Bricked my phone!!

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard from him yet. But check your pm's.

Skunk, I need hel. I think I also just bricked my phone. Everything was good , had wicked beta and wanted to get the 1.1 but thought I'd go back to unroot and see if I could get jellybean 4.1.2 that's where it all went wrong. started by re rooting and went back to ics somehow. finally updated to jb. went root and upgrade to wicked and for some reason i went back to ics. don't know how. went back to stock then came across samsung gs3 Qcom toolkit and decided that it looked like a all in one package and it be more easy i guess. folowed directions on video and locked in the middle of flash. now phone wont boot, I hear a new boot sound in the background but no screen. pretty much deat. I can go into recovery mode and tried to factory reset but that didn't work. have old backups, but honestly, i have bounced around so much freaking out. I don't know where they are or how to access them.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Skunk, I need hel. I think I also just bricked my phone. Everything was good , had wicked beta and wanted to get the 1.1 but thought I'd go back to unroot and see if I could get jellybean 4.1.2 that's where it all went wrong. started by re rooting and went back to ics somehow. finally updated to jb. went root and upgrade to wicked and for some reason i went back to ics. don't know how. went back to stock then came across samsung gs3 Qcom toolkit and decided that it looked like a all in one package and it be more easy i guess. folowed directions on video and locked in the middle of flash. now phone wont boot, I hear a new boot sound in the background but no screen. pretty much deat. I can go into recovery mode and tried to factory reset but that didn't work. have old backups, but honestly, i have bounced around so much freaking out. I don't know where they are or how to access them.

Which recovery do to have right now? Boot into recovery and tell me what you have.

Relax... You aren't bricked.

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
i dont know what recovery it is. just the standard 3 button method is what i am using. i have
reboot system now
apply update from adb
apply update from external storage
wipe data/ factory reset/wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

that's it

I also wanted to add I the phone is not connecting to my computer now, not sure it it cant recognize it because its stuck in a boot process or something else.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
i dont know what recovery it is. just the standard 3 button method is what i am using. i have
reboot system now
apply update from adb
apply update from external storage
wipe data/ factory reset/wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

that's it

You are unrooted with stock recovery and your phone won't boot. The first thing would be to get stock jb back into your phone. Since you will be flashing a full image tar you will check auto reboot. This will restore your phone to factory condition. You will have to root out after this is done.

Here is the Official tar file Un-Rooted and will become the official return to stock file. This will factory reset your device. This is also flashed in desktop Odin and will NOT add to your flash count.Download unzip and flash to your phone using Odin.

Official JellyBean LJ7 Return to stock/Update to JellyBean tar
Please thank sextape for his valuable contribution.

[Guide] HOW TO FLASH IN ODIN 3.07

Note: Flashing the PreRooted tar will not install install custom recovery. So after the phone reboots, go back into download mode and flash custom recovery in odin or you can flash it in mobile odin from your phone. Mobile Odin is available in the play store.

You can download CWM Recovery 6.0.1.2 HERE

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You are unrooted with stock recovery and your phone won't boot. The first thing would be to get stock jb back into your phone. Since you will be flashing a full image tar you will check auto reboot. This will restore your phone to factory condition. You will have to root out after this is done.

Here is the Official tar file Un-Rooted and will become the official return to stock file. This will factory reset your device. This is also flashed in desktop Odin and will NOT add to your flash count.Download unzip and flash to your phone using Odin.

Note: Flashing the PreRooted tar will not install install custom recovery. So after the phone reboots, go back into download mode and flash custom recovery in odin or you can flash it in mobile odin from your phone. Mobile Odin is available in the play store.

Thanks Skunk. I tried going into odin already but the drivers wouldnot load

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
no it won't. I am thinking of deleting the drivers and trying to redownload them, but I didn't want to do that until I talked to you about it.

- - - Updated - - -

no other gs3 around me

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
no it won't. I am thinking of deleting the drivers and trying to redownload them, but I didn't want to do that until I talked to you about it.

