How to Turn Off Your Shutter Sound In 2 Minutes

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I have read these post multiple times trying to figure out how to root my phone to get to the Shutter sound off. I have the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3. I downloaded Es File Explorer file Manager and followed the Youtube videos to root my phone with this app. Every time i click on Root Explorer to root my phone it tells me, "Sorry test failed this feature cannot run on your device." Is there anything else I can do to get this shutter sound turned off.

Thank you
GianDChik, I don't understand your post, are you saying you are trying to root your phone with ES Explorer? Or you are rooted and trying to use it to turn off the shutter sound? You do know that ES Explorer can not root your phone? There are procedures for rooting your phone posted on this forum by Skunkape. Rooting involves installing files and flashing with a PC program called Odin. You must understand them fully, (read, read, read) or you can brick your phone. You can then use ES Explorer (I use Root Explorer) to enable your shutter sound menu by tweaking system files but ONLY AFTER you have rooted your phone. Two completely separate things. I may be wrong, but your post gives me the impression that you are trying to "root your phone with ES Explorer" (you can't).

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Updated to 4.1.2 today. Got features.xml edited but camera settings doesn't show the option.Booted 3 times and no go. Here's a copy and paste from the file:

<CscFeature_Camcorder_DefaultQuality>superfine</CscFeature_Camcorder_DefaultQuality>
<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>true</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What did you use to edit the file? ES File Explorer (and maybe other editors) has a bug that causes it to change the permissions of the file when saved. The permissions should be rw- r-- r--. ES File Explorer changes them to rw- --- ---, preventing Android from being able to read the file. If permissions have been changed, set them back to rw- r-- r--, reboot again, and you should be good to go.

While you're at it, you might also want to change the value of EnableCameraDuringCall to true.

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I noticed the rw and changed it to rw r r. No typos. Dunno.

EDIT:eek:k. Looked at it with X PLORE and it showed just r. Went back to es and it showed Rw r r. Hmm. Anyway, used X plore to change permissions and viola! All is good. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
One more thought... I was thinking about getting a Note ll but I don't like not being able to talk and surf at the same time. I wonder if there's a similar config file that would allow a change for that on the Note ll.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I noticed that ES FE doesn't seem to update the permissions until you back out from the file list and come back to it, but it sounds like you probably did that and still didn't see the accurate information. Weird.

Can't help you on the Note II. I'd check out the Note II fora for more info. I have my doubts as to whether it would be that simple, though.

I'm surprised the Note II is any different than the GS3 in that regard.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
One more thought... I was thinking about getting a Note ll but I don't like not being able to talk and surf at the same time. I wonder if there's a similar config file that would allow a change for that on the Note ll.

I'm pretty sure you already can stock out of the box. I will test later....

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Just rooted my phone 2 days ago.. went to the .xml file and changed it to true (show the shutter sound option while in my native camera) and RESTARTED my phone... it works perfectly.. even turned off my focus sound too!!

I also enabled the camera while making phone calls .. (same .xml file) I was updated to android 4.1.1 when I rooted... Sprint didn't allow me to use my camera while on the phone.. dumb.

Both of these changes require a restart ...

Thanks for all the help!! :cool:

What part of the xml file did you change to allow you to use your camera while on the phone or is it self explanitory?

Edited: Found it

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know if bezel zoom can be turned back on by editing a file? I'm miss'n it.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Have option to turn off/on shutter sound (only works for camera, find out for camcorder), allowing to take picture while on call (only works for camera, find out for camcorder)

Go to /system/csc/feature.xml

Change from RO to RW

Open in Text Editor

Look for the line:
<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>true</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu> &
<CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>false</CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>

Change all the "false" to "true"

Make sure permissions on the file are rw- r-- r--

Restart phone

cadbob

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Have option to turn off/on shutter sound (only works for camera, find out for camcorder), allowing to take picture while on call (only works for camera, find out for camcorder)

Go to /system/csc/feature.xml

Change from RO to RW

Open in Text Editor

Look for the line:
<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>true</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu> &
<CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>false</CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>

Change all the "false" to "true"

Make sure permissions on the file are rw- r-- r--

Restart phone

This worked great. What I found was using Root Explorer I would edit the lines and save, of course change the permissions before and after the editing of, but "true" would change back to false. I believe it has something to do with Root Explorer not Mounting the Drive Volume. I'm not a Linux expert but when I used ES Explorer and had to go in and set Root Permissions for it, I noticed the screen text flash to Mounting Volume.
I then followed above and BINGO! I like the Menu Option better than just removing the sound file.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys sorry to dig up a 1-2 month thread but is it possible for me to root my note 2 disabl the shutter and then unroot?
Thanks

I suspect the answer is yes, but don't really know. I think this question would be better asked, and more likely to be answered, in the Note 2 forum. This is the GS3 forum.

billard412

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys sorry to dig up a 1-2 month thread but is it possible for me to root my note 2 disabl the shutter and then unroot?
Thanks

Check these two Posts - even though this is a G3 forum, there is some info on billard412's mode here for the Note 2.

Read post #74 here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/253395-4-1-2-gs3-sprint-3.html#post2633979

Then jump to billard412's post #87 thru #90 here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/253395-4-1-2-gs3-sprint-4.html

He is the "man" that makes the mod!

LOL way ahead of ya...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...only-toggle-camera-shutter-sound-no-root.html

And skunkape: Sorry if I missed it and someone covered this already but as long as this thread has been up I didn't know people were renaming files.
IF YOU CHANGED THE XML FILES AND YOUR SHUTTER SOUND STILL WILL NOT TURN OFF:
Open your build.prop and go to the bottom. Scroll up slowly and find this line:
"ro.camera.sound.forced=1"

change the 1 to a 0 and save the file. No need to rename sound files...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams