question

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
always wipe...first rule of flashing.

Sometimes you get away with not wiping, but more often than not, something little will get screwed up.

You are losing all your data anyway during the flash so what do you have to lose?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If this phone is anything like the galaxy 2 wiping before a restore from recovery can brick your phone.

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
always wipe...first rule of flashing.

Sometimes you get away with not wiping, but more often than not, something little will get screwed up.

You are losing all your data anyway during the flash so what do you have to lose?

If this phone is anything like the galaxy 2 wiping before a restore from recovery can brick your phone.

I think we have a serious problem here... lol

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how doing a factory reset would brick a phone. They kinda built it in for a reason but please enlighten me. I has an original galaxy and the charge and both were wipe first.

Edit: I googled it real quick and there are whole guides on wiping before flashing

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how doing a factory reset would brick a phone. They kinda built it in for a reason but please enlighten me. I has an original galaxy and the charge and both were wipe first.

Edit: I googled it real quick and there are whole guides on wiping before flashing

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

Actually it is a epic touch issue and cwm issue. I earlier just glanced through the thread because a friend told me about it. But after going back, It was really more to do with flashing a ics Rom and then flashing a backup of gingerbread. The partitions were different as to what was stored on them. Causing the issue. I was told this was only an issue when using cwm version 9.

But as far as restoring a backup from custom recovery, there is no reason to wipe as everything is being cleared during the backup process.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
i mostly agree with you on the restore end but it doesn't hurt anything to do it, it is a good habit to have, and you can still get remnants in the davlic cache

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12