How to Turn Off Your Shutter Sound In 2 Minutes

629Classic

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
see my post about changing permissions of the file

Thanks a bunch! This method worked for me as well once I changed the permissions, and everything is working fine. However, there is now a "features.xml.bak" file showing up in addition to the "features.xml" file in the system/csc directory. Also, there are files named "contents.db" and "sales_code.dat" in the same directory. I don't recall any of these files being in the directory before I made the edit. Would anyone happen to know why these additional files are now showing?

Avery1237

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Did you delete the files instead of renaming them? I will try and get them to you.

Here's your files....

Why does my Samsung Galaxy S3 not have these files to begin with? I am using the SPH-L710 on Sprint. I cannot find any files named System, Audio or UI either. Help appreciated.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I am also a Sprint user. Could you help me out? I cannot locate any files named System, Audio or UI.
Thanks.

These are folders
system / media / audio / UI
The media folder is in the system folder.
The audio folder is in the media folder.
The ui folder is in the audio folder.
The ogg files you are looking for are in the ui folder.

Why does my Samsung Galaxy S3 not have these files to begin with? I am using the SPH-L710 on Sprint. I cannot find any files named System, Audio or UI either. Help appreciated.

You must have a root explorer such as es file explorer or root explorer.

Last edited:

Thrillhouse617

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a bunch! This method worked for me as well once I changed the permissions, and everything is working fine. However, there is now a "features.xml.bak" file showing up in addition to the "features.xml" file in the system/csc directory. Also, there are files named "contents.db" and "sales_code.dat" in the same directory. I don't recall any of these files being in the directory before I made the edit. Would anyone happen to know why these additional files are now showing?

I have those files and the modified dates are way back in the past.

Skunk- can you update the top post to make sure people are checking the permissions? May save a few pages of reading :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have those files and the modified dates are way back in the past.

Skunk- can you update the top post to make sure people are checking the permissions? May save a few pages of reading :)

You don't need to change permissions. You are just adding .bak to the end of the file names. I will have to read back a bit too figure out what you're talking about.

Edit: I think I see what you're talking about. Edited op....

Thrillhouse617

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to change permissions. You are just adding .bak to the end of the file names. I will have to read back a bit too figure out what you're talking about.

cool, I was never able to totally defeat the sounds by doing that no matter how many resets I did. seems easier

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Skunkape, the first post now reads:

3. Under find the following line
false

without saying what line we're supposed to change. I think I found it, but just want to be sure....

timbyts

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The easiest way to turn off the shutter sound is to turn down the volume BEFORE you open the camera app. Once that is done....presto...no more shutter sound. Easy as pie.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
First of all you must be rooted and have a file explorer with read/write. This is very easy and is posted by freeza at xda. So I figured I would just share the information with my friends here. So if you use this please give him a thanks.

1. browse to system/csc

2. open feature.xml in a text editor. (With root explorer hold down on the file and choose open in text editor.)

false

Change the false to true. Save and exit. Reboot your phone and under camera settings just under GPS Tag you will have the option to turn it on or off.

To get this to work you must also change permissions.

Huh? "Under find the following line
false"

What there's a line called "false" or there's a line called "find the following line?"
I'm confused and there are A LOT of lines. Somebody please clarify what line we are looking for. Thanks!

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
The easiest way to turn off the shutter sound is to turn down the volume BEFORE you open the camera app. Once that is done....presto...no more shutter sound. Easy as pie.

Uh...no. that does NOT work. At all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

nameless-

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
OK... Now I have something that does work. Here's how to shut off them camera sounds. This time I verified it works before posting. :D

system / media / audio / UI
Scroll down until you see Shutter.ogg and Shutter_multiple.ogg. To the end of both of those file names add .bak
So it will look like this:

Shutter.ogg.bak
Shutter_multiple.ogg.bak

You will (of course) need to be rooted and have read/write enabled and restart your phone. Then those pesky shutter sounds will be gone for good.

Thanks should go to drawde40599

worked perfectly !:D

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
First of all you must be rooted and have a file explorer with read/write. This is very easy and is posted by freeza at xda. So I figured I would just share the information with my friends here. So if you use this please give him a thanks.

1. browse to system/csc

2. open feature.xml in a text editor. (With root explorer hold down on the file and choose open in text editor.)

false

Change the false to true. Save and exit. Reboot your phone and under camera settings just under GPS Tag you will have the option to turn it on or off.

To get this to work you must also change permissions.

this works if you change step 3 to:
3. Under the line "CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu." Change "false" to "true."

LayeredLife

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Just rooted my phone 2 days ago.. went to the .xml file and changed it to true (show the shutter sound option while in my native camera) and RESTARTED my phone... it works perfectly.. even turned off my focus sound too!!

I also enabled the camera while making phone calls .. (same .xml file) I was updated to android 4.1.1 when I rooted... Sprint didn't allow me to use my camera while on the phone.. dumb.

Both of these changes require a restart ...

Thanks for all the help!! :cool:

GianDChik

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I have read these post multiple times trying to figure out how to root my phone to get to the Shutter sound off. I have the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3. I downloaded Es File Explorer file Manager and followed the Youtube videos to root my phone with this app. Every time i click on Root Explorer to root my phone it tells me, "Sorry test failed this feature cannot run on your device." Is there anything else I can do to get this shutter sound turned off.

Thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781