[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
If I just wanted to update to JB from a rooted phone with CWM all I need to do is flash that last file you linked to, right? Also, is there a good place to watch to find the newest pre-rooted stock ROMs when they come out? I'm really only seeing lists of custom ROMs when I look.

EDIT: well, I see now that's an exe. Guess I'll check it out when I get home.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

JohnTRN

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I would download this Pre rooted Jellybean tar and flash it just like you did in the first guide EXCEPT check auto restart.

After it starts go back to downlode mode and flash the CWM recovery again. And again select auto restart.

This method will wipe your data but it should clean up whatever super one click did to you.

Thanks for the quick reply SkunkApe60! I followed your directions for Unroot and return to stock using KIES_HOME_L710VPALI3_L710SPRALI3_1092716_REV03_user_low_ship.tar (latest from Samsung Mobile) and returned the phone to a functioning state. I'm going to try the Pre rooted Jellybean tar sometime in the near future.

John

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey Skunk, I just want to say thanks for the efforts you've put forth with this device. I'm not the proud owner of a rooted GS3 :mad: bwahahahaha
Now off to go flash some ROMs.

dtizzle79

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey Skunk thanks for sharing this and all of the help you provide. I'm sort of a beginner at this rooting stuff, and I successfully rooted my phone using your guide and the 1st thing I wanted to do before flashing roms was do a nandroid backup, but I keep getting error messages. Any ideas why??

Thanks

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Skunk thanks for sharing this and all of the help you provide. I'm sort of a beginner at this rooting stuff, and I successfully rooted my phone using your guide and the 1st thing I wanted to do before flashing roms was do a nandroid backup, but I keep getting error messages. Any ideas why??

Thanks

How are you trying? open recovery and let me know the version number cwm you have installed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just followed this and rooted my phone running the stock JB from Sprint. :D

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If i flash back to stock official rom will i still be able to get and install OTA updates coming later this year and next year?

Yes, I will have an updated return to stock stickied in this forum before the end of the day. Which will give you two choices.

1. Return to LEN stock ICS
2. Return to LJ7 stock Jellybean

bp240

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Will this root method work for the S3 if my phone was updated to 4.1? I found a pc to do this on, however I originally had planned on using my Mac but found out that the process (which uses terminal on osx and appears to be way different than this) only worked for S3s running ICS.

EDIT: sorry I skipped a few pages, I see the answer already. My bad guys

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Will this root method work for the S3 if my phone was updated to 4.1? I found a pc to do this on, however I originally had planned on using my Mac but found out that the process (which uses terminal on osx and appears to be way different than this) only worked for S3s running ICS.

EDIT: sorry I skipped a few pages, I see the answer already. My bad guys

This is VERY Easy...

bp240

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, rebooting, etc and still cannot get odin to see my phone. I went into download mode, plugged my phone in and nothing seems to ever happen. Is there any other reason this would be happening? or a way around this?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, rebooting, etc and still cannot get odin to see my phone. I went into download mode, plugged my phone in and nothing seems to ever happen. Is there any other reason this would be happening? or a way around this?

Have you tried restarting your computer? Also try different usb ports and cables.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I meant to write restarting, not rebooting. Yes I tried that and tried all of the usb ports. I'll have to find another cable and try that.

disconnect phone
Remove drivers
Reboot
Reinstall drivers from thread
After the driver software loads.....
Restart phone (Do not have phone in download mode.)
Plug phone into the computer.
Windows should now recognize the phone and finish loading the drivers.
safely remove the hardware.
Open Odin
setup odin in accordance with the instructions
put phone into download mode by pressing volume DOWN, power and home simultaneously until you see a warning then release and press volume up.
Odin should recognize your phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois