes for themes.

Reactions: Stbrightman

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is one device everyone is going to have to be extremely careful when flashing ROMs.

a) Your going to have 5, US carriers supporting it. Verizon, AT &T, TMobile, Sprint & US Cellular

b) The international models

c) They all share basically the same traits across the board so pictures and such in posts won't be an easy defining factor to which model is which.

Key point... The radio's... That is where people are going to brick them. Each carrier uses a different radio/firmware and that is the most commonly known factor to bricking a device is flashing a ROM made for a similar model or one of its variants on another carrier and the radio flash causing the brick.

Pay extra attention to what your downloading and where its from. Don't just rely on the fact that you found it posted in the SGSIII Sprint section so its got to be okay. As developers and members share the links around the forums its very easy make a mistake and post in the wrong carrier forum section.

Reactions: sonarchist

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry to read about your phone. I read it last night but was too exhausted to post then. You indeed downloaded a ROM not compatible with your phone. Please view the Android Central Rom and Kernal Library This library includes every ROM and Kernel put out for our "Sprint" phone and is updated daily from both XDA and RootzWiki.

I put this database together for the purpose of helping people keep this straight. I guess it failed in that regards.

qhinton

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to read about your phone. I read it last night but was too exhausted to post then. You indeed downloaded a ROM not compatible with your phone. Please view the Android Central Rom and Kernal Library This library includes every ROM and Kernel put out for our "Sprint" phone and is updated daily from both XDA and RootzWiki.

I put this database together for the purpose of helping people keep this straight. I guess it failed in that regards.

Just reviewed your thread and want to say thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am still questioning whether j want to root or not. Although I will probably just wait for jelly bean then root. Nonetheless I was wondering. You were able to bring your phone back to best buy and exchange for a new one just like that? No hassle? No questions asked? Seems easy to brick this phone with one minor mistake. Even something so simple as downloading the wrong room for your carrier. It would ease my mind a lot more about rooting knowing I am able to return and exchange the phone. Even though I think it voids your warranty. Thanks

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I am still questioning whether j want to root or not. Although I will probably just wait for jelly bean then root. Nonetheless I was wondering. You were able to bring your phone back to best buy and exchange for a new one just like that? No hassle? No questions asked? Seems easy to brick this phone with one minor mistake. Even something so simple as downloading the wrong room for your carrier. It would ease my mind a lot more about rooting knowing I am able to return and exchange the phone. Even though I think it voids your warranty. Thanks

I think it was probably fixable using the return to stock tar in Odin but the original poster never said what he tried to fix it.

As far as I know all of the bricked phones so far have been recovered except in the cases where the owners didn't wait for the fix to come out.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Yes I had no issues at best buy. All I told them was that it shut off and it won't turn back on. To answer your question yes there is a fix for my mistake but by the time I figured it out I already had my new white s3. There's always a fix for mistakes you just have to look. The s3 community is pretty big so the chances are someone already made the mistake of bricking there phone with a fix available. I I have returned many phones at best buy and never had an issue

r3ddawn

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
So just to set the record straight I'm not a noob when it comes to root and on the s3 it doesn't get much easier. !!

I'm glad you got your issues squared away, but I couldn't stop laughing that you state your no noob when it comes to rooting/flashing, but you flashed a rom not intended for your phone, and couldn't figure out what went wrong, lol... ;) all of us have mistake days...

SpringerRider

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Not to get off topic but since we are talking about dead-ends, is there the equivalent of RSA keys for this phone? Is LTE protected by them?
If so, are they backed up by a Nandroid? That used to be the bane of Evo land way back when.

Trekker

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You were able to bring your phone back to best buy and exchange for a new one just like that? No hassle? No questions asked?

It would ease my mind a lot more about rooting knowing I am able to return and exchange the phone. Even though I think it voids your warranty.

Yes, it does void your warranty and it's sorry to see people fail to take responsibility for their own mistakes and stick it to the store instead.Those same people are probably also the first to complain about the high prices of phones and insurance.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you got your issues squared away, but I couldn't stop laughing that you state your no noob when it comes to rooting/flashing, but you flashed a rom not intended for your phone, and couldn't figure out what went wrong, lol... ;) all of us have mistake days...

A few things were making it difficult. One i have no wifi access in my apt and my lhone is the only internet device i own at the moment. Didnt feel like waiting to get onto a laptop or computer to look for a fic so yes i went with the next easiest fix. Return and get a new white one this time. simple mistake i made by not realizing it was for the international s3not us. And no noob when it comes to flashing been doing it for years.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it does void your warranty and it's sorry to see people fail to take responsibility for their own mistakes and stick it to the store instead.Those same people are probably also the first to complain about the high prices of phones and insurance.

You mean those same stores that stick it to us the consumers by selling $80+ hdmi cable. Yeah damn right im going to use my $10/mo insurance. And no i dont complain about device price just to answer your question

r3ddawn

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Not to get off topic but since we are talking about dead-ends, is there the equivalent of RSA keys for this phone? Is LTE protected by them?
If so, are they backed up by a Nandroid? That used to be the bane of Evo land way back when.

I don't believe so, I think the keys issue with the EVO was based in part to WIMAX...

Pup16001

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes I had no issues at best buy. All I told them was that it shut off and it won't turn back on. To answer your question yes there is a fix for my mistake but by the time I figured it out I already had my new white s3. There's always a fix for mistakes you just have to look. The s3 community is pretty big so the chances are someone already made the mistake of bricking there phone with a fix available. I I have returned many phones at best buy and never had an issue