[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Irish#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to root my new s3 with this method. I have installed drivers, i have odin running and it sees the phone when its in download mode. The problem is the computer dosnt see the pnoe so I cant tell odin the path to the recovery file in the s3 root folder. any ideas?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to root my new s3 with this method. I have installed drivers, i have odin running and it sees the phone when its in download mode. The problem is the computer dosnt see the pnoe so I cant tell odin the path to the recovery file in the s3 root folder. any ideas?

Read the instructions... the root from recovery file is flashed from recovery not Odin. Pull the battey. Disconnect the phone from the computer. Put the battery back in. And boot to recovery.

The file your flashing in Odin is on your computer. Recovery.tar.

Last edited:

cajunlibra

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted Epic 4G Touch. I just bought my partner a GS3 for Sprint and want to root it. He's out of town and I'll see him next week. Can I root the phone now and activate it when I see him? I don't want to encounter any problems.

Thanks

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted Epic 4G Touch. I just bought my partner a GS3 for Sprint and want to root it. He's out of town and I'll see him next week. Can I root the phone now and activate it when I see him? I don't want to encounter any problems.

Thanks

I do not know if Sprint sees (If anything), so I can't say for sure. I doubt it will make a difference but I really don't want to give out the wrong information.

jjackson20

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This is a great thread and an easy way to root, so first off thanks. But the problem I'm running into is that even after running through the entire process, I still don't have root access. I'm trying to change system files and it won't let me. And I'm trying to create a free mifi hot spot but that's not working either. Any suggestions for these issues?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This is a great thread and an easy way to root, so first off thanks. But the problem I'm running into is that even after running through the entire process, I still don't have root access. I'm trying to change system files and it won't let me. And I'm trying to create a free mifi hot spot but that's not working either. Any suggestions for these issues?

Download root checker from the play store. If it shows you have root, then it's the app you are using. The stock files app won't show system files. You will need to install esfile explorer from the playstore.

For Wi-Fi tether, go to the playstore and install SuperSu. Then download and install the Wi-Fi tether found on this thread.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=

jjackson20

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Download root checker from the play store. If it shows you have root, then it's the app you are using. The stock files app won't show system files. You will need to install esfile explorer from the playstore.

For Wi-Fi tether, go to the playstore and install SuperSu. Then download and install the Wi-Fi tether found on this thread.
xda-developers

Thanks the root access checked out, but I still am unable to change files in the system folders. (I'm trying to get rid of that stupid camera shutter sound) And the link you gave me for XDA led to a dead page. Was there more to that URL?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks the root access checked out, but I still am unable to change files in the system folders. (I'm trying to get rid of that stupid camera shutter sound) And the link you gave me for XDA led to a dead page. Was there more to that URL?

Thanks again!

Have you installed es file explorer?

You guys need to start reading. This was posted in the thread about how it disable you camera sounds. The thread wasn't that long...

The stock "My Files" app will NOT work for this. Download Es File Explorer File Manager from the playstore (it is free and will serve our purposes.) Do NOT try to install ES File Explorer (1.5 Cupcake).

After installing from the market open es file explorer and say yes to the version 1.6.1.6 splash screen and push the menu button, now press settings(you will see a little gear icon). Now that your in the settings, scroll to the bottom and check the box "Root Explorer" It will give you a silly warning about SU Request ignore the warning and press the "Yes" Button. If you are properly rooted a Superuser Request button should come up. choose "Allow". Now check the box "Mount File System" You are now setup to read and write from es file explorer.

Press your back button (Once) to exit the settings menu. In the top left of your screen you will see a star and favorites. press that button. In the favorites menu you will see a phone icon. push the "Phone Icon"

Scroll down to the system folder and press on it.
Find the "Media Folder" and press on it.
Find the "Audio Folder" and press on it.
Find the "UI Folder" and press on it.
Scroll down to the "Shutter.ogg file". Press and Hold until the menu shows up and choose rename. Rename file to Shutter.ogg.bak by adding .bak to the end. Click ok when done.
Find "Shutter _multiple.ogg" Complete the same steps as you previously did with Shutter.ogg.

Back out of the ES File explorer app and reboot your phone and enjoy your silent shutter.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
How do i remove this? since i installed this, my PC wont recognize my Device... PLEASE HELP!

Root has nothing to do with your pc not recognizing your phone. Let's try fixing it first. Here's what I want you to try...

1. Right click on my computer.
2. Choose Properties
3. Choose advanced advanced system settings
4. from the hardware tab click "device installation settings"
5. select "no,... Never install driver software from windows update.
Close

Now do the following

1. go to your computers control panel / add and remove software (win xp) or programs and features windows 7.
2. Uninstall Kies and Samsung drivers.
3. When complete, restart computer and phone.

Download these Drivers

4. Install the drivers on your computer but do not plug in your phone until it has completed.
5. plug in your phone that is already started. It should now recognize your phone and at the bottom right corner say it is installing the software for your phone. click on view details. Several drivers should load and as it progresses green checks will appear when successful.

Last edited:

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked but will this method wipe my phone? I just want t root and keep my existing OS,apps,Ext

If not, is there a method to root without wiping everything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463