- - - Updated - - -

no other gs3 around me

I was going to suggest the same thing...use the drivers in my how to root guide.

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
also tried samsung GS3 toolkit and all it says is its waiting for debugging. I cant get to debugging cause I have no screen

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ok im about to delete drivers and try a reinstall get back to you in a little bit. btw, thanks for sticking this out with me and the quick response

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to give Skunk a big pat on the back. I kind of took over this thread cause I had the same issue as someone else and Skunk took a lot of time to dedicate to me and my issue. Not sure where I would be right now if he didn't help. I truly thought I screwed it up good this time. I learned allot here and can assure you this won't happen again. anyway it's guys like this that keep things going and me coming back. Maybe someday I will learn enough to be more then just dangerous and be able to pay it forward . Until then God Speed!

Parnelli98

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

Skunkape60, I have a quick question (maybe 2): Before flashing this stock ROM, is there any "prep" work to do before hand? Flashing ROMs using the (custom) recovery mode usually includes clearing out cache and Dalvik cache. Using Odin doesn't require this prep?

Also, I've read some instances of the stock recovery screen picture of the android with a red triangle in its stomach. Any idea what that means? I've read answers from "shows recovery has been hacked" to "nothing to worry about"

Thanks!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Skunkape60, I have a quick question (maybe 2): Before flashing this stock ROM, is there any "prep" work to do before hand? Flashing ROMs using the (custom) recovery mode usually includes clearing out cache and Dalvik cache. Using Odin doesn't require this prep?

Also, I've read some instances of the stock recovery screen picture of the android with a red triangle in its stomach. Any idea what that means? I've read answers from "shows recovery has been hacked" to "nothing to worry about"

Thanks!

I can give you an answer to the first, Odin overwrites everything so you really do not have to do the wipes, but you know it never hurts

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I can give you an answer to the first, Odin overwrites everything so you really do not have to do the wipes, but you know it never hurts

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes Odin will not need the cache wiped. It will overwrite.

The triangle indicates your phone has been flashed with a custom binary. Meaning is been out is rooted. It can be cleared however.

Parnelli98

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes Odin will not need the cache wiped. It will overwrite.

The triangle indicates your phone has been flashed with a custom binary. Meaning is been out is rooted. It can be cleared however.

The reason I'm asking is I would like a "just in case" plan, just in case my phone starts to misbehave and I have to return it! :p Will flashing this ROM with Oden clear this triangle? Or is clearing it more convoluted? Thanks for your help!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The reason I'm asking is I would like a "just in case" plan, just in case my phone starts to misbehave and I have to return it! :p Will flashing this ROM with Oden clear this triangle? Or is clearing it more convoluted? Thanks for your help!

Have you ever rooted before or is your phone completely stock? I ask because there is a prerooted stock tar that will not show up and will not trip the counter. In the your way to update thread. It will wipe out your installed apps and accounts but your pictures and music and stuff on the sd card is safe.

Last edited:

Parnelli98

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever rooted before or is your phone completely stock? I ask because there is a prerooted stock tar that will not show up and will not trip the counter. In the your way to update thread. It will wipe out your installed apps and accounts but your pictures and music and stuff on the sd card is safe.

I am currently running Team Venom's Wicked Sensation ROM. Its the first ROM I've ever flashed (with the help of this forum), and its pretty good. But in the event I would have to return my phone to Sprint (or make an insurance claim and mail it off), I would like a way to get it back to as stock as possible, with no incriminating, left over evidence!. I do know about the trip counter, because it tripped when I flashed the root/recovery file thru Odin. I'm not worried about losing data/apps/account info, because I've got the important stuff backed up. It doesn't kill me to re-install apps or setup accounts. That's little stuff to worry about. And if it happens to wipe my sd card, that's no big deal either. Backed up as well (I've learned my lessons about not having backups!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae